Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.K. here's the deal...

I recently had a Hoyt Aspen Redline that had developed a few very small cracks in the lower limb.
I called Hoyt and they told me unequivically that it was not covered under warranty as it was a 2000 model.
I called two local 'pro' shops that are hoyt dealers to look at ordering replacement limbs.One shop quoted me $260 for the limbs.The other shop told me that they could get it fixed under warranty.
I explained to the shop owner that I had already spoken with Hoyt and they said "no".
The shop owner said "That's B.S.....We'll get it fixed for you......We deal with Hoyt so they WILL do it"
They said that if anything,I would have to pay the cost of shipping.I agreed,and dropped off the bow to be repaired.

Two months went by and no limbs.
I called the shop every two weeks to check the status of the repair.
I was told:
"We haven't heard anything yet" then,
"Yes...the limbs are on the way"
I checked back after a week(reasonable time to ship limbs that are 'on the way')
The owner said "Still not here...it takes a while when you are dealing with Hoyt,sometimes"
I gave it another week and called to check status
They told me:
"Well...Hoyt said they won't warranty it afterall"
But,I could buy the limbs for $180

I told them nevermind as I didn't wan't to dump anymore $$$ in the bow.

Now....
I sold the bow "as-is" to an Archery Talk member who *was* able to get the limbs replaced under warranty.
I'm reasonably sure that they are being staight with me about this.
The member works for a shop that deals Hoyt bows.

Who should I be upset with...if anyone?
Would Hoyt offer warranty to one shop but not another,or was the shop trying to take me for a ride?
Should I contact Hoyt about this?

·
Registered
807 Posts
HOYT service or the lack thereof...

Jocephus,

That kind of baloney coming from a large a company is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

That single set of limbs wouldn't have even made a ripple in their budget.
Anyway, you said that the bow is a year 2000 model?
Don't most "LIMITED LIFETIME", or even ''LIMITED WARRANTIES", include at least a FIVE(5) year warranty on limbs against breakage, failing, etc. if not due to user abuse?

This experience of yours has left me astounded at HOYT Archery.

I own a 2002 Hoyt Protec, w/ the Excel cam. Love the bow,...even if I placed it in an ad,...thinking that I wanted to sell it...changed my mind...even had a guy that wanted to buy it,...and I would have honored my ad and sold it, but, we couldn't get together on the final plans of transfer, ya know logistics, or something and stuff.

I hope that if I have a problem with my Protec in the future that I won't get the same "RUN-AROUND" as you got from Hoyt !!!

bowtinkerer

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again,I don't know if the run around was from Hoyt or the dealer.
Don't want to jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Cracked limb

I had a similar problem with my Merlin Tempest I bought on ebay "new, unshot ,leftover 2000 modle".
I didn't buy from a dealer so it wasn't covered by warrenty. I will give the people at Merlin credit for trying to help me out though. They offered to sell me new limbs for $100. I really didn't want to put any money into it so I declined the offer.
Still have the bow(unassembled) anyone need a bow with a cracked limb?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Not that it really means anything, but the bottom limb on my RazorTec de-lamed about 2 months ago. We won't go into why it did but it was not Hoyts fault. It was dry fired, (not by me) but by a friend.

Anyway, my dealer whom I have had a little trouble with in the past, (mostly misunderstanding what I wanted) ask me if it had been dry fired, I said yes it had, and I am prepared to pay for new limbs and necessary repairs.

Long and short, both he and Hoyt chose to repair it under warranty, no charge whatsoever.

I think the dealer's relationship with Hoyt has a lot to do with the warranty service.
I know in my experience with manufactures it is usually left up to the dealer "TECH" to determine if warranty is applicable.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The "lifetime" warranty from Hoyt has only been in effect for the 2K3 and 2K2 model years thusfar. Previously it was 3 years on limbs.

It's a Redline model which means it was built in 1999 and therefore the limbs would not be covered under warranty. Had it been a 2000 model w/ the XT limbs they likely would still be under warranty as the bow would be in it's third year.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Sorry about the bad deal.It is bull---- . You had to get rid of the bow because you where not helped out.Thats why I shoot PSE, A dealer of a product should be fully aware of policies regarding waranties and should have taken care of the problem.By the way thanks for the cobra sight it is now on a Mach 8.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
JeffB said:
The "lifetime" warranty from Hoyt has only been in effect for the 2K3 and 2K2 model years thusfar. Previously it was 3 years on limbs.

It's a Redline model which means it was built in 1999 and therefore the limbs would not be covered under warranty. Had it been a 2000 model w/ the XT limbs they likely would still be under warranty as the bow would be in it's third year.
I fully understand that but why was I lied to by the dealer and furthermore,how could the new owner get it warrantied?
I could have sold it for a better price or could have kept a very nice shooting bow.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Its the dealer

I have had nothing but outstanding success with Hoyt's customer service. Over the years I have come to realize the biggest problem with a manufacture is the dealer. If you have a good dealer you have good service Hoyt can only help if they are aloud to,This is pretty much the same for just about every bow manufacturer. I have seen my Hoyt dealer and Hoyt alike replace limbs that failed that were out of warranty by a year or better. So to answer your question I think it is dealer nonsense to me and I would find a different dealer. HM

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still feel like I was wronged by the 'pro'shop.
I took them at their word and was lied to.
Even if Hoyt didn't want to warranty it...I was still told that they would and that the limbs were "on the way".

I really should have settled it right then and there but I had to drive 45min out of the way and was late for another engagement.
Plus,I was too disgusted to think straight.
Should I confront them about it now or just let it go and never shop there?

·
Registered
897 Posts
You should be made at no one. It is common that pro shop worker's get special treatment they are the link between Hoyt and the public. Hoyt want's them to push their product's.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
I *did* take it to a "pro"shop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
JOECEPHUS....

I think the problem here is that you are not seeing what
probably really went on...behind the scenes.. your buddy
whom bought the bow probably told hoyt that it was an in-stock
item that had went bad.. and he got a replacement set sent to him and he returned the bad ones... what i see happening here is that YOUR FRIEND PROPABLY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF YOU KNOWING HE COULD PULL THIS STUNT AND GET AWAY WITH IT.
IT WASNT HOYTS FAULT.. THEY JUST BELIEVED HIM...
I DONT HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL... BUT ID BET THIS IS AS GOOD A
EXPLANATION OF WHAT HAPPENED AS ANY, AND PROBABLY
MORE ACCURATE.

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Trophy Taker Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,578 Posts
I would contact Hoyt again and advise them of the problem. They replaced tons of these limbs because they were having problems with them. Perhaps there was a lack of communication on someone's part or perhaps someone was having a bad day, either way things happen and Hoyt is well aware these limbs were a problem and I see no reason why they won't make things right.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That well could be the case.
I don't feel taken advantage of in that respect,though.
I did get a very fair price for the "as-is" bow.I have no complaints about that,asI wasn't going to dump any money in it anyway.
To me it was scrap.

Again,I'm not fingering Hoyt because I don't know what happened.For the "pro"shop to tell me that the limbs were "on the way" after waiting two months and then a couple of weeks later tell me "no"....something stinks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chase,
I just want to find out what happened.I no longer have the bow so replacement limbs don't matter.
I was told one thing and then another.
I just want to know if Hoyt said "yes" then changed their mind or I was lied to by the dealer.I mean Obviously I was *lied*to but I want to know if they were jerked around by Hoyt or if they were just jerking me around.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chase said:
I would contact Hoyt again and advise them of the problem. They replaced tons of these limbs because they were having problems with them. Perhaps there was a lack of communication on someone's part or perhaps someone was having a bad day, either way things happen and Hoyt is well aware these limbs were a problem and I see no reason why they won't make things right.
I should add...
There has been NO dealing with Hoyt around here.
They have not been very sympatheic to any problems or questions I have had...It's always "go to the dealer"

·
Registered
167 Posts
JOECEPHUS....

I think the problem here is that you are not seeing what
probably really went on...behind the scenes.. your buddy
whom bought the bow probably told hoyt that it was an in-stock
item that had went bad.. and he got a replacement set sent to him and he returned the bad ones... what i see happening here is that YOUR FRIEND PROPABLY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF YOU KNOWING HE COULD PULL THIS STUNT AND GET AWAY WITH IT.
IT WASNT HOYTS FAULT.. THEY JUST BELIEVED HIM...
I DONT HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL... BUT ID BET THIS IS AS GOOD A
EXPLANATION OF WHAT HAPPENED AS ANY

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again Wolfslayer,how was I taken advantage of by the buyer?
I got a fair price for the bow.
Whether or not he 'fooled' Hoyt into thinking it was a new bow with a defect is of no concern to me.
I was still lied to by the dealer,or they were lied to by Hoyt.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here's my take on the situaion

After re-reading your original post
1-Hoyt told you no warranty
2-You found a shop who said they could fix it under warranty
3-The shop then said no can do
4-You sold the bow to an AA member for what you say was fair price (this was not a guy who worked at the same shop that told you they could get it warrantied)
5-He got it fixed under warranty
I think you should explain the whole situation to the hoyt people and ask them if they do FAVORES for some shops and not others. They will tell you "absolutly not".
Then talk to the pro shop OWNER who said he could get it fixed under warranty and ask him why Hoyt changed their mind.
Then let it go 'cause you are never going to find out which one is lying to you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts