Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I found a not so honest Hoyt Dealer. Normally my experience is all Hoyt/Fuse dealer are great. But 2 weeks ago I got on Hoyts website. Found a dealer in TROY OHIO "Tackle Shack". Called and they priced me a Fuse Satori 2 pc quiver for 65.00. So then I called back and ordered 2 for me and a friend. I then called about 3 times and 2 weeks later "Today" they finally came in. So I then drove about 45minutes to Tackle Shack and they told me they made a mistake. The two guys were rude and admitted to the wrong price and said they accidently told me their cost. :eek: So now I spent $10 in gas round trip and they would not honor the quoted price. Now I understand to a point. But to just tell me this mistake 2 weeks later and then when I get there the price becomes 95.00 each.

I would recommend to stay away from dealers that bait and switch like Tackle Shack did to me. I called Hoyt today and they are looking into it. And I called the Miami County Better Business Bural. So I wonder if not selling to me at the quoted price was worth it? LOL We will see..

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
that was a stupid business move they made!

they could have rung you up at 65 a piece and broke even and had your business for years to come...

they werent looking in the long run. Hit them where it hurts and take your business elsewhere!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sounds like you're handling it well. Make sure you keep us all updated.

·
Banned
6,593 Posts
accidents happen.. and they are in business to make a profit.. if it were me.. i would have offered to split the difference.. quoted $65.. then told $95.. i would have said that i can sell them for $70 each.. but certainly not cost.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
The rude part isn't right but I just did some checking and it seems $95 is a fair price.
Just because they made a mistake they should get nothing?
Sorry but I don't agree
Its a pain I am sure but you proably knew something wasn't right, I checked for 2 seconds and they sell for around $90-$99\

So what if a new bow was quoted wrong and told cost by accident?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ya know everyone makes mistakes

But being rude when trying to eat your pie and correct it is not a way to stay in business for long. I to have made that same mistake in my work place. The bad part of it was that I quoted cost on a $3500 machine. Just the glance at the wrong column but hey I have had the service on that unit for 3 years now because I admitted my mistake and stuck to my quote. It's life and mistakes happen but you stand by your quoted price or watch customers find other vendors.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree.. The dealer could have just sold me the quivers for 65each as quoted and called it a day.. Hoyt/Fuse Customer Service is to get back with me tomorrow. They said they wanted me to be happy, took my info and was having the Hoyt rep evaluate the dealer. I kinda mentioned that the dealer had only 2-3 Hoyt bows on display and the shelves looked pretty spaced and bare. This is prime time to sell Hunting Supplies.. And for only 2-3 bows forsale seemed kinda shotty.

I understand people make mistakes but this one had me waiting 2 weeks, and cost me 10.00 in gas. Deer season starts in 5 days...

·
Banned
6,593 Posts
I agree.. The dealer could have just sold me the quivers for 65each as quoted and called it a day.. Hoyt/Fuse Customer Service is to get back with me tomorrow. They said they wanted me to be happy, took my info and was having the Hoyt rep evaluate the dealer. I kinda mentioned that the dealer had only 2-3 Hoyt bows on display and the shelves looked pretty spaced and bare. This is prime time to sell Hunting Supplies.. And for only 2-3 bows forsale seemed kinda shotty.

I understand people make mistakes but this one had me waiting 2 weeks, and cost me 10.00 in gas. Deer season starts in 5 days...
i STRONGLY disagree with you.. being rude.. uncalled for.. BUT no way should they have not made a nickel on the quivers. they need to keep the lights on another day.

·
<---(.)(.)---<<<
2,311 Posts
When they quoted you $65 you weren't suspicious? How would a dealer sell something for alot less than you can find anywhere else? I see two mistakes made with the situation. Them for misquoting and not standing behind it, and you for not seeing a deal that was too good to be true.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where I live there are not alot of Hoyt dealers. 3 total and they all are a good 45-60 minute drive. I really didnt think anything of the 65.00 price because Ebay always takes advantage of inflating Fuse products. Because Fuse products are in high demand and alot of people dont have a local dealer. They pay what ever they see on Ebay. So I figured 65.00 was just the regular price and the 89.00 price on Ebay was just inflated..

·
Registered
287 Posts
They handled it incorrectly.....but to sell it to you for $65?....nope...I owned a shop and if that happened...I would've sold it to you for the quoted $65 plus the shipping costs.Sorry but you don't open a business so you can pay people to take your products.

Rude....nope that was wrong. They should've simply explained the mistake...gave you the offer (cost + shipping) and let you decide.

However, $10.00 in gas and two weeks of waiting is worth contacting Hoyt and have them lose their dealership? Not sure about that one...we're losing enough pro shops...but the rude part is alarming.

just my 2cents.

Jim
maco12

·
Enjoying Archery
1,185 Posts
They absolutely should have sold them to you for the price you were quoted. So those quivers might have been a wash for them. Instead they lost at least one customer forever. Very short sighted of them.

My shop often ticks me off. They don't stock very much inventory so I often have to order it through them. I always give them the first chance to sell me things. I ask for the price upfront and they give it to me. I base my decision to order it or not based on the price I am quoted. I know it. They know it. If the price changes after I order it that is not part of our agreement.

True story: A guy I work with (Rick) shops at this same shop. He went in to order a pair of Swarovski binos. He knew what he wanted and he knew what he wanted to pay. He asked for a price and the staff called Swarovski for a price quote and lead time. When the clerk gave the price to Rick it was about $500 less than what Rick was expecting. Rick inquired right away. He wanted to make certain that this was the correct product and the correct price. The staff called Swarovski a second time and was quoted the same price.

About a week later the binos show up at the store and Rick goes in and pays the quoted price and takes his new toy home.

Two days later Swarovski calls the store realizing the mistake. They basically demand the store cover the $500 difference and bill the customer the correct price saying that they should have know that the price they were quoted was off by $500. Going so far as to ask for the name and phone number of the customer.

Here is how you keep customers for life:
The store owner calls Rick and lets him know the situation and not to be concerned. He paid what he was asked to pay and that is the end of it. The store owner then calls Swarovski. "The price was asked for twice. The price was quoted twice. You either honer the price or we are done as a dealer. It was your mistake".

That was the end of it. Customer was happy. Store is still a Swarovski dealer.

You either have integrity or you do not. Those who do will have customers for life. That is the reason I continue to go there. The owner is a man of unquestionable integrity.

·
Registered
176 Posts
call A,o archery or broken rack ask if they can ship you 1. look them up on hoyt website. got my new turbo hawk from broken rack, real nice ppl and nice shop. time running out

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
People, I was in the gun business, and trust me, if you cant keep track of prices any better than that, the deserve to take the hit and learn from it. THe problem with a lot of shops it they dont want to take the time to talk on the phone and give prices or even service. Now it dont sound with two bows for sale that they were running around helping customers with inhouse service, so the lack of a proper price is just SHODDY work on the business owner or shop worker. Trust me, If it had been a saleman in my shop that failed to honor the price to the point it cost me a customer, they would be finding another job they can do better. And if it was the owner themselves, they obviously dont care about customers enough to feel that they need to keep even just one., and in todays economy, that is a failing busniess practice, that is leading to a failing business.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First, I own a small business. If I quote a price, that's what the customer pays... even if I lose money on the deal. It's called integrity. I will let the customer know I made a mistake but insist that they pay the quoted price. This turns a mistake into a huge plus... The customer gets a great deal and they WILL come back to you in the future and they WILL tell their friends how you treated them.

I recommend taking your business elsewhere and tell everyone you know about your experience.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Here is how you keep customers for life: The store owner calls Rick and lets him know the situation and not to be concerned. He paid what he was asked to pay and that is the end of it. The store owner then calls Swarovski. "The price was asked for twice. The price was quoted twice. You either honer the price or we are done as a dealer. It was your mistake".

That was the end of it. Customer was happy. Store is still a Swarovski dealer.
In todays business it is all about poker. a mistake is made and then the topic of whos the goat we gonna get to pay for it? IN this case Swarovski, bluffed and happily the store owner called that bluff and got a fold from Swarovski. Now they know they look like, fools, but they also know to not bluff this store owner again.

This same thing happend to my brother the other day in KC/ HE ordered $800 worth of Michalin tires from National Tire and Battery. We were called and told they were in, so we drove the 80 miles to KC and get there and one car was in before us/ the one manager came out and said it would be an hour and a half at most. We were like ok, we can walk to some of the shops nearby.

Well before we went anywhere my brother and I were outside the shop in the parkinglot watching them start on the SUV> THe young guy taking the wheels off one side was using a air ratchet and socket,. I look and tell my brother , look how the air impact jolts, he is trying to get it off and it impactinng it the wrong way. Well., before I get the word "way" out, it snapped! OFf come the stud. So a couple guys hear it and gather around. then about ten minutes later, the store manager makes his way to the SUV. At this time we are heading toward the door to talk to my sister-in-law. THe store manager heads us off.

Here how the story goes in a condesed version.

Manager, "You have a problem, whoever put them wheels on last used an impact and stripped a stud."

Mhy brother,"NO I just sit here and watched your inept employee impact it and it snapped off, besides I was the last one to have that wheel off three days ago changing brakes. and I dont have an impact"

Manager,. Well, he ad,itted to impaction it, but it must have been weak.

MY brother , asked to see the stud. the manager handed it to him, and he handed it to me,. I instantly looked at the tear striation and it was surely impacted ON and the shear flow pattern was a true tale sign. I pointed it out and he seemed lost for words. That is when my brother itold him, you better get it fixed at your cost cause this is you alls fault.''

THe manager left and was gone abotu the length of time for a phone call to the shop district owner. Who I am sure promptly said to say they were not paying for it,

here come the manager again, and said, we got a stud coming from carquest and you can pay him and we wont have to do anything to change the NBT bill. MY brother told him,. OK< Take off the new tires and put back on my old ones and then go back in and call your manager back and tell him I am calling the police on the damage and filing a report. at which the guy went back in and was back in three minutes.

Manager, OK, desopite what Imy boss thinks, he wants you to pay for this, but I am going to pay for it out of my pocket. we got the tires on and when my brother went to pay, he handed my brother a bill for the oil change.

My brother, "what is this about an oikl change>?

manager.yeah, we changed your oil before we started the tires.

Brother, I did not ask to change my oil. I just changed it two weeks ago.

manager Well we changed it and it is in there so YOu ought to pay for it.

Brother, NO I put very sopecific oil in my vehicles and you are goign to pay me $50- so I can go home and change it back to what I had in there.

So he gave my brother the $50 and we were on our way.

Well we get about home and we hear this noise. at the back wheel they were haviong the trouble with . Well, it seems that rather than take out the axel and press the stud in the wheel, the tried to turn it on with a lugnut and wrench. it did not tighten enough and as it spun a little looser on the way home,. is gutted out the emergency brake and all its clips and springs.

So My brother called the store owner on M<onday and talked to hjim. He told my brother that his weekend staff had been slacking and doing stuff wriong but nothing real costly, till this event. Well, he told my brother to take it to a certified Toyota Dealer and whatever it costs was ok, cause he had a whole staff of weekend employees that are goingto have thier last paycheck garnished for damage caiuse to customers vehicles.

The new exoposure of poker has had a great influence on business, it just means you have to be more alert and ready to call a bluff./

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I agree that the best thing to do would be to honor the deal, even if it costs them money, between shipping or whatever. I'm a small business too, and I understand the need to hold margins to keep the wheels turning fast enough to not fall backwards, but...

At the very least, they should have given him a really steep discount, an apology, and offered him something off on future purchases in an effort to make him leave not feeling mislead.

I mean, really, it was stupid to say it was cost. Should have left it at the wrong price. If, for some reason, they couldn't have sold it at cost, or whatever, because the manager or owner wouldn't authorize it, they should have offered something, at least enough to make it worth is gas and time, asked to see if they had any other service or product of interest to work with him on... They could have made it an opportunity. They might have been been able to make more money than selling the original products at full price.

Who knows. He might have come back and bought a nice bow, and accessories...

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
i STRONGLY disagree with you.. being rude.. uncalled for.. BUT no way should they have not made a nickel on the quivers. they need to keep the lights on another day.
Thats where your wrong Burnsy,doesn't it make more sense to eat their mistake now and have a happy RETURNING customer. Now they have made their "nickel",and pissed off someone that could have made them a whole lot more nickels. The name of the game is repeat customers,and the best way to do that is top notch CS.

·
Banned
6,593 Posts
Thats where your wrong Burnsy,doesn't it make more sense to eat their mistake now and have a happy RETURNING customer. Now they have made their "nickel",and pissed off someone that could have made them a whole lot more nickels. The name of the game is repeat customers,and the best way to do that is top notch CS.
i was thinking about this as i was washing up tonight here.. especially if this is a rare or never happening occourance.. honoring the price+sales tax+shipping that may or may not have come out of pocket.. a perfect break-even..

the hoyt dealer has TONS of fuse stuff.. from dropway rest, whisker biscuit, and 3 & 5 pin sights, stabilizers and quivers..

if someone calls in wondering price.. just go out to the aisle and take a look.

:confused: i confuse myself sometimes..

·
Banned
6,593 Posts
In todays business it is all about poker. a mistake is made and then the topic of whos the goat we gonna get to pay for it? IN this case Swarovski, bluffed and happily the store owner called that bluff and got a fold from Swarovski. Now they know they look like, fools, but they also know to not bluff this store owner again.

This same thing happend to my brother the other day in KC/ HE ordered $800 worth of Michalin tires from National Tire and Battery. We were called and told they were in, so we drove the 80 miles to KC and get there and one car was in before us/ the one manager came out and said it would be an hour and a half at most. We were like ok, we can walk to some of the shops nearby.

Well before we went anywhere my brother and I were outside the shop in the parkinglot watching them start on the SUV> THe young guy taking the wheels off one side was using a air ratchet and socket,. I look and tell my brother , look how the air impact jolts, he is trying to get it off and it impactinng it the wrong way. Well., before I get the word "way" out, it snapped! OFf come the stud. So a couple guys hear it and gather around. then about ten minutes later, the store manager makes his way to the SUV. At this time we are heading toward the door to talk to my sister-in-law. THe store manager heads us off.

Here how the story goes in a condesed version.

Manager, "You have a problem, whoever put them wheels on last used an impact and stripped a stud."

Mhy brother,"NO I just sit here and watched your inept employee impact it and it snapped off, besides I was the last one to have that wheel off three days ago changing brakes. and I dont have an impact"

Manager,. Well, he ad,itted to impaction it, but it must have been weak.

MY brother , asked to see the stud. the manager handed it to him, and he handed it to me,. I instantly looked at the tear striation and it was surely impacted ON and the shear flow pattern was a true tale sign. I pointed it out and he seemed lost for words. That is when my brother itold him, you better get it fixed at your cost cause this is you alls fault.''

THe manager left and was gone abotu the length of time for a phone call to the shop district owner. Who I am sure promptly said to say they were not paying for it,

here come the manager again, and said, we got a stud coming from carquest and you can pay him and we wont have to do anything to change the NBT bill. MY brother told him,. OK< Take off the new tires and put back on my old ones and then go back in and call your manager back and tell him I am calling the police on the damage and filing a report. at which the guy went back in and was back in three minutes.

Manager, OK, desopite what Imy boss thinks, he wants you to pay for this, but I am going to pay for it out of my pocket. we got the tires on and when my brother went to pay, he handed my brother a bill for the oil change.

My brother, "what is this about an oikl change>?

manager.yeah, we changed your oil before we started the tires.

Brother, I did not ask to change my oil. I just changed it two weeks ago.

manager Well we changed it and it is in there so YOu ought to pay for it.

Brother, NO I put very sopecific oil in my vehicles and you are goign to pay me $50- so I can go home and change it back to what I had in there.

So he gave my brother the $50 and we were on our way.

Well we get about home and we hear this noise. at the back wheel they were haviong the trouble with . Well, it seems that rather than take out the axel and press the stud in the wheel, the tried to turn it on with a lugnut and wrench. it did not tighten enough and as it spun a little looser on the way home,. is gutted out the emergency brake and all its clips and springs.

So My brother called the store owner on M<onday and talked to hjim. He told my brother that his weekend staff had been slacking and doing stuff wriong but nothing real costly, till this event. Well, he told my brother to take it to a certified Toyota Dealer and whatever it costs was ok, cause he had a whole staff of weekend employees that are goingto have thier last paycheck garnished for damage caiuse to customers vehicles.

The new exoposure of poker has had a great influence on business, it just means you have to be more alert and ready to call a bluff./
ok, there is an idea.. it should have come out of the employees pocket.

on a side note: I love my toyota! and my toyota dealer has been nothing but a fun place to actually go to.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts