Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Hoyt today to ask about Limb deflection values based on the peak weight I'm looking to achieve on various risers.

The limbs I've asked about are the older Carbon Plus solid limbs.

I asked which Deflection I would need to get 40# max, 50# max, and 60#max on an Oasis Riser and a SuperStar Riser. 28 inch draw for both.

On an Oasis Riser I was told the following:
40# = 28 Limb Deflection
50# = 36 Limb Defleciton
60# = 42 Limb Deflection

On a SuperStar Riser I was told the following:

For the SuperStar I was told the following
40# = 54 Limb Deflection
50# = 44 Limb Deflection
60# = 36 Limb Deflection

I understand that because the risers have a different shape and length that a different Limb Deflection would be needed to achieve the same specs on each bow. What is confusing to me is that on the Oasis Riser, the Limb Deflection Numbers go UP as the Max draw weight goes up.... and on the ProStar riser, the Limb Deflections go DOWN as the draw weight goes up.

I asked a 2nd time if this was correct because it didn't make sense to me and was told because they are different bows that this is the case.

Does this make sense??? If so.. please explain since it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Typo fixed

I referred to a ProStar riser in the following sentence. It should have said SuperStar riser.

"What is confusing to me is that on the Oasis Riser, the Limb Deflection Numbers go UP as the Max draw weight goes up.... and on the ProStar riser, the Limb Deflections go DOWN as the draw weight goes up."

·
Registered
712 Posts
Limb Deflection?

Back prior to 1998, Hoyts deflection values were based on how much a limbs bent or flexed with a given weigth was applied to the limb Hench the lower value the stiffer limb. Staring in 1998
Hoyt changed the way they number the limbs to a higher deflection number the stiffer the limb and so on. I may have the year wrong for those of you that know better but this is the jist
of it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ah...

You're the victim of 2 things:

1 - Hoyt changed their deflection measuring technique in, I believe 99. The old deflection numbers were like spine. The lower the number, the stiffer the limb. Measured by applying a known amount of force and the measuring the distance the limb flexed. The new system is basically amount of force it takes to get a known deflection. I don't know why they changed nor do I know why they don't publish defelection data for all their bows and years like they have in their tech specs for the '01 bows.

2 - The person you were talkiing to didn't really understand your question.

Fact is, these two risers are very close to the same geometry. You'll be able to use the limbs fairly interchangably with a bit of difference in all the specs. The difference that matters on the risers is the distance between the limb pivots, the deflex and the limb pocket angles. They haven't changed these much over the years on the deflexed target bows.

Good luck and if you call them back, see if you can get a comparison from them of old and new deflection numbers, maybe they can cross reference a carbon plus limb to be X in the old system = Y in the new system.

-Scot

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the info.

It makes sence now. I thought I was losing my mind and all sense of Deflection Logic.

I wish they would have kept the same Deflection settings for a given limb until that limb was discontinued.

I'll give them a call back and see if they could cross reference those Deflections.

And I agree... it would be a great help if they would publish their Deflection Charts along with the Bow tune Charts. Even if they just had a downloadable PDF and didn't put a web interface on it.

Thanks Again!

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts