Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finaly decided on Hoyt. Specifically the Vantage elite pro. Now I just have to figure out which cam will best sute me. I will be going to a dealer next week to decide. Hopefully he has the two options for me to try out. Still need opinions on these two cams so that I know what to expect. I won't be doing much or any 3-D w/ this bow mostly indoor spot and field archery.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
So are you wanting Spiralx, GTX or Cam and a Half plus cams? I'm a Spirals guys.

They are wonderful feeling (super smooth at lower DWs), the wall is quite firm and keep you honest. The only downside is resale, but if you're 28-29" DL it won't be too hard to sell.

GTX seem to be a nice in-between cam, but it adjustble with mods so each cam size has a decent range of DL available helping resale a little bit.

The Cam and a Half plus is the most easily adjustable (rotating modules) and that makes resale easier, but it's go the least performance, the least stiff draw and the softest wall. I prefer them (and the originals) with 65% letoff modules installed since I shoot them at lower DW and it gives me the holding weight I need to get steady.

I believe it'd be best to shoot some bows with these cams so you can make a decision more easily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you picked Hoyt so you are ahead of the game already!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about the GTX or the cam 1/2+ but from your info the spiral sounds good to. What sucks is I can't just go down and try em out. The dealer is about an hour 1/2 away. I wont be able to get down to Ocala fl til thursday when I have the cash on hand. I guess I just need to be patiant.
So are you wanting Spiralx, GTX or Cam and a Half plus cams? I'm a Spirals guys.

They are wonderful feeling (super smooth at lower DWs), the wall is quite firm and keep you honest. The only downside is resale, but if you're 28-29" DL it won't be too hard to sell.

GTX seem to be a nice in-between cam, but it adjustble with mods so each cam size has a decent range of DL available helping resale a little bit.

The Cam and a Half plus is the most easily adjustable (rotating modules) and that makes resale easier, but it's go the least performance, the least stiff draw and the softest wall. I prefer them (and the originals) with 65% letoff modules installed since I shoot them at lower DW and it gives me the holding weight I need to get steady.

I believe it'd be best to shoot some bows with these cams so you can make a decision more easily.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well try the Spirals if you can. And keep in mind that they're letoff adjustable, too.
Yea I will. Are they a smooth or hard drawing cam? I do like the idea of a firm wall and I heard theat they are perfect for target.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You can always go with GTX or Cam and a Half plus cams , this will allow you to get set up with the weight , Dl , etc ..... Then buy the Spirals once you feel you are "out shooting ", the original cam ? I would be hesitant to jump off on the spirals right out of the gate if you can not shoot them first especially if you are new to Hoyt and a longer ATA bow. As stated above the
65% let off is the way to go , I have GTX on my hunting rig , with a 75% let off set at 65lbs ( good if you need to hold at full draw for an extra bit of time , but when it creeps into the valley , its a real shoulder jerker , and eye opener until you get used to it. It is a solid wall , just don't creep.
Shooting 65% on the target rig , cam and Half plus cams , Vantage Elite Pro, at about 53lbs , with a little bit of tinkering the wall is very solid , and most off all its very enjoyable to shoot , It is smooth , it does have a nice noticeable valley , then settles into a good solid wall.

I was in the same boat , could not get behind the exact bow with spirals that fit my monkey arms ,went with the 1.5 cam ,
I will switch out for the spirals in due time , when I reach a point that my game is at a stand still , The new cams will at least raise the mental game and might or might not help pick up that extra X ?????
Have fun it sure is a good shooting toy.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Yea I will. Are they a smooth or hard drawing cam? I do like the idea of a firm wall and I heard theat they are perfect for target.
They draw stiff, meaning they ramp up to full DW very early in the draw cycle. But it's a steady pull from there with no hump to get over just before letoff, like most other speed cams have. And since they don't have over 65% (except on parallel limbs) they don't feel like a helluva hard, yanking drop into the letoff valley. So I'd describe them as stout, but smooth.

Part of the reason they're often considered perfect for target shooting is the adjustable letoff. Most target shooters have heavy rigs and low draw weights. If they had 80% letoff they wouldn't be able to hold the bow up without muscle input from the bow arm or shoulder. They let you get enough holding weight, even at 50# of draw weight. And the narrow valley makes for an honest, solid hold at full draw and a very crisp, clean release.

·
Registered
870 Posts
They draw stiff, meaning they ramp up to full DW very early in the draw cycle. But it's a steady pull from there with no hump to get over just before letoff, like most other speed cams have. And since they don't have over 65% (except on parallel limbs) they don't feel like a helluva hard, yanking drop into the letoff valley. So I'd describe them as stout, but smooth.

Part of the reason they're often considered perfect for target shooting is the adjustable letoff. Most target shooters have heavy rigs and low draw weights. If they had 80% letoff they wouldn't be able to hold the bow up without muscle input from the bow arm or shoulder. They let you get enough holding weight, even at 50# of draw weight. And the narrow valley makes for an honest, solid hold at full draw and a very crisp, clean release.
Are you talking about Spirals????????????? Adjustable let off???????????????

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Are you talking about Spirals????????????? Adjustable let off???????????????
Yes. :nod: Just move the stop peg on the bottom cam. Depending on cam size it will have 2-4 holes. You can adjust most from 50%-65% letoff.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes. :nod: Just move the stop peg on the bottom cam. Depending on cam size it will have 2-4 holes. You can adjust most from 50%-65% letoff.
I gotcha. I thought you were saying adjustable as getting 75% or something. My bad. I was thinking either I was crazy or you were crazy. LOL.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well I'll be shooting a 55lb DW so this kinda sounds good. Right now I am still shooting my conquest 4 w/ max cam at 80% letoff. I havent shot a 65% in a long time (since mid 90s). Can't really remember what its like. Although I can say on my C4, that at 55lbs the wall is very mushy and uncomforable to shoot. When I pute the DW up it seems to firm the wall up a bit,but 55# DW or less is what I am comfortable w/ for target.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
At 55# on Spirals you could get as much as 28/29 pounds of holding weight if you wanted it. Or as little as 17# or so. And the wall is firmer than any Mathew's cam ever.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At 55# on Spirals you could get as much as 28/29 pounds of holding weight if you wanted it. Or as little as 17# or so. And the wall is firmer than any Mathew's cam ever.
That sounds perfect. I think ya got me sold on the spiral x.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Just wait till you get a little lazy or tired and creep ever so slightly with a spiral.....Spirals are the bomb for target, but I don't think I could shoot one all day unless the bow was around #40... Getting old sucks.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wait till you get a little lazy or tired and creep ever so slightly with a spiral.....Spirals are the bomb for target, but I don't think I could shoot one all day unless the bow was around #40... Getting old sucks.
Yea get'n old sucks. I'll be 42 this october but i'm still in pretty good shape strength wise. At least a few days a week I shoot my Mathews Monster that I keep @ 70lbs DW. Once I get used to a bows draw cycle I am good to go. When I practice I usualy make it a three to four hour practice session. I shoot every day that it aint rainning.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Yea get'n old sucks. I'll be 42 this october but i'm still in pretty good shape strength wise. At least a few days a week I shoot my Mathews Monster that I keep @ 70lbs DW. Once I get used to a bows draw cycle I am good to go. When I practice I usualy make it a three to four hour practice session. I shoot every day that it aint rainning.
This time of year it rains almost every day in Florida, right? :lol: I've done some roofing jobs down there and I always had to keep an eye on the sky and the live radar imaging. Never knew when a boomer was coming through.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This time of year it rains almost every day in Florida, right? :lol: I've done some roofing jobs down there and I always had to keep an eye on the sky and the live radar imaging. Never knew when a boomer was coming through.
Pretty overcast today. I should really be out there shoot'n. It will probably hold off till later though. Got some aluminum parts I gotta tig up for a friend then i'll shoot.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts