Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup:
Hoyt U-Tec, 60lbs, 28.5" draw, Cam & 1/2, XT2000,VT Limb Driver, Bucknasty Strings (floating yoke), Orig. cable slide & rod

I just discovered that the serving on the buss cable (lower cam end) has been cut open by the cam. I have noticed a little rough spot on it from the contact of the cam and always kept it waxed heavy hoping it would help. Guess I was wrong. I put the rig on a draw board and have found that the small round cam is what is rubbibg against the cable chaffing it. Someone told me to check the cam bushings and I "believe" it is correct. The thicker bushing on the left side and thinner on the right (looking at it from the string side). Another suggestion was cam lean. With the cable slide on...the top cam leans into the cable guard and the lower away from the cable guard. With the cable slide removed...the top cam is straight and the lower cam is still leaned away from the cable guard. I know with a static yoke you can fix the upper cam lean...but what about the lower cam? Also, how tight should the cam bearings be? I can move both cams a little...but what are the tolerances for this.

Needless to say this came at a VERY bad time! Bow season starts in 10 days here. I have the original cable that I can put back in for the time being, but I need to figure out what the problem is before I chew up another cable. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I hate to have to send it back to Hoyt at this time of the year.

Thanx, Dave

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I would also like to know how to fix this issue.

PM Javi....

He is a hybird cam master

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This has been a problem area for the cam.5 systems, at least on the cam.5 bows I've had. My Trykon has the same issue. What I did to alleviate the chaffing, at least somewhat, is as follows:

Take a piece of teflon based tape, (which I got from my wife's uncle years ago and not sure where to get it now, or some other slick faced tape that will stick well), and cut a piece about 1/4" longer than the round control cable track and about 1/4" taller, round the top to match the CC track.

Press the bow and get the control cable off the small round track. Apply the tape to the side of the round track where the cable rubs and roll the excess into the control cable track. The control cable should then be replaced, it will hold the tape in place and the slick surface of the tape will help with the chaffing. The tape should go all the way to the bottom of the side of the round control cable track and be pressed firmly in place and be smoothed out, no wrinkles. I also wax the serving to help it slide though the area smoothly.

I know this is just a bandaid, but does help. I will be interested to see what Javi has to say on the matter.

Passthrough

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
You could have to big of serving on the string where it goes around the cam and fastens to the peg, this is the biggest problem of what you have described. Probally should have had 1D end loop or mini serving on it and you would not have had this problem, now you are gonna have to have it reserved and in the right hands will only take a few minutes. It you can bring it over later I have time to fix it for you.:wink: you can also add cam ez to the string and to the groove and this will lubricate the friction area.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Most of the time the problem is an aftermarket cable slide, or someone has gotten the thrustwashers reversed... 0.050 on the string side... 0.030 on the cable side.

There were some cams that had a very sharp edge on the cable groove and you can eliminate that with a small file or emory board.

The cable end serving is also sometimes an issue especially with strand bundles of larger size.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the shims per Javi and they are correct. I'm also using the stock slide so that rules that out. I measured my old serving vs the new one and the new one is actually smaller then the stock cable. Checked the cam, no burrs and it doesn't feel sharp. I'm really starting to wonder if I have a weak limb that is cocking the cam over. I might try the teflon tape fix just to get me thru the hunting season.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Kid,

I thought the same about my limbs but have looked at them as the draw cycle flows and found they don't torque very much, pretty much straight throughout the cycle. I have Vaportrail on my Trykon and the stock slide. There is just enough angle from the slide to the cam to cause the rub/chaffing.

One more thing about the Teflon tape thing. The tape I have is old and doesn't stick as well as I would like, so after a few hundred shots it has moved a little and has a wrinkle in it. I replace when that happens. I need to stop by the hardware store and see if I can find a roll of teflon based tape to replace the old stuff. Also, when getting ready to roll the tape into the CC round track, With the tape already stuck on the side of the track, I cut small wedges out of the tape to be rolled so it doesn't bunch up under the cable. This turns out cleaner and holds better.

Passthrough

1 - 8 of 8 Posts