Votes: 61 82.4%
  • NIB '09 Ross Carnivore 34

Votes: 13 17.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the two. I've already owned a Hoyt Katera XL and liked it a lot. I've never shot a Ross Carnovore 34, but, I really like what I've been reading. I have very limited experience with shooting a release as I've almost always shot fingers. However, I will be shooting a Tru Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme.

The 09' Ross Carnivore can be purchased new for about $425. A NIB Katera XL for about $500 shipped.

Other than the price, which would you choose?

I genuinely fear any bow which doesnt have the rock solid dependabilty which is associated with a Hoyt.

Give me the Pros and Cons please!

Thanks!

I should mention this bow will mostly be for hunting and/or target practice 3D.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention that I'm looking @ the Hoyt Katera XL with the Cam & 1/2+ due to it's adjustabilty.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody owns of the the two bows mentioned? Okay fine, I'll get someone to post...

Rage sucks, My Destroyer 350 derailed, Hunlee,

Ok, now anyone have an opinion?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I'll try to get this going for you.

This is not going to be all that much help, but since no one else is helping so far...

I handled and drew, but did not shoot the Carnivore last spring. I would have to say that out of all the bows in the shop (Hoyt and Bowtech mostly), it was the best deal IMO. Smooth draw, great valley and wall. A bit on the heavy side though. Looks well made. I've heard they are quiet, but again did not actually shoot one myself.

I just got a Katera, not the XL. I really, really like the Z3 cams. Very smooth, nice valley, good wall. This is a pretty fast bow, probably faster than the Carnivore. My only complaint so far is the string stopper is hard and it is kind of loud. Wasn't expecting that for a fairly new bow. I've been told that if I replace the string stopper, it will be much better. Hoyt limbs are pretty much bullet proof, at least the 3/4" limbs like the Katera has.

As always, shoot both and see what you like the best.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can only add that with the Katera Xl nib you are assured of a warranty :thumbs_up

but will you have one with the Ross ?????????????:zip:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Have never shot the Ross, so I really cannot help much. I will say that my first Hoyt was the Katera XL (Z3's) and I fell in love with the bow from the first arrow. 5 Hoyts later, the Katera XL is still the bow I shoot the best.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Katera.

:izza:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a katera xl and it is the best hunting bow that I've shot. I started with the cam 1/2 plus and they were very smooth with good speed. I recently swapped to the z3 cam and they are also smooth with more speed. Overall the kat xl is an awesome shooter.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
C'mon any Ross Carnivore 34 shooter's out there?

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
Ross does nor exist anymore .. momentum is with Hoyt .. Bow tech should have parts for those bows but in this case I'd go with Hoyt.

The Katera is an awesome bow .. I've owned 2 both the XL and the Katera .. Still own the Katera and plan to..

I'd stay away from a Ross in this comparison

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealer has a Ross Carnivore 34 in stock for CHEAP!!

@ this point, I'm considering the Ross Carnivore 34!!

Ross shooters speak up!!

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
My dealer has a Ross Carnivore 34 in stock for CHEAP!!

@ this point, I'm considering the Ross Carnivore 34!!

Ross shooters speak up!!
A better buy is the Original G5/Ross Cardiac's for 285.00 tyd ... IMO

Is it cheaper than that?

I was a staffer ... For the original Ross .. whatever makes you happy though ...

I'd get the Katera over the XL ... wait I did ... Couldn't be happier with that move

Original Cardiac .. .DIY Public land 2007 ... 72 yards ...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ttt!

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
I think you've heard this before.........."go with the Hoyt"

·
Registered
793 Posts
I guess I can't speak for the Hoyt but I shot a Carnivore 34 for hunting this past year. Youll be hard pressed to find a better bow for the money. One of the best drawing bows you'll find and also dead quiet with minimal vibration on the shot. Bowtech will still warranty and still has parts for the 09 Ross's. If speed isn't an issue I wouldn't hesitate getting the Ross. The whole Carnivore lineup from 31-37 are very nice! To bad you can't get your hands on a 37 though if you're shooting fingers... Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I believe I'm gonna go with the Ross Carnivore 34. My dealer has one new in stock and I rather support him than not. I can't find a single bad thing mentioned about this bow, so I'm not worried.

I would still like to hear from Ross supporters!!

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
Well, I believe I'm gonna go with the Ross Carnivore 34. My dealer has one new in stock and I rather support him than not. I can't find a single bad thing mentioned about this bow, so I'm not worried.

I would still like to hear from Ross supporters!!
can't find a single bad thing about the Katera XL either....

I think the XL is a much better bow....better cams and system...more stable faster and a better company (one that still actually makes bows). If something were to happen to the Ross...can you get it fixed? Are cams and limbs still available?

·
Registered
793 Posts
can't find a single bad thing about the Katera XL either....

I think the XL is a much better bow....better cams and system...more stable faster and a better company (one that still actually makes bows). If something were to happen to the Ross...can you get it fixed? Are cams and limbs still available?
They are still warrantying and have limbs and cams....

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should have had an '09 Katera XL here, but, when I ordered over the phone, the guy misunderstood directions and didn't ship. He thought he was suppose to wait for further instructions? So, I was a little ticked and decided to take a second look @ the Carnivore 34. I called my dealer and he mentioned that he did in fact have some Carnivores for sale.

Now is the Katera XL a better bow? Maybe...Would my dealer had felt the same way if he didn't have the Carnivore in stock? Probably not, but, I get such great service from him that I would like to purchase a bow from him.

I know the resale is better on the Hoyt, I'm sure but, I'd actually like to hang on to this one for once...heh.

I'll shoot a Carnivore 34, and if I like it I'll buy one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts