Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else had problems with G3's breaking? A friend in the Cincinnati area had a brand new pair split at the bottom limb on 8-31-06. They were 48# long limbs and I am curious if Hoyt has had any problem with the heavier poundage limbs. Luckily he's still in possession of his old set but it's a little unsettling to only have a set of limbs a couple of weeks and they blow up. Good luck and I hope to hear some positive responses.

T-man:)

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
hmmm-was that Sean? he's the only one around here shooting that sort of weight

I have a couple sets-one on my field bow and a back up set I got from Barry Weinperl-no problems YET

I use MI and Vector on my fita set ups
probably going to buy winex in the future or XPressions-I got a set of xpressions from LeEarl that Mike Gerard had-I really like them and I can get them alot cheaper than the G3

·
Registered
705 Posts
I know of 2 sets around here. One was 38# longs, came apart 3rd time they were strung. other set was 52# shorts only shot 5 weeks.

Makes me want to sell mine as there were only the 3 sets around here:embara: :mad: :mad:

Rob

·
Genesis 21:20
21,727 Posts
Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I know another archer that abandoned his 38# G3's and went back to his SKY's for similar reasons.

The experience Butch had at the Olympics with his G3's was all I needed to know about those limbs.

I have not heard nearly as many problems with the M1's, and have recommended those to students and other archers recently. I still believe in the Hoyt Carbon/Foam technology, esp. on the old C+ limbs and Vector limbs.

John.

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
marzo2 said:
What happened ???

John noted in a different thread that it took 20 or so shots for the limbs to "warm up" or hit the middle

·
Genesis 21:20
21,727 Posts
Jim is correct.

I don't want to speak for Butch, but I watched his confidence in the two sets of G3's he had in Athens dwindle as the days went by. Unexplainable fliers at the start of every day and a definite "warm up" period were the norm.

Not exactly what you want when an 18 or even worse - 12 arrow match sends you on or sends you home.

I will add to this that the vast majority of G3 owners have had good experiences with them. I don't want to sound like the limbs are crap. I believe in this technology - but I've seen or heard of more problems than I think a major manufacturer should have with one model of limbs. Kinda like the problems W&W experienced with their XQ-1's when they had the arched cross-section. Not acceptable IMO. But then, they put the "arch" in the wrong place too... ;)

John.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Crx

I had a lower limb, CRX, 34 lbs. delaminate after 5 months of shooting about 6 weeks ago. They hadn't been shooting well for a couple hundred arrows prior to their "blowing up" on me. They were not under too much stress (although I have a 30" draw or pulling around 40 lbs.)

Hoyt sent me a replacement set fairly quickly (about 4 weeks) but I bought a pair of long 36lbs G3's they happened to have on their shelves. I haven't shot the CRX's at all.

I certainly get the feeling that they need to "warm up". But I'm not sure given that I'm conscious of the possibility that they might be suspect.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You guys are scaring me.

I have a set on my 3D bow. I have probably only put about 200 arrows through them so far. I am shooting a 270gr arrow drawing 27" with 44# limbs cranked up a bit. Thats probably around 6 gpp. No explosions yet.. Cross your fingers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
G3's

My child got the first set of G3's in June of 04 and has shot a ton of arrows with them and not had a problem. Yes you either have to set up the bow with your brace height up by 1/8 of inch and let it sit for 20-30 minutes and it will settle into the correct brace height or you shoot 20-30 arrows as warm up. No big deal. I am sure that if you don't have that opportunity (like Butch in Athens) it is a little too costly. I will say that we got a second set in Jan 06 same poundage (as back ups). However, they are truly weaker then the first set. We use the ones that have been shot for over two years as the primary set and the others as back ups. We like them. We had tried to switch to the FX limbs but the wall on them was so hard it made back tension difficult. I know everyone who shoots FX's loves them to death, but it just didn't work for us. :wink:

Now all that said, I know of someone who blew up a set of G3 limbs. But I will also say that his tiller was off a bit and he never lined up his limbs. So the top and bottom limb alignment was off. I had not known that it could be different on each set of limbs and that you have to adjust your dove tail bolt (washers) with each set of limbs. $500 lesson for this guy. :pukey:

Unless you check the set up of someone who blew up limbs, then I think we cannot jump to conclusions. :grin:

·
Registered
20,547 Posts
Guys -

Humm, I wonder how many G3's were going to be seeing in the classifieds now???

I just stopped using them because I thought their performance wasn't on par with Hoyt's older limbs ...

Viper1 out.

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,759 Posts
i shot a pair of 36LB medium G3's for almost 2 years. i shot 2500 arrows or more per week the last 8 months i used them. I stressed them i am sure since i was getting 46Lbs when the clicker went off with limb bolts maxed and 29.5 inch draw. aside form alittle warm up ( 20 to 30 arrows) and a few chips in the laquer, they performed perfectly. great limbs from my experience. no delaminations or explosions.

now i did have a few explosions from nocks blowing up upon release.

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
chrstphr said:
i shot a pair of 36LB medium G3's for almost 2 years. i shot 2500 arrows or more per week the last 8 months i used them. I stressed them i am sure since i was getting 46Lbs when the clicker went off with limb bolts maxed and 29.5 inch draw. aside form alittle warm up ( 20 to 30 arrows) and a few chips in the laquer, they performed perfectly. great limbs from my experience. no delaminations or explosions.

now i did have a few explosions from nocks blowing up upon release.
wow-2500 arrows a week:eek:

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,759 Posts
Jim C said:
wow-2500 arrows a week:eek:
Lol, my job gives me alot of time off. so i shoot every day im off. I was shooting 500 to 800 arrows 4 or 5 days a week. but 2 months ago i went up in weight from 46 to 48 to 53lbs and now im only shooting 250 to 350. i hope by december to get it back up to 500 or so. I shoot about 4 to 6 hours every day that i shoot and ends of 10 or 12 arrows normally. im fortunate with my job to have the time so i take advantage of it.

im at the ranges so much in my area that they let me shoot for free, except for bass pro range lol. there im a circus sideshow with my olympic recurve, and they charge me 5 bucks.

i shoot samick extremes now, they have to warm up as well but shoot great too.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
how old are you chrstphr?? am lucky if i can shoot 600 arrows shooting 3-4x a week....but am 60!...
in any case all cases of limb failures i have seen are due to either overstressing(30+" draws on 66" or 68" limbs shooting a lot) or carelessness in stringing,limb alignments,etc...you know what i mean...including shooting very old limbs...
i have sold or traded all my hoyts except for one which is a light poundage M1 for indoors....i have switched to winexes as i like their performance better for outdoor....its a pity GT is no longer on this thread as am sure he could enlighten us a lot on all of this hoyt breakages.....
i personally never had breakage problems with my hoyts..just performance ones.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
chrstphr said:
Lol, my job gives me alot of time off. so i shoot every day im off. I was shooting 500 to 800 arrows 4 or 5 days a week. but 2 months ago i went up in weight from 46 to 48 to 53lbs and now im only shooting 250 to 350. i hope by december to get it back up to 500 or so. I shoot about 4 to 6 hours every day that i shoot and ends of 10 or 12 arrows normally. im fortunate with my job to have the time so i take advantage of it.
And what job is this? I'm jealous enough now that I'll do what any jealous guy does. Apply for it. LOL

Having said that, is there a particular "waiting time" between the stringing and the first arrow? Is there a "warmup" time for the limbs? You're throwing concepts that I haven't even heard of ever.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bsu_beginner said:
And what job is this? I'm jealous enough now that I'll do what any jealous guy does. Apply for it. LOL

Having said that, is there a particular "waiting time" between the stringing and the first arrow? Is there a "warmup" time for the limbs? You're throwing concepts that I haven't even heard of ever.
We try to let the bow set for 20-30 minutes to let the brace height "drop in", if not we start shooting and don't move the sight until we have shot about 20 arrows. The limbs respond differently depending on weather as well. Now I am not saying that the G3 will change through out the day based on weather, just during their "warm up" period. If you have wood core limbs then yes they will change through out the day based on weather.

Our first NAA Indoor was shot with the weather outside around 70 degrees and inside it was 58 degrees. We were using the Edge limbs and chased sight marks all night long. Boy was a upset when I figured out is was the brace height changing all night. The next day we kept adjusting the brace height and did not have that problem. A little too late. It was a beginners mistake that cost my child the National Indoor Championship and finished second.:cry:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts