Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shooting my hoyt alphamax and do like the bow but i have contemplated adding rkt on. Now I'm wondering if doing this would be worth while? if so what cams and mods would i need for 27.5 draw and also what would be the new string and cable length? All input is appreciated.
Mitch

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,340 Posts
I think it will cost more money than it is worth. alpha max definetely one of Hoyt's all time best bows, but whenever you change out cams, you got alot of expense and no guarantees.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I did it on a maxxis 31 and the results were very worth it. That is if you're not opposed to spending $275 on cams and strings. Picked up about 10-12 fps and it was much smoother. Another notable difference was the valley. The rkt has a little deeper valley than the xtr cams. String and cable lengths are pretty easy.

All of this being said, this voids your warranty, is somewhat costly for an upgrade, and does not guarantee anything.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I did it on a Maxxis 35 worth it if you get the cams 2nd hand . What I did was take notice of the Hoyt AE 2011 was fuel ( XTR) and the AE2012 is RKT & took notice with cable length etc . I found out the Maxxis ran 1/2" longer like the AE 2011 vs 2012.I just used stock strings & twisted / untwisted the cables / string etc untill I got what I wanted & then , made new strings at the lengths I had worked out

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
you can find cams here used well under 100 and string set around 75, you would need #2 rkt cams..... prolly something like a B mod, but mods are easy to get and change....

ive done RKT and Z5 swaps on AM bows and matrix and maxxis also....like them much better than xtr cams myself.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts

ive done RKT and Z5 swaps on AM bows and matrix and maxxis also....like them much better than xtr cams myself.[/QUOTE]

I went from XTR to spirals & found spirals were more user friendly

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did the mod and got the rkt cams on and poundage has gone way up. Is there something I could've done wrong?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Poundage will go up. Did you get new strings too?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same strings the shop I took it too didn't put cables to right pegs but I fixed it was getting a bit nervous

1 - 12 of 12 Posts