Archery Talk Forum banner

Hoyt Decisions - I wanted to upgrade

1077 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  jo3st3
The first Hoyt I purchased was the OG Ventum 33 last year and I bought it used. Got the 33 because I like that string angle and the felt like my Mathews Traverse which I loved, and still own at 60# and 29” DL. I tune my own bows and I bought the Ventum based on their new HBX cam system and the fact that my 29” DL to be at the end of the 2 mod. This would be the first time I know of a manufacturer putting that DL at the max of a cam mod with that easy string/cable configuration and I was excited to see the efficiency. Not to say some other bow hasn’t been like that it’s just the first time I’ve seen it and I wanted it bad after I shot a buddies at the local range during Vegas League. As expected the bow, drew smooth, was fast and felt great and for me shooting a 432g arrow for 3D. I am achieving 275-280FPS at 65# and 29” DL which I felt was pretty on point. I hunt that weight arrow as well but I have tested up to 520g arrows which reduced the speed but didn’t effect the kinetic energy based on the calculators online.

All that said I was prepared to buy the RX7 due to it’s overall weight and new HBX PRO cam. Yesterday to my surprise I was able to shoot/chrono the following Hoyts: RX5, RX7 and RX7 Ultra, VTM AND VTM Ultra, Ventum Pro 30 and 33 all at 65# and 29-30” DL with 432g arrows. None were turbo mods, all standard HBX or HBX PRO. Also, added sights and stabs like I have on mine for comparison sake and trying to make everything apple to apples. Some felt a bit stiffer in the draw but none felt like they were much different than my current OG Ventum. Some buzzing in the carbons to be expected but not unbearable and certainly not a deal breaker. But all had 29” at the mid to mid-end range of their long mods EXCEPT the Ventum Pro 33” which is the same as the OG. That said the draw and feel between the PRO and OG HBX is identical to my senses. Gotta be honest I like the looks of the RX5 the best because that tubular look was so unique IMO since they be been using it…always loved that. But that bow was as heavy as the Ventum 33 and really didn’t stack up in speeds.

The weight savings of 1 pound on the RX7 is the only selling factor that made sense to me but it was slower by double digits consistently. In fact they all were slower by this factor (10-20FRP slower) except the HBX PRO 33. The VTM and both Carbon bows couldn’t match the speed and felt extremely similar on draw and after shot. I didn’t record the numbers so take my rant a face value but anyone can try this at their local shop.

Just putting this out there for someone looking to upgrade at my DL. I’m not going to upgrade even though I really want to, you might have a different experience.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should toss in a Torrex XT to your mix. You may really be disappointed in the high end stuff after shooting it......
I’ve heard that it is great. They had an Axius there as well but I didn’t shoot that. And I forgot to add I shot the Phase 4 Mathews…shot like a Mathews and wouldn’t trade up any Mathews over my Traverse right now.

· Registered
105 Posts
I’m not sure this years bows are a big upgrade from the original Ventums. Mathews and Hoyt both put out such great bows last year and this year again, there is not a significant upgrade. Not because there is a problem but because the bows the last 2 years were so good. I’m a Mathews guy and I shot the RX7 and was extremely impressed.

· Registered
5,506 Posts
You should toss in a Torrex XT to your mix. You may really be disappointed in the high end stuff after shooting it......
I second this. I wrote Hoyt off after owning a Charger and the Carbon Defiant. I hated their grips the more I shot, and I had buyers remorse real quick. Then, it seemed they had issues with their 2020 releases not tuning right.

I was surprised with a Torrex XT for Christmas. Holy smokes, these bows are nice. The grip is a lot nicer, both the Torrex and XT draw super smooth, and at the shot is nice. We ended up getting the Torrex XT for $699. I almost chose the Torrex for the extra inch of BH, but I couldn’t pass up the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I second this. I wrote Hoyt off after owning a Charger and the Carbon Defiant. I hated their grips the more I shot, and I had buyers remorse real quick. Then, it seemed they had issues with their 2020 releases not tuning right.

I was surprised with a Torrex XT for Christmas. Holy smokes, these bows are nice. The grip is a lot nicer, both the Torrex and XT draw super smooth, and at the shot is nice. We ended up getting the Torrex XT for $699. I almost chose the Torrex for the extra inch of BH, but I couldn’t pass up the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got my Ventum 33” for $750 used so I was really happy with that. Everyone is talking about that Torrex, must be great.

· Premium Member
Bowtech Reckoning 38 PSE EVO EVL 34 Xpedition DXL Elite Victory 37
1,080 Posts
At the top of the cam’s in the HBX vs HBX Pro the HBX as a really hard drop in to the back wall in my opinion. I had a 2020 Ventum 33 I sold it due to the drop. I’ve shot the RX7 Ultra and the VTM 34 the drop I spoke of on the HBX from 2020 is gone and is a smoother draw in my opinion I’ve asked others that shot the bows at the top ends of the cams and they had similar experiences.

· Registered
1,273 Posts
I tried the Ventum Pro 33 the day it released and it came in significantly slower than my VXR and was heavier and uglier so that was that. The RX7 34 is even slower yet even though it is lighter and looks hella nicer. They spent many a year marketing laminated limbs and when they dispensed with that I dispensed with them. I still try them out, but I haven’t pulled the trigger since!

· Premium Member
Bowtech Reckoning 38 PSE EVO EVL 34 Xpedition DXL Elite Victory 37
1,080 Posts
Is the RX7 one pound lighter than any of the aluminum bows?

I thought I read a thread where out of the box they were weighing in at 4.6-4.8.
They are lighter but not much, for me the difference in the RX7 and the VTM isn’t really the weight it’s small design difference’s like the grip was different on the TX7’s than the aluminum’s last year and was a much better grip and it’s on the aluminum’s this year as well. Limb angle and pockets are slightly different and make the RX7 a bit more forgiving I think it’s much closer on the aluminum’s this year. The bow isn’t much lighter but you can feel the difference especially if weight matters a lot to you like if your going to run short as possible bars or no bars you can tell the Carson being warmer is a thing and definitely is extremely noticeable on cold days especially when you shoot off the riser like I do for most bows all aluminum bows get grip tape due to cold and to form the grip slightly more to my hand. String angles seam to be a bit better on the RX7 compared to last year’s aluminum’s I haven’t played with this years bows much. It’s small things you have to have the bow i your hands a lot and shoot a lot to know the difference. If you shoot a month before season not not year round (that’s common in my area) you will not know the difference except slightly lighter and carbon being warmer. If money was no object there would be 5 bows in consideration for my for hunting RX7 Ultra, both of PSE’s carbons, Bowtech Reckoning Gen 2 36, and SS34. All great forgiving bows with different strong points. Some being a better draw but less FPS some more FPS but slightly worse draw. Some more forgiving but less FPS.

· Registered
617 Posts
I agree with original post with 29" draw shooting the 33-34 models the aluminum bows are faster by avg 10 fps. My RX7U at 71# is the best feeling bow period.. weight wise its perfect with added front and rear stabilizer just balances perfect.. yes its not as fast as my Ventum 33 was but I get around 275 fps with 465 grain arrow at 29".. plenty of speed and just flat out shoots..
personally the extra speed of the Ventum pro 33 bows isn't worth giving up the feel ..
just my opinion.
I will though play with the VTM 34 at 60# this year to what I can get out of it and the feel. its nice having the lower weight when you shoot a lot of arrows
Good Luck with your search

· Registered
2,840 Posts
Hoyt needs to update the rotating mods. Two mods isn’t enough, and/or they should at least overlap the lengths. Their current system punishes some draw lengths way too much. And if you fall in the first position of their mod it’s a complete dog and slow by double digits compared to others like Mathew’s. That’s why I don’t own a Hoyt right now. Until they can make a 33/34 aluminum bow that isn’t slow at 29.5, I won’t sacrifice that kind of speed. And when people point this out to Hoyt, their answer is to buy the carbon model instead. They jumps the shark with the vtm and are hopefully working on a new system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts