Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a upgraded bow from what I have now and have narrowed it down to these two bows. I will be mostly shooting 3D but may also start bow hunting with it. Just for reference I shoot a 29 inch draw and around 60ish pounds but working my way to 70. What would be the better choice and why?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I think the HTR would be the better target bow and would make a good hunting bow. For hunting only I'd probably go with the Element, which I doubt would make a great 3D bow unless you weighted it down quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The mannerisms of those two bows are at opposite ends of the spectrum... the HTR is very pleasant to shoot, super quiet, very accurate. The Carbon Element is faster.

·
Registered
870 Posts
My now gone 2011 Carbon Element 60#/29” draw was the wost shooting bow I’ve had under hunting conditions. It had very jumpy cams with a super short valley. The grip probably didn’t fit my hand but the bare riser was no better. Too many times in the field the arrow went somewhere other than where the sight pin was located. You couldn’t give me another one!!! I’d get the Mathews based on what I know about them. I never owned an HTR but all my one cams, especially the Drenalin and LX were good shooting hunting bows.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm looking to get a upgraded bow from what I have now and have narrowed it down to these two bows. I will be mostly shooting 3D but may also start bow hunting with it. Just for reference I shoot a 29 inch draw and around 60ish pounds but working my way to 70. What would be the better choice and why?
HTR hands down the carbon bow will require lots of stabilizer weight to hold steady and the back wall is awfull

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
If you want a light bow hunting, get a 2014 Carbon Sprder Turbo with the smooth shooting Z5 cams (it's really easy to add weights if you want) and perfectly balanced. 6" brace, 33" ATA, and 340 IBO. 29" is a "C" mod. The jumpy cams the posters are referring to are the 2010 (XR cam) and 2011 (fuel cam) the RKT cams in 2012 and 2013 are good. I like the Matrix way better than the Element (same bow with a 35" ATA) I have lots of bows and the 2013 Matrix is a keeper and a fantastic 3D bow. The HTR is a really smooth forgiving bow but a lot slower, it is top/forward and takes a lot of back bar weight to fix it IMO.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If the Element is a 2012 or 2013 with RKT cams it should be a nice drawing and holding bow. The earlier ones with the Fuel cams, not so much.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
HTR hands down the carbon bow will require lots of stabilizer weight to hold steady and the back wall is awfull

This is just not true, If the draw length is spot on, And your form is solid you should have no issues holding steady with ANY bow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I own and have owned many different bows and my Mathews no cam is going nowhere.....ever. In fact it’s a right handed bow and I switched to left handed a year ago due eye dominance and I killed a deer with it this year. It’s just a great all around rig, great draw and holds steady as a rock. It’s the only right hand bow I still own and can’t imagine parting with it. You will not regret getting the HTR!

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is just not true, If the draw length is spot on, And your form is solid you should have no issues holding steady with ANY bow.

Shoot much ? I have owned two of the Hoyt carbon bow and had to add a boat load of weight to shoot them constantly in 3d

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
Shoot much ? I have owned two of the Hoyt carbon bow and had to add a boat load of weight to shoot them constantly in 3d

I shoot around 2-3 3d shoots every weekend. Why would you need a ton of weight to constantly shoot the bow?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I shoot around 2-3 3d shoots every weekend. Why would you need a ton of weight to constantly shoot the bow?

We don't everyone just runs long stabilizers with weight on it to look cool it has nothing to do with getting a better hold on target

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
We don't everyone just runs long stabilizers with weight on it to look cool it has nothing to do with getting a better hold on target

Okay what did you just say again? Also i have videos to prove my shooting, I know exactly what stabilizers do and how they can be beneficial! But they are not some magical fix that will instantly make everyone hold steady and shoot like jesse broadwater!

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
The guys I see with a lot ow weights on their bows, especially the side bars are the Mathews guys because they are top heavy forward with a bare bow. The carbon bows have a neutral balance, I can see why you would not want a carbon bow if you add lots of weights. I had a 2014 Carbon Spyder, a 2014 Carbon Spyder Turbo, and a 2015 Carbon Spyder ZT and they all balanced perfectly without even adding a stabilizer (Unless I added a HHA Kingpin, then I used sidebar)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 2012 Hoyt Carbon Element that I use for 3d and hunting. That bow balances perfect without any weight, the only reason I added a 10" B-stinger to the front, was because if it was windy out, I tended to float too much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts