Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am definately in the market for a new Hoyt. I don't know if its going to be the Razortec, Cybertec, or Ultratec. For all the people who have shot the new Cam&1/2, do they really have NO timeing problems like they claim? I am a little wary of this new system, and I want to know if they really are as maintenance free as a single cam. Let me know. Approx. how many times have you shot it? Does it stay in tune? Good or bad I want to hear it. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i've had my razortec since jan. and haven't touched the setup yet, i do need a new bisquit for the rest, i usually shoot 5 times a week and 3d on sundays, i paper tune once every two weeks to check it now i'm new to archery, but my pro shop double checks me and says i'm doing everything right and it's definetly in time and tune, no problems so far. i love the bow. That's about all i know.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
Well I am a little anal about my equipment I want my performance marks to be perfect and the bow to shoot as fast as possible and still be shootable. I have adjusted my string one time 2 twists to get it back in to the performance marks. The bow was not shooting bad I just noticed that it moved a little and like to keep it dead in. I got the bow in March and have been shooting better than ever.

The way I see it if it did require a little more fine tuning it is well worth it. But I have done next to nothing to it, if it was a hunting bow I would not even have done what I did. by the way mine is a Ultratec spiral cam 1/2 and I am shooting 300 fps at 28"

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own other bows but I do have a cam&half Ultratec. I took off the factory cable and string and put on Winners Choice. It has stayed put since I tuned it. At 70#s, 29" draw 65% let-0ff 424 grain arrow is going 270 fps.

Obviously it is not the fastest kid on the block but certainly respectable, it is very forgiving, shoots where it is pointed, with very little hand shock, and is quiet to boot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Q2death,

Cam and a half does require some attention to the "tuning" or timing marks. I have been shooting a darton maverick with CPS for about 5 years. The strings and cables required some adjustments a couple times per year, and i found that the CPS cam system to be far less critical with regards to "timing" than traditional two cam systems. The point of impact and aiming charachteistics will stay the same as long as you stay pairly close to the tuning marks. With a two cam bow, I was timing the wheels about once per week, and the point of impact and aiming characteristics change dramatically with minor(as little as one twist)changes in cable length.

I have never owned a onecam, but i do have a hoyt with a spiral cam, and a regular hoyt one cam. I havent shot either bow enough to give an informed opinion, but i think that the regular hoyt cam and a half will behave similarly to the darton system I have used based on the draw characteristics. Both cams have a "hole" valley. The characteristics of the "hole" do not change with minor changes in wheel timing. The spiral cams' valley characteristics do change a bit with minor changes in the cables, but not as much as a two cam bow. I do not know, however if the spiral cam will shoot consistantly if slightly out of "tune".

The only way to tell what I or anyone else thinks of the cam and a half's is to see what they are shooting at vegas this winter. I will be interested to see how many 898, 899, and 900's will be shot with the cam and a half as compared to other bows.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maco12,

Spiral cam or regular? Do you know about the rest of the field? I saw alot of hoyt guys shooting two cam bows there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts