Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's Trykon Sport is labeled with 40-50 lbs limbs but the bow max's out at 35 lbs. I've tightened the bolts all the way but the limbs aren't any where close to being 40-50. My little brother has the same bow marked 30-40 and his is dead on at 40lbs & his bolt's are tightened all the way. What's the deal with my wife's bow? Please help.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Your limbs are fine, all that's wrong is that your strings have stretched. Measure your axle to axle distance, it's probably at least 1/4" longer than the stock 31.0" spec. Adding twists to the strings/cables to get the ATA bank close to spec should put the peak weight back near where it's supposed to be. Any bow will require fine tuning of the strings to get it right at peak draw weight. If your ATA doesn't end up dead on spec for ATA, don't worry about it too much, either. It can actually takes quite a bit of time to get everything just perfect in terms of cam timing and peak weight/letoff, take it to your dealer if you're not familiar with doing it yourself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I haven't tried anything yet, but the ATA is the same as my brother's bow. I'm not sure if that tells you anything or not. I'd just like to figure out what the deal is so she can shoot it accurately! Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
How long have you had the bow? Have you ever measured the draw weight previously? 15 lbs off is a LOT and I doubt that's due to string/cable stretch.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
How long have you had the bow? Have you ever measured the draw weight previously? 15 lbs off is a LOT and I doubt that's due to string/cable stretch.
I agree... I had a trykon sport and it'd max out around 38lb with 40lb limbs. Something is amiss!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just about 6 months. I bought the bow used off of Ebay but I've thoroughly checked the limbs for cracks or abuse and there's nothing! & the string looks to be brand new with very little (if any) wear. I'm not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Call Hoyt. You'll want to have the limb deflection numbers for them before you call. They can be found on the ends of the limbs where they meet the limb pockets.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If the ATA is the same, then I'm not sure... it's possible if your cams are way off from their neutral position at brace it could throw the peak weight off too. But double check that ATA, your might really be surprised... in my experience it doesn't take much at all to increase or decrease peak weight- even something as minor as 1/8" of ATA could be 5 or 10lbs of difference on some bows. Also, are they the same draw length? On bows with adjustable DL mods (like the Trykon Sport), changing the DL will almost always change the peak draw weight... and you'll have to adjust the ATA to make up for it. Found this out on my GFs Diamond Razor edge. On bows that have different cams or modules for every different draw length, the peak doesn't seem to change as much....

But then again the limbs could have just been mislabeled, too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The limbs were labeled wrong. I took it to a Hoyt Dealer and he looked at it and the Factory Specs for it are 20-30lbs limbs so that's why it maxed out at 35. A huge difference from the 40-50lb sticker on the limb. Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts