Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a bow I was really Considering as my 1st bow but as I was unsure how much I would like shooting I ended up going with a cheaper bow, a 2015 PSE Momentum, bought new from the classifieds here.

I have shot this bow for about a year now and with nothing else to compare it to I was getting used to the single cam draw and let off this bow has. Shooting about 54lbs- after 50 arrows my arms would get tired and my groups suffered.

The shop owner had a Hoyt Charger in stock and let me shoot a few arrows through it and the difference was amazing. It was set at 50lbs and the let off felt like I was holding nothing. Not to mention the weight was so much lighter than My PSE.

So he wants $485 for it and I'm thinking of getting it unless someone can talk me out of it.

Opinions? Thoughts?

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
Great price point bow. You already loved shooting it, no reason to talk you out of it. Go get it.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
is this price for the bear bow? A buddy called me today and said he found a powermax which is the new charger for $499 bare bow. he said the shop said its a better riser and cams. Hoyt is not making the charger anymore so replacements would be hard to get.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If $485 is for a package deal, snag it. Great price point bow and with Hoyts customer service and warranty, getting parts later down the road will be a breeze. If it's for the bare bow though, go out for the powermax.

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
We sold the package bow for $649, the power max that replaced it sells for the same price.
If that is a package price then yes it is a fair price and being new you get the warranty. If it is bow only slightly high.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If $485 is for a package deal, snag it. Great price point bow and with Hoyts customer service and warranty, getting parts later down the road will be a breeze. If it's for the bare bow though, go out for the powermax.
but with the not making the charger will they still offer limbs, etc. my buddy said the powermax looks different. had thicker limbs, different cams, and different riser.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Even though it is a left over bow, Hoyt will maintain parts etc. for years to come, so I would not let that bother me. I do not know about the Powermax but the Charger is a very good bow and performs much like a higher end bow. It goes to show you that you do not have to spend $1000 on a bow to get a bow shat shoots like a $1000 bow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty much bare bow. Small wire rest and d-loop are all it comes with. Also it's camo and I really wanted black. But I really love the way it feels and shoots.

Unless I can find a better deal or a similar deal on a black one I may hold off. But at least now i know how a dual cam feels as opposed to my single cam bow.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

·
Registered
680 Posts
but with the not making the charger will they still offer limbs, etc. my buddy said the powermax looks different. had thicker limbs, different cams, and different riser.
With Hoyt's warranty to the original owner basically lasting forever you'd imagine they would keep parts stocked. I have too many bows with XTR or Fuel cams that they obviously don't make anymore and I've never had problems getting cam parts from dealers.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Keep looking around at local shops. If you have the option where you live, there's a REALLY good chance, you can find one of last year's Chargers still on the shelf. $485 is a bit high for just a bare bow. I bought a 2014 Charger (bare bow) for around $375. That said... I just traded in my 2014 Charger for a leftover 2015 Nitrum 34, for just south of dealer cost! So, if you have the option of visiting several different shops, it's a good bet, you'll be able to find one. Good luck! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
yeah if you want black and that's bare bow price I would shoot a power max which is the new version of the charger. my shop quoted my buddy 400 new for a bare powermax in black.

i cant see anything but a better bow with the newer power max.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend of my husband wants to sell him a Hoyt Charger with a ripcord drop away rest, a fuse 5 pin sight, a stabilizer and 5 Gold Tip arrows for $475. Do you guys think this is a good price?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
$400 for a new bare bones black powermax? Where is this dealer. I may have to place an order.
I was on my phone that 400 should have been 499 as I posted up top. I sent you a pm. id pay the extra few $ for the color you want and newer cams, etc. if you settle for the older model with a $20 rest you wont be happy and will eventually sell it and be out money.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
A friend of my husband wants to sell him a Hoyt Charger with a ripcord drop away rest, a fuse 5 pin sight, a stabilizer and 5 Gold Tip arrows for $475. Do you guys think this is a good price?
its not a bad price IMO. just tell your husband make sure the bow will fit him with draw length, draw weight, etc. is your husband bow savvy?

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
Pretty much bare bow. Small wire rest and d-loop are all it comes with. Also it's camo and I really wanted black. But I really love the way it feels and shoots.

Unless I can find a better deal or a similar deal on a black one I may hold off. But at least now i know how a dual cam feels as opposed to my single cam bow.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
IMHO too much for it, seeing it is bare IMHO. My suggestion would be to buy the Power max for a few dollars more

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
IMHO too much for it, seeing it is bare IMHO.
I agree, I bought my dad a NIB Charger for Christmas this year and paid $370 tyd. That being said, I've shot it and it is a great shooting bow, super smooth and extremely quiet. I was very impressed with it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just posted elsewhere that, of the 9 bows I've bought over the past 3 years ($300-$1,500, bare) the Charger was absolutely the best Value. No down side to that bow.
/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts