1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new hunting bow. Here are my two choices as of right now:

Hoyt CRX 32

Hoyt Rampage XT

Both have the same specs, but the RXT seems to be a good bit cheaper. I was wondering if there is anyone who has shot both of them, and has any pros/cons of either bow. I will be getting a blacked out finish also.

PS-- I know these aren't the only two hunting bows out there, I've just limited myself to these. Please keep it to these two. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
My buddy just bought the RXT and loves it. Shooting wise I can't tell the difference between the 2. But the crx has the machined aluminum riser. Crx may have a downrange advantage. My custom Kobalt has a cast riser and it shoots lights out. I would not hesitate to buy a RXT. Hard to beat for 599.99.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya. The price tag is what's drawing me to the RXT. I can't see spending an extra $100-$150 on the CRX when they have the same specs except weight basically.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well, three weeks ago I bought a Hoyt Rampage. I shot the ProHawk, Rampage, Rampage XT and a CRX.

The RXT and CRX were practically the same in the draw and hold. But the main difference was the "report" after the shot. The RXT felt normal (to me) while the CRX felt like it wasn't even there, no recoil-vibration, no nothing. It was eerie and I immediately decided I didn't like it.

So it came down to the Rampage and the Rampage XT. The Rampage was smoother on the draw and was easier on my neck and shoulder so I ended up going with the standard Rampage. The RXT to me, had a noticably steeper draw and right then I was looking for a really nice bow with a really smooth, easy draw and economically not bank breaking and to me the Rampage fit the bill perfectly.

But I will say that over the past few weeks I have had a little bit of buyers remorse in that I may have ended up liking the CRX, I even considered seeing what they may give me on trade for the Rampage towards the CRX but I have dismissed that thought as soon as it popped up. ;)

I like the Rampage, it's a really sweet bow and you shouldn't let the low cost fool you into thinking it's "cheap". :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot....I was thinking that same thing. I've almost made my mind up since $ is a big factor for me being a teacher. I just didn't wanna settle and wish I had the CRX. I have a buddy with the CRX 35 and he loves it, but I haven't heard anything on these two bows.

ALSO...How are the strings on these bows? I like using VT strings, and I could get the new bow and a set of strings for the price of the CRX. Just another option I have to look at...But anybody know anything about the FUSE strings?

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Well, three weeks ago I bought a Hoyt Rampage. I shot the ProHawk, Rampage, Rampage XT and a CRX.

The RXT and CRX were practically the same in the draw and hold. But the main difference was the "report" after the shot. The RXT felt normal (to me) while the CRX felt like it wasn't even there, no recoil-vibration, no nothing. It was eerie and I immediately decided I didn't like it.

So it came down to the Rampage and the Rampage XT. The Rampage was smoother on the draw and was easier on my neck and shoulder so I ended up going with the standard Rampage. The RXT to me, had a noticably steeper draw and right then I was looking for a really nice bow with a really smooth, easy draw and economically not bank breaking and to me the Rampage fit the bill perfectly.

But I will say that over the past few weeks I have had a little bit of buyers remorse in that I may have ended up liking the CRX, I even considered seeing what they may give me on trade for the Rampage towards the CRX but I have dismissed that thought as soon as it popped up. ;)

I like the Rampage, it's a really sweet bow and you shouldn't let the low cost fool you into thinking it's "cheap". :)
I am assuming one was out of time...correctly timed the Rxt is dead in the hand.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Fuse strings are fine...but for me I prefer Astroflight so I always change them out. I think my buddy was about 1100 and some change out the door fully loaded.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not gonna be spending quite that much since I've already got my sight, rest, stab, and workin on some arrows. Just gonna need a peep, quiver, and tuning and such.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning to the RXT, I'll let ya'll know what I decide, and post some pics when I get it....May have directions to my funeral once wife finds out...lol

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
You're right on the specs. I've shot them side by side and can't tell the difference in the cycle, anchor or feel of the shot. The same limbs, strings, cams, cable roller, and sting stop, with the difference being a machined riser vs a cast riser and maybe a bit if sexy factor. Our shop is selling the Rampage XT at about 4-1 over the CRX. Both are outstanding bows, so it's a personal choice.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I really like either bow. I let my wallet decide. You cant go wrong with either bow. If I had the cash I wouldve bought the element. But I dont regret my bow in fact Im very proud of it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess my next question would have to be.....

What is the difference in the Machined riser and the Cast riser? Is there that much difference in the two? Strength? That sort of thing? I like the looks of the crx a little better, but there's nothing wrong with the RXT either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I shot both and and really didnt notice a difference in the two so i bought the rxt. My brother in law bought the crx 32 only because there wasnt a rxt available to shoot at the shop we were at....at that time. The rxt is a shooter dont let the price tag fool ya.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the (RXT) IS A GREAT BOW !! we sell alot of them. the fuse string is ok not the best but will work just fine... if ya have another 60 to 75 bucks have a set made for it.. 452x or astroflight will be much better with very little stretch or peep rotation. good luck to you this season and your decision .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts