Archery Talk Forum banner

Hoyt competition bow ranking?

750 6
Is there a special ranking in how the bow is named?
say, ultra-elite is better than an ultratec, which is better than a protec...
that sort of thing.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8,686 Posts
Is there a special ranking in how the bow is named?
say, ultra-elite is better than an ultratec, which is better than a protec...
that sort of thing.
No. the bows are not better or worse, It depends on you and what your use is for it that would determine which one might work better than another for you. the next guy might find another better for him and so on and so forth. :rolleyes:

· saskarcher
5,124 Posts
no but the UltraElite is a step up from the Ultratec as the ProElite is a step up from the Protec,, the price also reflects this.. ;)
all the rest are pretty much just names.. Vtec, Supertec, Razortec, etc tec.. :)

· Registered
10,619 Posts
The "elite" series is the best Hoyt has. It is the one with the shoot through riser.

"ultra" means, a little shorter brace height, and quicker bows

"pro" means, a little biger brace, and more forgiving.

The Pro-elite, and Ultra-elite are basically the same bow one with a reflexed riser, and the other with a deflexed riser. Same goes with the Pro-tec, and Ultra-tec.

One bow is not better than the other though. I shoot my ultra-elite, and my pro-elite equally well, but shoot them both better than the pre-tec I owned.

Everyone is different, and every bow is slightlly different.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
yeah the ultratec and protec, both discontinued the ultra elite is an ultratec with a shoot thru riser modification ,basically the same riser,balances better barebow due to the tubular arrow shelf /sight window cut out.same can be said of the protec/proelite.
most of the hoyt models are top of the line, same quality limbs(although many different lengths), limb pockets. risers are different to accomidate the style of bow an archer wants in regards to a2a, brace, standard geometry limbs, parallel style etc.
the ultratec and the protec got the axe due to the trend and popularity of parallel limbs . I l have both a ultra and protec xt3000, I have no plans to change in the forseeable future thats just maybe. ive had numerous bows from multiple manufacturers, nothing touches a hoyt in terms of build quality and accuracy of the 4 models mentioned.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
The biggest difference between the Ultra/ProElite and the Ultra/Protec is the shoot-thru riser of the Elite series. The Ultra/ProElites are priced higher and sold as the top of the line Hoyt target bows. Does this mean the Elites shoot better than the Tecs? Not necessarily so. It all depends on the shooters preference.

Functionally, the Elite series shoot-thru riser is stiffer laterally than the regular Tec series. This reduces lateral flexing of the riser and theoretically improves shot to shot consistency by minimizing the effect of one more variable.

The biggest reason for the cost difference between the Elite series and Tec series would have to be machining. Not only does the Elite risers require a larger stock billet to being with, machining time is a good deal more as well because of both the shoot-thru riser and the integrated grip along with some detailing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.