Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Good evening,
I just received an old Gold Medalist. It's an H25 riser with 44 lbs limbs. AMO is 70 inches. I have some strings on the way (66") but I think it's missing a few parts. I adjusted the part inside they limb pockets by removing the 5/16x24 set screw and moved them so they are both closer to the side ot the bow where your hand is. (string side) Cleaned the spring loaded devices that snap in. I think the missing parts might be the 5/16x24 screw/knobs that go in from the front of the bow and rest on the limbs. There is also another threaded hole in the back of the bow that dead ends before it touches the limb. Threads are clean. Any help woud be great. The hand grip says Hoyt/Easton but I was told it is a Hoyt GM. Are manuals available?
Thanks

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
I -

Not exactly sure about what you think is missing. Posting a picture might help

Here's the 2006 Hoyt/Easton manual.

Not a lot of info in there, but it's a start.

BTW - Earl Hoyt initially sold the company in 1978, East ultimately bough it in 1983, IIRC.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It sounds to me like you have all of the parts. I have the same riser down in my basement and just checked, there are not supposed to be any 5/16 x24 screws in the front (target-facing side) of the riser. Those threaded holes are there just for stabilizers and weights. The limbs are held in place by the dovetail and block/ socket that is slightly larger (1/8" or so) than the butt end of the limbs. When the limbs are inserted into the riser and the bow is unstrung you should feel some play. In fact, we used to pluck the string to set the limbs in place after stringing the bow. If you didn't do that on the first shot after stringing the bow you might hear a pop or crack, but that was totally normal.

Regarding the Hoyt/Easton label I think the first year or two that the Gold Medalist was produced the riser and grip were labeled Hoyt/Easton. Someone like Jurassic Archer would know better (he worked at Hoyt) but I believe the grip on those risers produced in the 80's and early 90's is different from that of the grip that came on the Gold Medalist post 1996/1997 when Hoyt switched to outfitting all of their recurve risers (except the Radian) with the same Avalon-style grip which was actually modeled after the grip that came on the Yamaha Eolla (now that was a great bow).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good day,
Had a string made on Friday. My son only broke two arrows. Still cheaper than a day at the trap house. Had the trolleys set at the back and it felt like it was stacking before full draw (30"). Athe belly it felt fine. Tiller at 0. Will start experimenting as time permits and get back to for your help.
Rock on,
Robert

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
I -

Couple of things.

1. The bow wasn't stacking at 30", (almost) regardless of the limbs used.

2. The old style GM limb adjustments were only really happy full in or full out. Anything in the middle was a bit of a guess. Not sure exactly why, but seemed to work that way.

Viper1 out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts