Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I am kind of new to archery and I made a big mistake. I bought a bow off of ebay to replace my 11 year old pse. I got a 97 hoyt deviator with carbonite limbs and command cams. the guy the sold it to me said it was a 26-30" draw. well fully adjusted it goes to maybe 28. I need a 30. I was wondering, do I need to replace the whole cam or just buy new modules? it has C2T cams and H2T modules right now. please help kind of in a bind I would like to get it set up hunting season it way to close to have to be ordering parts and spend a ton of money.

thnks
dave cody

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
You will need to replace them with #3 cams to get 30 inch draw. Your local shop might have them - but expect to pay $75 - $100 for them. I just went thru the same thing on a Hoyt Prostar. Great cams for hunting and tack driving.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dave,
You will need a different limb deflection to get the same weight out of the #3 cams. I don't have the chart to tell you what it would do but it is my guess you will gain some poundage. I would call Hoyt and talk to customer service they can answer your questions.

If you can't find what you are looking for, I still have a 2000 Defiant, XT 2000, #3 Command Cam 75%let-off, 28-30.5, 60-70lb with new custom strings and cables that I would sell for $250.

Let me know,

Michael Braden

·
Registered
186 Posts
The modules on the hoyt cams may be changed for letoff but not for draw length, you must change the cam if you don't have enough draw length adjustment.

If the bow has the original command cams, they don't have adjustable modules, only 3 pegs which are basically 1/2" draw length each (you need to stay on the same peg on each end or you will have to re-set your nock). If they are the newer command cams (which, from your description, they are), they do indeed have an inner module that adjusts draw length. Since Hoyt never made the Deviator with the newer cams, you'll have to choose something close to 40" axle to axle and account for brace height differences. If you use a 2000 Vortec with XT-3000 limbs, you see that a C2 cam gives a draw length range of 25 to 28-1/2 with 1" more brace height and only 5/8 shorter A-A. On your bow, the same cams would give 24 - 27-1/2 " draw lengthwith a 55" string and 42" cables. To get 30", you need a string that's approximately 6" longer and this is really unreasonable.

To get ready to go quickly, I would:

- put on a 57" string
- twist the cables up
- assuming you're shooting a release, put on a long nocking loop go get the anchor point you need with the cams rolled over against the cables.

It's a big compromise but it's cheap and you can do it in an hour or so.

Good Luck,

-Scot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts