Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new here and have seen how knowledgeable all of you are. I recently snagged a HOYT Joad Medalist...can't find much info on it otherwise. Was hoping some of you could help.

#129 on the limbs

AVC
H24-66-26lbs
H20-62-27lbs

4.091.790 3.196.860
3.814.075 3.292.607
3.412.725 2.995.130

I've attached some photos of the limbs & set up. I'm looking for general information. I know it's older, no idea time frame. Wondering what kind of string I can get for it, as I'm sure the one in the case probably needs to be replaced, as well as any other specs you could tell me about it! hoyt 1.jpg hoyt 2.jpg hoyt 3.jpg

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
JOAD is Junior Olympic Archery Development. It is a youth program for training Olympic style archers. I think that was the junior version of, I believe, the Pro Medalist. There are some folks here that know these old bows better than I. Let's see if I got it right.

·
Registered
20,773 Posts
j -

I've seen them mentioned before, but don't know a lot about them.

The riser looks like the 24" version (you can measure it from end to end) and appears the same as the first or second iteration of the metal Pro Medalists, c 1972.
The limbs are "short", but have the Hoyt-USA logo and apple, that means they are Easton era and not consistent with the original metal PMs.
Whether decals were swapped on the older PM limbs or if new limbs were made for the old riser, I don't know. A google search might help.

Since the date of the "set" is in question, you could have a Dacron or Kevlar string. The former "might" be usable, but the latter really shouldn't be.
Since the bow is 66" long, I would get a new 62" (actual length/ NOT AMO length) Dacron string and shoot for an 8" brace height.

The rig was the precursor to ILF, and unless you have a very short draw length, it should be a good shooter.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Appears to be from the early 90s with a cast riser and wood laminate limbs. First, toss the old string, as it will be brittle, and make sure the new string is made of Dacron (b-50) as fast flight strings can crack the limbs. String length will be 4" shorter than the bow, measured from limb tip to tip. You can also upgrade the limbs to carbon composite, which most competitors use

·
Registered
17,321 Posts
That was their shorter version of their Pro medalist if memory serves...maybe it was the gold medalist. Regardless, a high quality riser.

Even though it's a cast riser, it's still of very high quality...I bet the limbs are still on plane. That's to say that the limbs are still in alignment.
Back then, most were cast then machined or finished as necessary. I've got an old Gold Medalist that still will hold its own with my Win Win Carbon fiber riser. And my even much older golden eagle target bow will do the same...though not as fast. So don't think "cast- Oh crap"...there is good castings and cheap castings...you have a high quality riser.

The only thing I wouldn't do is go over 40# on that riser as I don't believe they were intended to go any higher than that.

Keep it, shoot it and enjoy. If you take care of it that bow will last you many, many years. Don't let anyone talk you into "needing" something more current...just beat them and ask why.

string? As mentioned, B-50

·
Registered
908 Posts
It appears to be a slight variation on the regular Hoyt Pro Medalist line. They are very fine performing bows and very pleasant to shoot. I have owned many target bows, vintage and modern and for barebow use they are my all time favorites. I presently own two of them similar to yours. One is my main competition bow, with the original limbs. I think yours may date from the 1970s. I agree that Dacron B-50 or the slight variant B-55 should be used for the string. I prefer the latter. 62" overall string. A very nice find. - lbg

ps: If you do a search above for Pro Medalist you will find a lot of good reading. - lbg

·
Registered
17,321 Posts
With that bow you'll have to be very understanding to those that want to look it over. They don't show up often and there are a lot of people that used that bow to get started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts