Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buyer Beware! A Fuse Freestyle Bare bow weighs 2.856 lbs(2 lbs-13.7 oz) NOT the advertised 2.3 lbs(2 lbs-4.8 oz)!

I always doubted the claim of 2.3 lbs when Whisper Creek Archery sold these youth bows as the Panther, but when Hoyt bought out the rights to the WCA Panther youth bow, I trusted Hoyt's advertised 2.3 lbs advertised bare bow mass weight. "Surely Hoyt would not deceive customers", I thought.

Well, We are all familiar with the specs fudging by bow manufacturers when it comes to Draw length and speed. Many bows run a half inch long or even longer on the draw length settings even when string lengths are in spec. This add a tad more speed. And what you end up with is neither the draw length spec or speed specs being accurate. But what about bare bow mass weight? There is no way to fudge the specs on bow weight. It IS what it IS. And it doesn't vary from one bow to the next identical bow by more than a couple of grams!

Well, it seems that Hoyt thought it was ok to fudge on the mass weight of the Fuse Freestyle by more than a Half a POUND! That would be a lot even if it were an adult bow, but the fact that it is a YOUTH bow, makes it a HUGE stretch! The Hoyt/Fuse website advertises the bow at 2.3 lbs which is 2 lbs - 4.8 oz. I just weighed a completely BARE Fuse Freestyle on my very accurate postal scales, and it weighed 2 lbs - 13.7 oz! That's 2.856 lbs to you decimal lovers. That's .556 lbs OVER the advertised weight. More than a half of a pound!

I know for some odd reason, mass weight is not considered important by some when choosing a bow for a kid, but to some of us, it is the deciding factor. I just think it is despicable that hoyt/Fuse chose to outright LIE. I know that bow was likely made overseas, and previously for Whisper Creek Archery as their Panther youth how, and sold to Hoyt, but surely they double checked the specs as easy as it is to place the bow on the weigh scales! Evidently not!

I just called Hoyt, and the guy that answered said he did not know where I was coming up with the extra weight from. I know where I came up with the EXTRA weight from! It came from the .556 lbs that Hoyt OMITTED from the ACTUAL WEIGHT! . He said they Hoyt longer sells the Fuse Freestyle I have to wonder if this isn't one of the reasons why. I wonder if some of Hoyt's other youth bows are advertised with a deflated mass weight. From what I have seen, most companies are pretty spot on with their Youth bow mass weight. Diamond Atomic's advertised 1.9 lb. bare bow spec is spot on. and in the case of the older Stacey Tom Thumb, the company rounded UP to 1.9 lbs from the actual 1.888 lb. bare bow.

Once I catch a manufacturer in the act of lying, it is hard for me to trust them again. A warning to any manufacturer thinking about fudging on youth bow mass weight: I weigh every youth bow I get my hands on to verify the advertised claim. And I will call you out for deceiving shoppers if your advertised weight is more than an ounce under actual weight! And for any Fanboy that is ready to criticize me, I had NOTHING against Hoyt prior to this incident. But at the very least, someone on the Hoyt team dropped the ball. There must be someone who makes sure their specs are correct. If not, there should be.

Here are the specs at Hoyt/Fuse archery's web site:

http://www.fusearchery.com/youth/

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
A 1/2 a pound error is a lot for that youth bow. I'm sure they'll fix it.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 1/2 a pound error is a lot for that youth bow. I'm sure they'll fix it.
They fixed it alright. They stopped selling it. It appears they kept the cams. At-least the new Ruckus looks like it has the same cams.

The advertised Mass weight wasn't the only thing way off. The draw weight range was also way off. For one thing, it was Impossible to get it to the advertised 29" axle to axle with the factory cables and string that were on mine. with no twists in the string, the closest I could get was 28-5/8" axle to axle with the string and cable lengths I had to work with. Then, I noticed the max weight was almost 10 lbs lighter than advertised, even with the draw set at the longest setting and the limb bolts tightened all the way down. Once I put enough twist in the cables to get it up to 18 lbs peak weight, It was at about 28-9/16" axle to axle. You would think with those specs, the max weight would be more than advertised! The only way to get this bow to 25 lbs max weight would be to twist the cables til they are lumpy! And that is if the limbs are even capable of producing that much weight.

As far as the advertised 14" to 24" draw length adjustments in 1/2" increments, I am completely baffled! NO WAY. There are a total of 9 slots for the draw length! In order for it to have a 14" - 24" range in half inch increments with one module anchor screw hole, there would have to be 21 stots! OR, there would have to be multiple module anchor screw holes! There appears to be an additional hole Marked but never drilled all the way through and tapped that is perfectly in-line with the adjustment slots. If this hole had been drilled and taped, it would add 4 more slot positions to the existing 9, allowing 13 equally spaced module positions. Still a far cry from 21. Maybe I have an older Fuse Freestyle? But even the original Whisper Creek Panther was advertised to have a DL of 24"-26" in half inch increments. Also, there is only one peg on the cams for the strings and cables. The only spec that is almost dead on is Fuse's advertised 6.5" brace height! The Whisper creek had an advertised 6" brace height, so Hoyt must have changed that measurement on the spec sheet. The actual brace height measures right at 6.5". Too bad they didn't make corrections to the other specs. The accuracy of specs on this bow is unbelievable.

Also, just in case anyone wants to know, the riser is PLASTIC. Back when I believed Hoyt was truthful in their specs, I was thinking the riser must be magnesium. NOT....and NOT. Limbs appear to be plastic as well. Cams are aluminum, including the rotating mods! The cams actually look very nice. They far exceed the quality of the rest of the bow.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After looking at reviews of the Whisper Creek Panther and Fuse Freestyle, I can tell you this much, The reviewers did not measure or weigh a darn thing! I not only lost my faith in Hoyt/Fuse, I also found that many reviewers don't do their job! They only pretend to! I would be willing to bet that many reviewers right up reviews having never held the bow being reviewed in their hand! We are all being fed a bunch of crap! This is the reason more and more people are getting their own scales, presses, and draw boards, and even chronographs. The only one you can really trust these days is yourself.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correction to my second post above:

But even the original Whisper Creek Panther was advertised to have a DL of 24"-26" in half inch increments. Also, there is only one peg on the cams for the strings and cables.

Should read, But even the original Whisper Creek Panther was advertised to have a DL of 14"-24" in half inch increments. Also, there is only one peg on the cams for the strings and cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts