Archery Talk Forum banner

Hoyt Charger vs. older model Hoyt bows?

15838 Views 36 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  cyclepath
I've been researching the purchase of a new hunting bow and I've finally narrowed it down to a Hoyt. I have a self-imposed bare bones bow maximum price of $500 (approx), so the Charger is a no-brainer.
Question, though. I have never shot any of the older model Hoyts that are comparable in terms of brace heights, ATA, and IBO speeds and would be interested to get some feedback on the pros & cons (if any) of possibly trying to pick up a new 2011 or 2012 Rampage XT or CRX32 in lieu of the Charger, assuming I could buy one for the same max price. These other bows all originally listed for much more $$, so I'm assuming that they're of equal if not better quality than the Charger. If I could luck into a Vector 32 for that price, that'd be even better.
Aside from 5-8 fps step up in speed to the Vector, are all of these bows more or less the same preformance-wise? I realize there are are a few distinct construction differences such as the string roller guards, etc. on the higher end models, but are there noticeable differences in performance and handling with the RXT and CRX that the average shooter would be able to readily discern?
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
13,544 Posts
There is not much of a performance difference. "The Charger is basically an Alpha Max, but with a magnesium composite riser instead of a machined aluminum riser." That is a quote from the head compound bow design engineer at Hoyt; he told it to me in person. Also, the new magnesium composite is way better than earlier uses in other bow brands.

With a new Charger you will get a full warranty, whereas with a used older one, you will get no warranty. You may never need the warranty, but sometimes Hoyt limbs have superficial splintering--free new limbs with a warranty; out $200 without one.

I would get the new Charger.

· Registered
471 Posts
I'll be interested to see what people will have to say. I picked up a loaded Alphamax, which has very close specs to the charger, for about $400. I have wondered how it compare to the charger. If you know your draw length and weight you'll like to shoot, I don't see how you can miss with a used Aphamax, Maxxis, Or CRX. And many times people have already upgraded strings and cables, rest, etc. just have to be patient and watch the classifieds. Or put out what your looking for and see if they come to you.

· Registered
2,157 Posts
Hoyt has a lot of good bows to offer and I agree the charger is sweet. You can many times find a great deal for a used hoyt in the classifieds. I got a great crx32 for a good price. It had never been shot. So keep your eyes peeled. It's a risk losing the warranty but one I am willing to take.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a Charger, and it is a great bow. I'm selling it because I got a Spyder Turbo, but I would have been perfectly happy with the Charger, were it not for my desire to have a bit longer ATA for 3D. It has such a great draw cycle, it is really a pleasure to shoot, it's quiet and vibe free. Hoyt is selling a ton of these because it is so much bow for the money.

· Registered
4,108 Posts
I've shot my brother's Charger and even though it's 1.5 inch's to long in dl and 70 pound's it's a smooth drawing bow. It's a really nice budget line bow and I'm comparing it to my Spyder Turbo. You will not be disappointed with the Charger.

· Registered
3,486 Posts
If you can, shoot as many as you can and see what fits you best, but since your asking, i have had a rampage XT since the year they came out and for me it a great bow. I would hesitate to buy the charger if i was looking for a new bow, it in the same price range. But i know there are some great deals on last years and even 2 year old bows, some of which have never been shot or shot very little. if you want to get a bow now, then i would take a hard look at the charger, but if you can wait alittle, keep a close eye on the classifieds and you may be able to pick up a great bow for a great price. Oh and do yourself a favor, with the money that you are gonna save by keeping your bow under $500, get the best accesorries you can afford. they can make a world of difference for your new bow.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
For the plastic limb pockets?

hahahaha, no, because it is a mathews! there is nothing better, lol. some people fail to realize that just because mathews was ONCE an industry leader, that there are so many bows on the market that will smash any mathews bow into powder....the brainwashing still works on those not yet smart enough to realize what is going on....they dont look at the facts and the numbers, they only look at the well outdated and untrue 'catch us if you can.." BUT i did hear they are actually bringing out a new catch phrase for the 2014 models.....

"Catch us if....HEY YOU GUYS, WAAAAIT UP!!!!!" ....."this aint very fair at all guys, lets go build guitars..." this kid is the absolute poster boy for fanboy that posts nothing but garbage and bias opinions that are totally oposite of the true facts...

· Registered
1,924 Posts
You'll get a lifetime warranty , who cares ?

Monster Chill ❄
because when you buy a Hoyt, you dont need a warranty! i dont care how good a companies cs or warranty is...i dont want a bow i will constantly HAVE to use it...i dont wanna spend money on a bow that is getting fixed more than it gets shot....i pay for a bow, so I should be the one with the bow.....NOT the people i gave money to to have the bow, seems backwards to me.....

· Banned
5,673 Posts
because when you buy a Hoyt, you dont need a warranty! i dont care how good a companies cs or warranty is...i dont want a bow i will constantly HAVE to use it...i dont wanna spend money on a bow that is getting fixed more than it gets shot....i pay for a bow, so I should be the one with the bow.....NOT the people i gave money to to have the bow, seems backwards to me.....
Lol you don't need a warranty with Hoyt huh? You better check the famous "limb splinter" problem.

Monster Chill ❄

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.