Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i was shooting my Rampage XT for alittle bit when i noticed a creeking sound coming from my bow. It is only happening in the first inches of the draw and then it stop, right when the wieght pick up. It sounds like it is coming from my rollor guard. i didnt have much time to investigate yesterday since i had to be somewhere, but it still has me puzzled. Could it be a bolt that needs tightening, or does the wheels need so type of light oil. I know the owners manuel says they don't need any lubrication, but i don't like the sound. It not to bad if i just have to live with it. What is your conclusion to this problem.

· Registered
3,857 Posts
That creaking sound is propably coming from a limb pocket. Pay attention to the black brackets on which limbs rest on. I had this problem with both maxxis and alpha.

It is no big deal , small drop of lubricant will take care of it. If You have a bow press , take down the cables and put a tiny amount of grease on each bracket ( fishing reel lube will do ) - it will solve the problem for good ( something Hoyt should be doing in a first place wink wink ) .

· Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, didn't think of that one, but i will take a look. The bow still has a good amount of lube on it from when they put the limbs in, the bow is only three weeks old. I will take a look and see if i am wrong about where the sound is coming from. are others here thinking the same thing, that it the limb pocket and not the rollor guard.

· quality not quantity
1,287 Posts
My guess is the limb pocket too. My Maxxis does it on occasion if I adjust the limb bolts. This issue has been discussed on here before. The only problem I have had with the roller guard is one of the rollers broke around the bearing and allowed the roller to cock a bit. It made no noise though and I don't know how long I had been shooting it before I noticed.

· Registered
402 Posts
That creaking sound is propably coming from a limb pocket. Pay attention to the black brackets on which limbs rest on. I had this problem with both maxxis and alpha.

It is no big deal , small drop of lubricant will take care of it. If You have a bow press , take down the cables and put a tiny amount of grease on each bracket ( fishing reel lube will do ) - it will solve the problem for good ( something Hoyt should be doing in a first place wink wink ) .
This. I bought a Maxxis on the classifieds here for a buddy, and it did the same thing. We broke it down and put a dab of lithium grease in each pocket, and that took care of it.

· Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well that a good thing to know. So the best way to remdy this is to take the cables off add put a few drops of light oil on the limb pocket, correct. I will have to give that a try.

· Registered
402 Posts
Ok, well that a good thing to know. So the best way to remdy this is to take the cables off add put a few drops of light oil on the limb pocket, correct. I will have to give that a try.
Most people I know that have had this problem went ahead and broke it down and put grease in the pockets. I think that would be a more permanent fix. Just my opinion.

· Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, lithium grease it is. Just out of curiosity, is it just on the little black pocket piece or did you coat the whole pocket. also, rookie question, did you have to remove the cams to do this. i have never completely torn down my bow and am a little nervous at doing it alone, is this something that a rookie can do, or should i just take it to my shop and have them do it.

· Bowhunter
2,037 Posts
You have to use a bow press and either take the strings off one cam or pull the axel on one cam so you can completely relax the bow, then loosen the limb bolts enough to get access to the areas that need lubed. Removing the limb bolts completely makes it easier but that's not required. Add a little grease then put it back together. If you are not comfortable replacing strings and that type of work on a bow you should probably take it to a shop.

Mike

· Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks mike. I have a ez press at home and have all the tools to do it right, just haven never done it myself. Since i can just remove the cables and relax the bow that way that is what i think i will do. Loosen the bolts, put it in the press, remove sting and cables from one cam. Now again is it the entire bottom of the limb that needs grease or just that one little piece. Sorry to keep asking just want to get it right and not screw up my brand new bow. any advice will be great, even step by step would be wonderful.

· Registered
3,857 Posts
Limbs will stay attached to cam axle - no worries there , but limbs fit rather snuggly in limb pocket...if removed improperly , You are running a risk of having a splinter on a outer layer ( if you nick the limb edge on a pocket ) . If You have any doubts - please take it to the dealer , let them fix it for You. Once You take the cables off , might have to re-time and synch everything again , the peep might be out of whack also ... Take it to the dealer, they'll have your bow fixed and tuned in matter of minutes.

Good luck

· Registered
1,601 Posts
Dont use grease........use BCY ml6 string wax. Works just fine without the stink

· Registered
3,857 Posts
I should add .... You don't really have to remove limbs out of the pocket ... just raise them off the bracket a little so You have room to apply some grease... make sure You push them in afterwards before assembling everything back on.

· Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all help guys, i think since the bow is so new, i am just gonna take it to my shop and let them do it. For future referance can someone give a step by step on how to do this so i dont have to take it to my dealer. also is it safe to shoot the bow while it is making this sound. it maybe about a week till i get out to them, am i safe to shoot or should i wait. again guys thanks for all your help.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.