Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I'm a Newbie to this great site. I have been shooting an AR-34 for the last 10 years and decided it's time for a change since my daughter is now strong enough to pull legal hunting weight and can now hunt with me. I have heard great things about the Charger and am looking seriously at them for me and my daughter. I haven't shot one yet, but hopefully will be able to this week. I wanted to hear form all you guy's and gal's that own one and let me know what you think, both good and bad. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can't go wrong -- 90% quality of Hoyt's top of the line bows at 1/3 the price. It will hunt or shoot Target with no problem.

rbro

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have a new 2015 on order and looking forward to it getting here. The one I shot in the shop I really liked.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
how big is she? better make sure she holds one that's got sights, rest, quiver etc. on it before you buy it to see if she can hold it. if she isn't a big athletic girl there are lots of other bows that will fit her physique and strength level better imo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
madman, she is 5'4" and has a 24 inch draw length. You make a great point. I was also looking at the ignite as well for her. I can't wait to shoot the Charger myself to see if it will be a good bow to replace my AR.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not Arron, but if Hoysts prediction for shipping is correct, mine will be 6 weeks for Black and full package.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not Arron, but if Hoysts prediction for shipping is correct, mine will be 6 weeks for Black and full package.
Hey Rock, I haven't seen a black out one in person yet, just the camo'd one. The pic's of the blackout look awesome! I'll be hunting with mine, so do you think they might be shiny in the sun?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hey Rock, I haven't seen a black out one in person yet, just the camo'd one. The pic's of the blackout look awesome! I'll be hunting with mine, so do you think they might be shiny in the sun?
No it won't be. All the ones I seen are pretty flat black.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Arron, how long of a wait do you have on your 2015?
It is supposed to ship from Hoyt this week so my dealer said he should have it next week. It will be a total of 9 weeks for me. Which I think is pretty silly for a standard blackout Charger. Some different dealers around me had camo in stock but I just do not like a camo bow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No it won't be. All the ones I seen are pretty flat black.
Blackout is a matte finish available for hunting bows. Black is a shiny finish available for target bows.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Blackout is a matte finish available for hunting bows. Black is a shiny finish available for target bows.
Yes and he was talking about blackout. Its not shiny at all. Black is shiny paint or anodize its a target color available on almost any bow.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Hell of a bow for the money (or any price for that matter). I can shoot whatever I want, but really like it when I really find value in what I buy - I hunt with a Hoyt Charger! I've been shooting bows for over 30 years and find this bow to be all I need in a hunting bow. Smooth, fast, accurate, quiet and lightweight. If you can find a 2013 model they have better limb pockets (aluminum instead of plastic). May or may not be better, but they look better to me. One thing about Hoyt cast risers is that it costs a lot to tool up to make them - so when they make a new cast riser they base it on proven geometry. It may not be the absolute latest tweak, but it will be a proven performer. They all have Hoyt's excellent warranty so if there ever is an issue your taken care of. If you have not guessed yet, I highly recommend the Charger - newbies or experienced archers alike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hell of a bow for the money (or any price for that matter). I can shoot whatever I want, but really like it when I really find value in what I buy - I hunt with a Hoyt Charger! I've been shooting bows for over 30 years and find this bow to be all I need in a hunting bow. Smooth, fast, accurate, quiet and lightweight. If you can find a 2013 model they have better limb pockets (aluminum instead of plastic). May or may not be better, but they look better to me. One thing about Hoyt cast risers is that it costs a lot to tool up to make them - so when they make a new cast riser they base it on proven geometry. It may not be the absolute latest tweak, but it will be a proven performer. They all have Hoyt's excellent warranty so if there ever is an issue your taken care of. If you have not guessed yet, I highly recommend the Charger - newbies or experienced archers alike.
Nice bull centershot! Thanks for all the reply's everyone. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
From my time over on the Traditional Forum and reading Centershots posts and replies I would take his review/comments in high re-guard. I know one needs to shoot a bow they are looking at to see if fits them well. But if I were on the fence between one bow or another and Centershot gave high marks to one of them I would probably choose that one.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Just ordered a 27in, 40-50lb black charger today for my 13yr old son for christmas today. He could of had camo today but since I just got a black nitrum turbo he had to have black too, hoyt said 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Still waiting at 3.5 weeks for delivery in early January. (Thats OK. My Win & Win Inno Max just arrived ;)

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
My local shop has quite a few Chargers, mostly black, which I like even better than my camo model. My charger is a 2013 model with the aluminum limb pockets. It's also a LD, long draw model but only goes to 31". For some reason a lot of people want to talk this bow down, to short of ATA, "price point" bow, you name it. Here's my facts: very light weight due to being a magnesium riser. Yes SOME 2013 models ate the top servings off the string, Hoyt replaced my cams with 2014 cams-no more problems. Very quiet bow with almost no shock at all, not a carbon bow, but close. You don't need much stabilizer weight so this would be good for about anyone who doesn't want a 6 pound bow. It's got about the same speed as the more expensive Hoyt bows, mine is good for 328FPS and that's ready for hunting, loop, kisser, peep on the string, plus I'm shooting more than 5 grains per pound. I hunt on the ground, stalking, and the 31" ATA is great. My 38" ATA bow is a little easier to shoot, but not much. I really can't say anything bad about a Charger, it does it all real well, I wouldn't get a package or RTS model again, the sight and stabilizer were not what I'd call rugged or even decent, this may be different on the new ones. Get a bare bow and put a QAD HDX rest on it, or something similar, a decent sight, Viper and Sword make some good ones for under $100, way under. Put a 8-10" B stinger on it, or something you can adjust the weight on, and go shoot lights out! Cheers--BB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts