Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wonderind what your opinion is on the hoyt protec for 3d shooting the set up im looking at is the protec with spiral cams 27 inch draw i have big for arms am i coing to have problems with the back end of the riser hiting my for arm and what do you think i will get for spead at 5 grain per lbs
do you think is it a good set up

give you imput goog or bad it will be aprociated
thanks

·
NC ASA Director
36,063 Posts
You will not having any problems, the riser is on the other side of the string. You may experience string slap with such big fore arms.
The protec will be a great choice for 3D. You didn't mention you weight you will be shooting, but I think you should be in the 280's to 290's. The IBO for that bow is 305 fps, but I think that is rated with a 29" draw.

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
I'm getting 280+fps with my Protec with the brace height at 8.75" at 28" with ACE's and 54# draw. I also use this bow in FITA shooting and finished 12th at our National Indoors shooting it. It's fast, accurate and forgiving.

·
Made in USA
1,735 Posts
Shooting the protec w/cam and 1/2 at 28" and getting 280+ @ 5 gr/lb. Sure would think the spirals would more than make up the speed loss for the inch less of DL. Good shooting bow !

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Great choice. You will not have a problem getting 280 out of that bow. We set up a Pro Tec with Spiral cams 27 1/2" 58 lbs 320 grain arrow 284fps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
marcus

hey marcus have you ever shot aluminums out of your protec we have the same draw length and im interesred in shooting aluminums as for the protecbeing good for 3d i use one and its great 280 at 55 pounds,this bow is awesome.

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
3Spot
Only for indoors where I use X7 2312's. When I have my correct rest on (which my wife pinched and took to the Worlds) it's a real spot killer. I'm considering going to X7 2112's on a 2" overdraw for 3D, however the weight is a tough too high to get the speed up with Alloys.

BTW anyone considering this bow for 3D, someone posted a comparison between the drop in arrow placement with a 280fps shot and a 305fps shot if estimation was 5yards out at 50yards. The difference was minor (side my side). 280 is more than enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts