Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the names of the Hoyt target bows that the pro's use for spots/3D??? I wanted to try Hoyt for shooting spots but don't know what the model names are. I'm also interested in ones that are a year or two old that guys use that are popular. This will only be used for spots/3D. Thanks!

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Vantage, ultra elite, pro elite, 38 pro 737

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Shoot-thur riser

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
The shoot thrus are stiffer and have less torsional flex through the draw and shot or at least that's what I'm told

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The Vantage Elite and Vantage Pro are new for 2009. The Pro Elite and Ultra Elite have been available for about five years and are still considered among the best target bows available. You can probably find a Pro Elite or Ultra Elite in the classifieds for less than half the price of a new Vantage Elite. There are not many Vantage Elites to be found in the classifieds yet. I have shot the Pro Elite for three years and recently got a couple Vantage Elites. Both are great bows, as is the Ultra Elite. Look these up on the Hoyt web site and then check the AT classifieds to see if there is something in your size available. You can't go wrong with any of these three bows.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Vantage Elite and Vantage Pro are new for 2009. The Pro Elite and Ultra Elite have been available for about five years and are still considered among the best target bows available. You can probably find a Pro Elite or Ultra Elite in the classifieds for less than half the price of a new Vantage Elite. There are not many Vantage Elites to be found in the classifieds yet. I have shot the Pro Elite for three years and recently got a couple Vantage Elites. Both are great bows, as is the Ultra Elite. Look these up on the Hoyt web site and then check the AT classifieds to see if there is something in your size available. You can't go wrong with any of these three bows.
Looking at the website, looks like with the Vantage bows, you gain 4" in ATA, but loose a half inch in brace height compared to the Proelite. Any other differences, or just a little "time for something fresh and new"? I'm not against that, you need to do that every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
:mg: I still shoot a Hoyt Protec LX (4000) ,don't know why the stopped making them !:(

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
ultraelite, proelite, vantage pro and vantage elite are all great target bows with an array of cam and limb combinations to suit any archers needs!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know the big differences between the Vantage line and the older model of Hoyt target bows?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Looking at the website, looks like with the Vantage bows, you gain 4" in ATA, but loose a half inch in brace height compared to the Proelite. Any other differences, or just a little "time for something fresh and new"? I'm not against that, you need to do that every once in a while.
The Vantage bows have a longer riser. It gives you the longer ATA without changing to longer limbs. Some people feel that the longer riser will hold a little more steady. I used the XT3000 limbs on my Pro Elites because I have a long draw length. That means the ATA was a wash between the two for me. There is not a great difference between the bows. The Pro Elite has a long track record of proven performance and tournament wins. The Vantage Elite has done very well this year, but is still new. As mentioned earlier, you can save a lot of money and get a very good bow by picking up an 07 or 08 Pro Elite from the classifieds.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I think for double duty I'd go with a Ultra Elite with XT3000 limbs and SpiralX cams. Tough call, though; there's a 17 lbs. difference between the draw weights on my spot bow and my 3d bow, and about a 300 grain arrow weight difference.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think for double duty I'd go with a Ultra Elite with XT3000 limbs and SpiralX cams. Tough call, though; there's a 17 lbs. difference between the draw weights on my spot bow and my 3d bow, and about a 300 grain arrow weight difference.
Are the XT3000 limbs longer limbs than the 2000 limbs. I see on the Hoyt website all of the bows come with 2000 limbs. Are the 3000's better?

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Are the XT3000 limbs longer limbs than the 2000 limbs. I see on the Hoyt website all of the bows come with 2000 limbs. Are the 3000's better?
yes the limbs are longer, thats the difference

XT500, XT1000, XT2000, XT3000, XT3500 (but i think the 3500's are bent to a recurve style if i remember right dont quote me on it)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Depends on your draw weight/length.

For example, I have a 26", with 45-50#, depending on how my left arm is holding.

So my decision was to go with UltraElite, with xt2000 limbs. Brace height helps me gaining a bit of speed.

If you post your DL/DW, we can make a more "evidence-based" opinion. ;)

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
What are most competition bows set up with? Are the 3000 the best way to go usually.
all depends on what your trying to achieve

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Depends on your draw weight/length.

For example, I have a 26", with 45-50#, depending on how my left arm is holding.

So my decision was to go with UltraElite, with xt2000 limbs. Brace height helps me gaining a bit of speed.

If you post your DL/DW, we can make a more "evidence-based" opinion. ;)
My draw length is 30". I don't know what poundage I would shoot a target bow. If I were shooting a bow with less let-off, like 65%, I would probably use a 50-60#? (This is my first attempt at a target bow).

The other post said it depends on my intentions. I want to shoot paper mostly, and some 3D. Maximum forgiveness. I may just use my hunting bow for 3D though since I really enjoy shooting it. It's a Drenalin LD at 63#.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts