Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hoyt 2006 Protec with a winners choice string put on at a shop for me a year or so ago. I shoot lefty. Yesterday i noticed that the top cam had a fairly bad lean to the right. I asked 2 people who i trusted to know what they are talkin about and got two opposite answers on how to get the lean out of the cam one said to shorten the Y cable on the side it was leaning to and the other said to shorten the side it was leaning from i did both and saw no change at all so that is why i am asking on here hopefully i can get it ironed out. i did notice that when i pressed it and took the tension off their was the tiniest bit of slop or play somewhere either in the axel or the cam, i dont know which or where but it was their. Should it be or should it be tight? Do i need a new cam or what. Over the years i have shot this bow a LOT.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Is it a floating or static yoke? If it is a floating yoke you will need to pinch it off where it runs through the cable prior to twisting. If the cam is leaning like this " / " you would need to twist the left leg, or twist the left and remove from the right (viewed from behind bow).

There will be a very slight amount of "play" in the cam on the axle, not much but a teeny bit. Make sure all of the spacers are in place.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ther should not be any play in the cam when you have it pressed.

Take a look at it and make sure the bushings are on each side of the cam.

Everthing should be snug.

Check your lengths on strings and cables.

I haven't ever had a lean problem on any of my Hoyts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Y cable

originally their was absolutely no twist in the right hand side of the Y on the yoke. The left side had some twist in it but i dont know how much. I started with twisting the left side and put a total of 4 additional complete twists in it doing a little at a time and never saw any change at all. Do i need to go more and can you go too much?

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
originally their was absolutely no twist in the right hand side of the Y on the yoke. The left side had some twist in it but i dont know how much. I started with twisting the left side and put a total of 4 additional complete twists in it doing a little at a time and never saw any change at all. Do i need to go more and can you go too much?
4 turns in a yoke is a lot, and should have changed things noticibly, even on a Protec.
Is it a floating yoke or a static yoke?
Do you have a bow press by any chance?

You can put a serve on a floating yoke to hold adjustments in place, and for a rare set of limbs witha strong/weak limb combination, you can sometimes get a fix switching limbs side to side.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a static yoke, and yes i have a press but i mostly use it to slack the strings to put in silencers and such. I dont feel i know enough to go tearing into a bow just to change something that i am not sure of.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
This is eaxctly why I build everything with a solid yoke. More control over the bow

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Don't forget that when you twist up that yoke, you are INCREASING the DRAWLENGTH slightly and also the POUNDAGE...You are piddling with the POWER Cable here..

In addition, you will need to check the CAM SYNCHRONIZATION and re-set this too.

ONE thing affect many.....gotta do the steps.

field14

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have noticed the draw is a tiny bit long but as of now it isnt anything i cant live with as i think i was a tiny bit on the short side anyway. I said that i had 4 turns on the left side of the yoke and it had not made any difference so i thought what the heck and i added 2 more full twist bringing it to a total of 6 twists to it and when i pulled the bow back the cam was running straight down the middle with no lean. Again, can you put too much twist in it or is it ok as long as it is doing what it is supposed to be doing?

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
cam

I dont have a soultion to your problem but your cam should have sealed bearings not bushings. are both limbs seated all the way into the pockets ? do you have a straight cable guide bar, or an off set bar, if its off set try moving it, is it the orginal cable guard slide or after market, if after market put back orignal

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the cam does have bearings, the limbs are completely seated and the cable guide is straight and the slide is the origional. The only thing on the bow that has been changed is the string which is now a winners choice. I seem to have straightened out the cam. Just wondering if the yoke could be twisted too much by adding the additional 6 twists to it even though i got it lined up and streightened out

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Well Don, shortening the yoke six turns is definately gonna' have an impact on timing.

The simplest way to check that is to mount a 5/16"-3/8" hook in a solid overhead beam, and placing the nock or loop on/in the hook, draw the bow down and check to see if the draw stop, and upper cam alignment are in time.

The famous JAVI timing stickie at the top of the tuning section explains that.

But if you're a one bow owner, without a bit of experience, pulling things apart isn't a good idea.

Do your self a favor. Start writing all of your adjustments in a notebook, and record ATA/BH/and cam positions with every change. It will help you figure out what happens when this or that is adjusted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts