Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Hoyt Katera XL with the Z3 cams, set at approximatly 68 lbs, 29" draw length. I still have the stock Fuse strings and cables on it and am looking to replace them after the season. Also I've noticed that I have some wear on the bottom part of the cam and was thinking of replacing the cam too. My first question is, what cams will fit my bow? Is there any newer (perhaps better, more efficient) cams that will fit my bow?

Second issue, I have also noticed that I have a very slight splinter on one of the upper limbs. This is very small and cold possible only be in the camo finish The limbs that are on the bow are the XT500s. I would like to get this fixed and was wondering if there are any newer (perhaps better) limbs from Hoyt that will fit my bow.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
XT500s are still just XT500s. Any XT or ZR series limb will fit those pockets, but longer limbs would change the axle to axle and brace height measurements.

The Z3 cams on it are better than most newer cams from anybody. But if you just have to tinker there are tons of Hoyt cams to put on there. Just note that cams are designed with certain limb lengths in mind, so if you stay with XT1000 or XT500 short limbs you should stick with Z3, XTR, Fuel, RKT or Cam and a Half plus cams. If you go to XT2000 or longer limbs you'd use Cam and a Half Plus (or original), C2, Spiral, SpiralX or even some older dual or single cams if you have them.

That's one cool thing with Hoyt bows. There are so many possible riser/cam/limb/grip options that it's almost insane.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In short, the Z3s are the best cam ever made by any bow manufacturer anywhere and the same is true for the XT series limbs. Every bow before or since, even in the Hoyt line is garbage by comparison. Stick with the best, XTs and Z3s!!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Buster of Xs is correct lots of possible combinations. This requires lots of tinkering, time, and tuning. The Katera XL was one of the best bows ever produced. And the Z3 cam still has a huge following. Lots of guys are putting the Z3 cams on the new bows, including myself. More than likely the cam is fine unless it is bent or something. Your best bet swap the string and cables and leave the stock configuration, it's probably already as good as it is gonna get.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
And that splinter probably no big deal, if you are the original owner the Limb can be replaced with warranty. Post some pics of the cam and limb and we can let you know more about the condition you have.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
In short, the Z3s are the best cam ever made by any bow manufacturer anywhere and the same is true for the XT series limbs. Every bow before or since, even in the Hoyt line is garbage by comparison. Stick with the best, XTs and Z3s!!!
Z3s rule!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments.

Sounds like everyone like the Z3 cams!

I'll try and post a picture of the limb splinter in the next day or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts