Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 51 57.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...not to bash the sts, but how many hoyt shooter wish that they would find a better way to mount an sts on the hoyt?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I gave up on trying to use an STS with my Hoyt Pro Elite. You can't get it to line up in the center of the Sims and you have to dissect part of it to use it at all (which is a real big negative in my eyes) without it hitting the cables. Because of the lack of a usable rear stabilizer mounting hole the Hoyt has to use a front mounted STS. The way the mount is designed it would make it almost impossible to properly connect the STS, a sling, a quick disconnect and a target stabilizer.

The STS may work fine on a lot of different bows (especially hunting rigs) but as far as using it for a Hoyt tech target riser, it is totally useless. I am sure there are many folks out here that love their STS and I am glad for them, as for me it was just one more of those products that ended up in my archery odds and ends box.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hoyt mount

Yes I too was displeased with the front mount STS on my Hoyt, so I tried contacting STSMan about a side mount, but I got no reply. I PM'ed him, and E-mailed him and never heard anything. So I ended up making my own side mount. I just took the front mount and drilled a hole through the side of it and bolted it to the side of my bow through the threaded hole in the riser. I then cut down the rod and shortened it up so it wasn't sticking out past the front of the bow and touched up any bare metal with a black majic marker. It works awesome, and doesn't look gawdy like the front mount. Give it a try, you'll love it!!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Smooch

I'm happy for you that you were able to work out a way to use your STS. As for me, Although I am more then capable of modifying the STS Mount or for that matter designing and manufacturing my own, I won't bother. The idea that I should have to redesign a product and spend more time and money to make it do what I have already paid the company who sold it said it would is not only disturbing to me but also tells me that the designer did not take the time to get it right the first time. It also just adds one more name to the list of those companies I know better then to order anything else from in the future.

As I said before, I am glad for those of you out there who use and enjoy using your STS's. To me it was an education and the waste of a few dollars. It isn't the first product that wasn't what it was hyped up to be and I'm sure it won't be the last. If everything we bought was as wonderful to us as we first imagined, the classifieds here would be empty. As you can see there are an awful lot of folks out here selling stuff that they either no longer use or are dissatisfied with. The STS is just one more of a long line of flash in the pan items that will run it course and then be replaced by the next generation "GREAT IDEA". It is one more new gadget to play with. So enjoy yourself. I'm not going to let it spoil my enjoyment of shooting my Hoyt. It shoots great, with or without an STS, and thats what counts.

·
StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
Glad I never bothered. Just another gadget to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'll have to get my son to help me post a picture tomorrow, he's the computer guru. :D :D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hoyt STS side mount

Here are the pictures I promised. Besides drilling a hole through it, I also had to file down the top left corner a little, as you can see in the picture, so it wouldn't hit the riser. Just touch up the bare metal with a black magic marker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Don't knock it til you try it! :D :D

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The STS works as advertised on my Ultratec. I would like to have a side mount for the reasons metioned above.

HV Bowman....
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the STS has a money-back satisfaction guarantee.

slinger

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ok what will it do and why would you want to put it on a bow . It looks like the same thing that came on the Jennings G-2 that every one took off after they got it home .

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
jeff 55/75 said:
Ok what will it do and why would you want to put it on a bow . It looks like the same thing that came on the Jennings G-2 that every one took off after they got it home .

The device on the Jennings may look similar, but it didn't do the job as well as the STS. I friend of mine yanked his off his Jennings because it caused too many problems. Tons of people are installing the STS and most (not all) of them love it.

Last Sunday, I took two bows out to the range. I shot about 30 arrows through an older target bow that did not have the STS and it shot fine. When I picked up my hunting bow (Hoyt UltraMag) with the STS, I was shocked :mg: at how smooth that bow shot. There was absolutely no vibration at all. The string went thump, the arrow took off and the bow did nothing but sit as quiet as church mouse in my hand.

The STS will tame hand shock and vibration like nothing you have ever seen. It is worth twice the money. It is true that there are a few people who have not noticed any difference, but the vast majority of shooters are very happy with the product. See if you can find a pro shop that has one you can try. You may love it to pieces.

I plan to get a second one for my indoor spot bow. If it wasn't extremely good, I would not spend the extra money to install it on a bow that is already very quiet and smooth.

Automan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Between my son and I we have 2 04,s an 03 and an 02,We have STS,system on all and it works great..I have had no problems with the frt mount STS for hoyts...

Larry

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I had no problems with the front mount, I just didn't like having to screw my stabilizer into the stud which held the STS in place, and made my stabilizer stick out another 3 inches. I think the side mount just looks cleaner.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
How quiet and vibration free do you expect to make a Hoyt? Its hard to believe they could be any better than they already are.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Slinger

I do realize that there was a money back guarantee. The money spent on the STS was never an issue with me. If there is or should I say was any issue about the STS it would have been that I honestly believe that there wasn't enough thought invested in the design of it. I think that getting the STS to market quickly took priority over researching the possible design problems that it might encounter. I believe that because nowhere on their website is there any mention that some bows might have a problem using the STS. I also think that little if any consideration was given to making the mount user friendly to anyone using it on a target bow. How is the average target archer suppose to attach a Sling, quick disconnect and 30 inch or longer stabilizer onto the thin threaded coupling that connects the STS to the riser. Even if it can be done, I would be fearful that if you rest the bow on the stabilizer, the coupling or mounting stud would snap from the weight of the bow and accessories. Simply put, the mount was poorly designed with no thought to anything but a hunting bow.

As I have said in two previous posts, I am glad that there are a lot of people who are having a great deal of success with the STS and I am sure that STSman is happy with the fact that he is developed a product that is providing him with a very favorable cash flow. You can't please everyone and since I am one of those who has been disappointed by the STS, I don't expect and am not asking for anyone to agree with my thoughts on this particular piece of equipment. I have reported on many archery related items over the past years that I have been a member here. This is merely one of many. Some have been good and some not so good. To my way of thinking this could have been a much better product if the inventor would have done a better job of designing the mount to be usable to a more diverse variety of bows. It would also have been useful if STS would have included information on their website letting perspective users know that the STS might have to be structurally modified to be able to be used on certain bows.

If your happy with your STS, I'm glad for you. As for me, I can live without it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont like the metal mounting stud either, Even on the small stabilizers , it just looks cheap, I saw one on here where a guy had cut the sts mount in half and welded it to a quick disconect, Looked real nice. Im thinking I am just going to mount it to the side of the bow , like smooch did. Just have to find the right bolt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts