Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with a new Hoyt. Hope someone can help. It seem's that when I draw the bow it creaks really bad. Anybody have any suggestions on a fix?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hoyt ays the noise is common on some of the newer bows. They say it is because they use an automotive clear-coat on the limbs. The also say the noise will go away after a few hundered shots. However I have a close friend who has shot touhsands upon thousands of arrows out of his new hoyt and it still makes the creeking sound. (this is only for target colored bows.)

If this doesn't seem probable you could always take the bow apart and greese the limb pockets, bushings, limb bolt, and lim washers to see if it resolves the noise.

Just what I have heard.

Joel

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
A Creak is a defect

Take it to your dealer

Its a defect How are you going to hunt with a bow that makes a sound?

TINK

·
Registered
545 Posts
bowbender 1 I don't think you have a defect. I got my flame Ultra Tec back in May. It was creaking upon draw. I broke the bow down and removed the limbs and could see where the clear finish on the limbs was in excess in places. I took some very fine sand paper and buffed those areas and the very ends of the limbs and Sha-Zammm. It draws whisper quiet now. Now this was on a target colored bow. I doubt the camo limb's have the same finish.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clear Coat

Might be the clear coat on the limbs. I will take apart tomarrow and check it out. Limb bolts need a little grease anyway. Will post what I find. Thanks for the heads up on what all of you have found.

Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had the same problem with my new Razortec. A little lube in the limb pockets and problem solved.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
My camo Hoyt creaked at draw. The noise was from the two outboards on the upper limb that hold the 2 ends of the soft yoke buss cable. A little grease and the noise was gone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is a target or hunting model ? With the target models it is the clearcoat on the limbs, On the hunting models who knows I have stripped the entire bow including the limb pockets down to the riser, swapped parts, lubed and still had creaks. This happened to several models finally I sent them back to hoyt. They came back creakless but had no explanation :

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Bowbender ........ what GreggWNY said......... i have seen 3 of the new UT,s quieted down with a little lube where the yoke hooks up on the top limb .... hope this helps !!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the creak sounds like it is coming from the axle area, take the bow back to your dealer and have him send it back. I had one bow which I sold have a similar problem and I sent it back to Hoyt. It was back within a few days and not a problem. I also did not receive feedback as to the problem but that was the only one I have seen. This was a camo bow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgot to add but the creak which I found was at the bottom of the bow near the cam. Also, be careful with the type of "oil" you use. The weeds love to attract to it and it is nothing but a mess use a silicone or teflon spray.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It has been reported a few times on this board and elsewhere. If it is on a target bow, don't bother with it. You will find that it annoys the people around you more than it annoys you. Think of it as a competitive advantage.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
noise

My wife's new ($800) U-tec Fade, out of the box made a loud noise when pulled back. I took the limbs out and applied wax to portion of the limb that made contact with the limb pocket. The noise whent away.

It was disappointing to have to tear down a new bow that I paid $800 for. If I wanted a bow that made popping sounds right out of the box, I probably wouldn't have to spend $800!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Creak Fixed

The Hoyt creak is fixed! I took Joel's advise and took the bow apart, a low and behold I could not get the lower limbs out. They had a build up of that clear coat finish. Got some 600 grit sand paper and went to work on them. Took awhile to get them to fit without forceing them into pockets. Checked the top limbs and found build up where the plastic piviots ride on the limbs. Took care of that. Now it does not make a sound!!! I will shoot it today and try to tune up. Never messed with them there cam and a halfs. Thanks for the advice!!!

Charlie

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Customer Service Horror Story

Glad that was it you were onthe right track

About 3 year ago there was an unhappy archey with a Big Name Bow that had a chronic squeek

Dealer squirted WD-40 and it didn't go away so he took the bow apart and low & behold his bow had a finish build up

camo paint on limb coating I wasn't there...

So he sanded it down and all was cool.

Last year the top limb splits and the dealer ships the bow back to be rebuilt that factory up north.

You Know the Super Guys right?

WELL the factory send bow backto dealer with a huge repair bill saying limbs had been modified and they were NOT goignto fix them free

Claimed tere were modified!!!

They charged him for two(2) new limbs, retail but one bottom limb still had the Thunderhed pick a spot Green and Black Sticker on it
They never replaced the bottom limb

They only replace one top limb

How is that for matched equipment?

NOT!

I was always taught that limbs had to be made in pairs to insure consistant peformance

While they were going back and forth forth, the dealer was dropped by th e company and that was that
No lifetime guarantee on his Bow

end of Story
All becaus e he cleaned up the limb sad HUH?

So that why i said TAKE THE BOW TO THE DEALER THAT SODL THE BOWS
:confused:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dealer

Africanbowhunter

Yea , I can see where you are coming from with that story. But I would not take it to my dealer for nothing. I would have got it back all messed up!! I like to work on my equipment as most archers do. Besides a fella would'nt know what I did to it anyway. It does'nt look like its been messed with. 600 grit sand paper and wet sanded plus a polish job afterwords. I probably couldnt get warrent on the thing anyway since it is not in the 2003 Hoyt catalouge. Just for your info, folks around Archery Talk call it a DC Pro. Ultra Tec riser with LX Pro limbs and cam.5's. Shoots great!!! But I ain't David Cousins so that tell's you I cant shoot. But I have fun anyway.

Charlie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts