Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything finally's available for assembly.

The funny thing is, with all the time it took to prepare for this, having learned so many more things just reading through ArcheryTalk - goals and priorities have changed.

I decided to relegate my Aimpoint H1 to my Hoyt CRX32 testbed - and reserve the other goodies for later.

00.DSC00341_EDITED_600.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Being obsessive - compulsive about preserving the finish and minimizing metal - to - metal contact, all surfaces were installed with a layer of Neoprene between them. What I didn't expect about this material was how rigid it became under pressure, kind of like the buffers one finds between a vehicle's frame and the coilovers. Absolutely no movement, minimal transmission of vibration, and no need to use the set screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nylatron Washers were used in other areas, such as between the Riser and Quick Disconnects. All of my Stabilizers likewise use one Nylatron Washer apiece.

05.img267_EDITED_600.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Aimpoint H1 was annoying to set up.

07.DSC00353_EDITED_600.jpg

06.DSC00349_EDITED_600.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After having learned from Chris (of HHA Sports) that the Optimizer Lite Plus had a Radius of Curvature of 30 inches and an Elevation Angle of 30 degrees, adjustments were more easily facilitated relative to the Actual Draw Length.

08.HHA Optimizer Lite Plus Radius of Curvature.JPG

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Aimpoint H1 probably isn't the best sight to look through at an arm's length due to its small objective size. It probably wasn't meant to be used that far away from one's eye, even as a co - witness sight. A 30mm objective or larger would be optimal...

09.DSC00402_EDITED_600.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...which will lead to a subsequent build, bow pending.

Most of the best compact red dot sights are sold primarily with attachments for Picatinny Rails. I was lucky that the Aimpoint H1 had a Weaver attachment.

The Weaver attachment for the Aimpoint CompM4 (part number QRW2) hasn't been in production for ~ 2 years or so.

11.Aimpoint QRW2.jpg

Which caused some problems because most optical sight mounts for bows are produced with Weaver Rails.

10.DSC00355_EDITED_600.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily, I knew someone who was really handy at metalwork...

12.Picatinny Rails 3_EDITED_600.jpg

It just so happened that he was good at anodizing as well...

13. Picatinny Rails 4_EDITED_600.jpg

Which leaves more options for next time.

14. DSC00405_EDITED_600.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will it improve my shooting?

Probably not.

Will it get me to score some buck more easily?

Not sure - haven't gone that route.

Is it cheap?

Not really - the two sights, purchased off eBay used, could get a secondhand CRX32 in good condition off ArcheryTalk.

Then what for?

Well... Functional gadgetry's what floats my boat.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Despite the small size of the sight, the weight does make the bow front - heavy.

DSC00415_EDITED_800.jpg

A larger objective would have helped tremendously - unfortunately this sight was designed for firearms, so certain compromises in size / weight / durability / cost have to be made.

DSC00414_EDITED_800.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts