Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting one of these bows, got a few questions.

The one I'm looking at has #2 cams, but I'm a 28-1/2" to 29" draw, can I stretch it out to a 28-1/2" draw?

If I go to a #3 cam will I also need new strings?

Not that it matters much, but will the #2 cam be faster at 28" than the #3 at 28-1/2"?

·
Registered
Bear Paradox
265 Posts
#2 cam maxes out at 28. If you go to #3 I believe you would need new strings as well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You will need new strings when you change the cam on any of the DFX cam bows. You would be better to go to the #3 cam. You have a little more flexibility as you get the bow set up in your draw range...

·
Registered
521 Posts
the carbon defiant 34 #2 cam maxes at 29"

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ya, this one is a 30. I think I'll need new strings and cables.
Hoyt tend to run slightly long and there is room for tuning with the cables and dloop. I'd try it as is and go from there. Love mine btw.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a few of these and if I were you personally I would make sure it is either a 2.1 cam or a #3 cam but with you being that draw length it would be a #3 cam and strings personally but it is a great bow no question about it you can’t go wrong with any of em. Good luck and merry Christmas

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input so far fellas.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also you should know that if you put number 3 cams on a bow that had number 2 the draw weight will drop about 5-8 pounds.
Thanks for the info, I think I'll just tweak the cables and maybe stretch the D-loop if need be.

·
Registered
718 Posts
also be aware that if yo make the ATA a bit longer you will add DL. But also lose weight.. It's a double edge sword. I've supertuned about 20 DFX cam bows so far. And I've done a lot of side by side testing for #1 and #2 and #2.1. Both in tuning and speed. I'd say you shouldn't try to tweek more than 1/2" if you want top performance. And swapping cams does require limb change if you want the same DW.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also be aware that if yo make the ATA a bit longer you will add DL. But also lose weight.. It's a double edge sword. I've supertuned about 20 DFX cam bows so far. And I've done a lot of side by side testing for #1 and #2 and #2.1. Both in tuning and speed. I'd say you shouldn't try to tweek more than 1/2" if you want top performance. And swapping cams does require limb change if you want the same DW.

Thank you!

If I can get to a 28-1/2" draw I should be good. My RPM 360 at 29" was about the same draw length as my CST at 28-1/2 and I can shoot that short of a draw but any shorter and my accuracy drops and I seem to fatigue quicker. I've found 29-1/2" is getting too long, not long enough to start slapping my arm but long enough I'm stretched wide open.

If I stretch my release 1/8", my D-loop 1/8", and tweak an extra 1/2" out of the cables I should be good.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think side plates will give me an extra 1/8" as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
As you know its as or more important to get the string n peep in the right spot on your face vs just the relaxed release and longer loop. I shoot 31.5 in draw and just got a carbon defiant 2017 with number 3 cams. With the side plates and set in 31 in setting it sure is comfortable for me. I think the hoyts might run a 1/4 in long anyway. Good luck I love my carbon defiant two arrows n two dead deer. Hauling up a mountain next september for an elk hope 3 for 3!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have the 31" Carbon Defiant in the #3 29" draw 70 lbs shooting 455 gr FMJ 284 FPS and is very smooth!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Never owned the dfx cams but Hoyt usually run a tad long. I would be willing to bet a nice chunk of $$ that you could get an actual 28.5 measured out of that cam with little to no effort. I would certainly at least try before ordering #3 cam.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think if it doesn't fit I'll just go with the rx1, by the time I mess around with changing the cams and what not I'll be in it for the same money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts