Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 hoyt growler and wondered if anybody could tell me they thought of the bow. i paid 300 for the whole set up site, whisker biscuit, quiver, and bow. i was trying to find a good spine arrow to shoot out of it.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 hoyt growler and wondered if anybody could tell me they thought of the bow. i paid 300 for the whole set up site, whisker biscuit, quiver, and bow. i was trying to find a good spine arrow to shoot out of it.
It is a reflex growler, which is made by hoyt. Hoyt ditched the name and brought it into their main lineup as the superhawk this past year. So you basically got a $500 bow all set up $300, good deal to me! I shot a superhawk and thought it was extremely nice to draw and shoot. If you want spine advice you should mention your draw length, point weight, and draw weight.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I personally LOVE Gold Tip arrows, really depends on the Money you want to spend. Gold Tip would be a .400 spine as would easton. I believe Carbon Express would be a .250, Carbon Force would be a .200 spine. Spine has a little give and take on it. Not to mention spine changes with the arrow set up. Heavier Tip to a lighter tip, heavier fletching to a lighter fletching. I would really suggest some Gold Tips they are the best arrows in my opinion if you want to spend the money, our draw weight and length are about the same. I love the Ultralight Pro's for hunting (and possible target shooting). If you want some for strictly hunting look at the Easton Small Diameter arrows. Hope this was helpful and you shoot well and enjoy whatever you choose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. Has anyone shot the carbon express F-15? i would like to know how they are. i was using montec but i was going to change over to f 15. i seen a video and it did a number to the montec. i just want to make sure its the better broadhead before changing.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I had one of these as a backup bow back in 2007. Real nice bow for the money. Mine really liked the Easton Axis FMJ arrows - .400 series at 29" with 100 grain heads bare shaft tuned perfectly. It was also a 60# bow. The Montec has durability matched by few other broadheads. Great for elk, bear, and moose. Some of the best bowhunters I know use them for everything. Let me guess - the video was produced by the F-15 folks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the video was acctually by someone else. thats how i found out about the broadhead. started looking into them. i didn't even see the one from carbon express till later. it was just a montec vs. F-15 test. thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts