Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a leftover Magnatech from last year in ourr shop so I set it up to hunt with. It has the versa cam on it. I have never shot this bow before so I have no idea on what I have gotten into. I plan to put my Trophy taker rest on it and I havent picked out a hunting sight yet but will this week. Any opinions on this bow?? Thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
I shoot an '03 magnatech. I love it. Used it to take a nice Alaskan black bear in Jun and can't wait for whitetails next month. Can't beat it for the price, imo.

Mike

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well,if you look at the specs,the brace,axle length etc.You will see that other than the fine magnesieum riser,there's not a lot of difference between the MagnaTec and the top of the line Ultra Tec.It will make an excellent hunting bow.I have a 2001 ProTec that I like very much,but this year I'm hunting with a 2002 MT Sport,the bottom of the Hoyt line,with versa cam.It took awhile for me to get used to the short axle length and single cam,but I'm shooting it very well now and have much confidence in it.Too much is made of aluminum risers.You'll love that MagnaTec.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the boost of confidence!! I have started to set up my new magnatech with a trophy taker rest and I think I am going to throw on my trusty CBE 3d-XL sight for hunting as well. I have the bow at 28 inches and 68 lbs shooting a 355 gr cx-300 265 fps. I think this will turn out to be a pretty good set up.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I shoot a '01 zr 200 model for hunting (last year w/t overdraw riser)w/t versa cam.Shooting 31.5" draw with 28.25" 480 gr. 2314 w/t 100 gr Shockwave and NAP quiktune 3000,Gold Key /Limb saver Tranq. stabilizer(limb saver splitlimbs too)64 lbs gets almost 250fps,very quiet. Better than avg. hunting rig.No string leeches,just a peep and nock on the string,I use an ole faithful rope release. Kills deer and hogs dead.I shot a 125 lb. feral boar just a few weeks ago,spine shot,shockwave head just completely cleared the spine,anchored that piggy right there in dramatic fashion. What a ham.No blades broken,just bent a lil bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts