Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Reckoning 38s go super fast on this site from what I’ve seen. Is it the ease of tuning that makes them popular? And does the Hoyt XXL need much more effort to tune up?

·
Registered
854 Posts
You’re comparing apples and oranges. Reckoning 38 is a little over 2” longer ata and shorter brace height than the Hoyt. The Hoyt is more of a hunting bow for long draw archers but can be used for targets. The reckoning 38 is a target bow. Both are easy to tune, but the Hoyt will need a bow press to adjust yoke legs. The reckoning does not require a bow press, as everything is done on the cam and the deadlock system...for most general tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You’re comparing apples and oranges. Reckoning 38 is a little over 2” longer ata and shorter brace height than the Hoyt. The Hoyt is more of a hunting bow for long draw archers but can be used for targets. The reckoning 38 is a target bow. Both are easy to tune, but the Hoyt will need a bow press to adjust yoke legs. The reckoning does not require a bow press, as everything is done on the cam and the deadlock system...for most general tuning.

Wait why can’t the Reckoning be used in hunting? I don’t follow how all the comments on target bows indicate they are not for hunting. If they shoot straight and accurately then what’s the problem? Longer ATA? I don’t get it - I have friends using recurves/traditionals from tree stands.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Wait why can’t the Reckoning be used in hunting? I don’t follow how all the comments on target bows indicate they are not for hunting. If they shoot straight and accurately then what’s the problem? Longer ATA? I don’t get it - I have friends using recurves/traditionals from tree stands.

It’s not that they can’t be used for hunting, most people just choose not to use them for several reasons. 1. The ata length can be cumbersome in a tree stand and or walking/crawling through the woods. 2. Some long ata bows don’t come in camo color options. 3. Many target bows have a different draw cycle and many guys don’t like it cause they can’t hold for a long time if needed. 4. Target bows are generally slower than hunting specific bows. Not that speed is everything but a lot of guys like to use a very heavy arrow which already is slow. Combine that with a slow bow and you might as well be shooting a recurve.

If those things don’t matter to you, then by all means, go with a long ata target for to hunt with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s not that they can’t be used for hunting, most people just choose not to use them for several reasons. 1. The ata length can be cumbersome in a tree stand and or walking/crawling through the woods. 2. Some long ata bows don’t come in camo color options. 3. Many target bows have a different draw cycle and many guys don’t like it cause they can’t hold for a long time if needed. 4. Target bows are generally slower than hunting specific bows. Not that speed is everything but a lot of guys like to use a very heavy arrow which already is slow. Combine that with a slow bow and you might as well be shooting a recurve.

If those things don’t matter to you, then by all means, go with a long ata target for to hunt with.

Totally in agreement and appreciate the lightning quick response. I was sitting in the stand today contemplating this because I really want to try out the Reckoning 38x. I think I have the room ... especially considering I opted for a double wide stand. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Totally in agreement and appreciate the lightning quick response. I was sitting in the stand today contemplating this because I really want to try out the Reckoning 38x. I think I have the room ... especially considering I opted for a double wide stand. :)

You bet. Both reckonings are pretty sweet bows. If you get the 38 and it ends up too long for you, you can always get the 35 and you’re back to similar ata as what you have now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You bet. Both reckonings are pretty sweet bows. If you get the 38 and it ends up too long for you, you can always get the 35 and you’re back to similar ata as what you have now.

Spoiler alert - I never ended up getting the Double XL. I have the Faktor (used) which I’m not particularly impressed by yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts