Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to find some info on the hoyt cam/wheel selection.
What are the pros and cons of a spiral cam and cam 1/2?

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
I have only test shot one but I can say they have a very short valley. Speed will be the biggest pro.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that for both style cams? Have you ever shot a BK dually? Is the draw cycle anything like it?

·
Registered
747 Posts
The draw cycle is not like a BK. It ius quite a bit smoother. The BK gets most of it's speed from the short valley. The Spiral also has a short valley, but not nearly as short. Also the BK stacks up sooner than the spiral, but the spiral cam is a much much smoother cam to shoot.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
the reg cam.5 is adjustable while the spiral isn't. so basically if you get the wrong cam the first time you can sometimes call hoyt and the will replace to the size you need if you do it in the first month.( from personal knowledge) I prefer the spirals over the reg cam.5 just because i have never shot mutli-length adjustable cams. never liked them. with the spirals on a 2000 limbed bow i feel teh draw cycle is rather harsh compared to cam.5 and 2000 limbs.

now with 3000 limbs and spirals that is like a fat kid loves cake!

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Hoyt cam's

I own 2 cam.5 bows, and 1 spiral cam. The cam.5 are both set up for bowhunting, so the draw wght. is about 7-8lbs. more than my target bow with the spirals. They are all lightning fast :smile: but as someone else stated spirals are not adjustable when it comes to your draw length, the cam.5 are. You should go to a pro shop, and try them out, and see which one feels the best to you, that is the only way to find out which cam system you will want. But as far asa speed, both are very fast cams.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
cams

I'm just finishing testing a UT with spiral cams...I've shot one with cam and a halfs, and if i was looking for a solid wall to shoot from, and real speed, I would go with the spirals...i am shooting a 27" draw 40" UT with 300 limbs and 27" spiral cams on it...at 27" I shoot 281 at 58#...not too scabby for a stubby little armed person like myself. The cam and a half is slower (about 7-10fps) at this length, but the draw is smoother...I mean the rollover on the spirals is a bit more steep...not uncomfortable, just noticeably steeper...and with the spirals there is no creeping...I mean NO CREEPING...you creep just a little and it's gone! Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the UT with either cam, but for 3-D, I'd go with the spirals.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I have a bow with Spiral cams and a bow with the BT dually cams. They are very similar in draw feel -- i.e. both harsh! The spirals are not smooth to draw regardless of what proponents claim, neither are the BT dually cams.

These 2 cam systems generate a lot of speed, and I would not want to shoot either at much more than 60#.

The cam 1/2 is a lot easier to draw.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Smoothness and difficulty of the draw cycle is a matter of personal opinion... Mine is that when used with XT3000 limbs the draw is very smooth and extremely manageable... But I like the solid wall and the lack of a valley... this not a cam for those inclined to get lazy on the shot, you need to stay in the draw....

·
Registered
747 Posts
After coming from shooting a 2002 Black Knight, 2004 Pro 40, & 2004 Patriot Dually over the last 3 years, then to the Ultratech XT 2000 with spirals, I really do think that the spirals are still smoother. They are still a comparable speed cam which is much harsher than the majority of cams out there though.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Javi

Man, you are the greatest wealth of Hoyt info., please keep up the great work. :thumbs_up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts