Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoyt trykon XT500, my wife got me this bow I have never owned a Hoyt, What can you tell me on shooting and sound, is it a good bow to have?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
It is a good bow. Hopefully it will feel and shoot good for you.

:izza:

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I used to own one, it was a very good shootin' rig for me and performed flawlessly. About the only negative I ever heard from folks about the Trykon were that some didnt like the draw force curve. Good luck with your new rig.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
mine gets shipped to me tomorrow i cant wait!!!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I used to own one, it was a very good shootin' rig for me and performed flawlessly. About the only negative I ever heard from folks about the Trykon were that some didnt like the draw force curve. Good luck with your new rig.

I heard that a lot about the draw...but I got used to it very quickly. Also, it's nothing compared to today's speed cams.

I shoot it well and it has performed wonderfully for me - hunting, target and 3D. I have another setup for target now...but it's still my primary practice / hunting bow.

If it has junky strings on it, you will want to change those out. I find it is a finicky shooting bow when it isn't in tune. If it's a little out of tune you will notice the wall isn't the same, it's louder, and you will start getting slightly erratic flight.

When it's in proper tune, it's magic.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have one and i love it! it is a great shooting bow and i will never get rid of it. I just got a new alpha burner but shoot my trykon just as much as it

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also if you are interested in getting a string stop for it look up CoolHandLuke on here he makes a real nice one that fits in your bottom quiver hole (since it does not have the rear mount)

·
When's bow season start?
8,904 Posts
I heard that a lot about the draw...but I got used to it very quickly. Also, it's nothing compared to today's speed cams.

I shoot it well and it has performed wonderfully for me - hunting, target and 3D. I have another setup for target now...but it's still my primary practice / hunting bow.

If it has junky strings on it, you will want to change those out. I find it is a finicky shooting bow when it isn't in tune. If it's a little out of tune you will notice the wall isn't the same, it's louder, and you will start getting slightly erratic flight.

When it's in proper tune, it's magic.
I got used to it pretty quickly, also. I have 50#-60# limbs but it pulls 63#, which is perfect for me. I do not detect that big "hump" a lot of people first complained about. Personally, I think it draws smooth and it is very accurate. It's a little heavier than newer bows, but that little bit of extra weight doesn't really bother me. I have no plans to upgrade any time soon. Besides, I prefer the bronze color of the cams and limb pockets on my Trike to the pretty standard black ones they use now.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I had a Hoyt Trykon XL and it was not one of Hoyts better bows, but it was good enough. This was the first paralell limb Hoyt and all the bows that followed the Trykon series were better. This being said my Trykon XL served me well until I got my Maxxis 31.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
I love my Trykon XL. The only advantage I see in 2nd generation Trykons(Katera and Vectrix) are the built in string stoppers. Add a Fuse string stopper to the Trykon and you've got a bow that will shoot with anything in it's class.

·
When's bow season start?
8,904 Posts
I had a Hoyt Trykon XL and it was not one of Hoyts better bows, but it was good enough. This was the first paralell limb Hoyt and all the bows that followed the Trykon series were better. This being said my Trykon XL served me well until I got my Maxxis 31.
I don't really follow your logic. Almost any bow that follows another bow is better is some fashion than the one it replaced. That doesn't make the one that's replaced "not one of Hoyts better bows, but it was good enough." Are you saying the Trykon was not better than the VTec, for example?

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
I don't really follow your logic. Almost any bow that follows another bow is better is some fashion than the one it replaced. That doesn't make the one that's replaced "not one of Hoyts better bows, but it was good enough." Are you saying the Trykon was not better than the VTec, for example?
Your Trykon, and my Trykon XL are both really nice bows.:cool:

·
Banned
335 Posts
I got one about a month ago and already got used to the draw on it, i haven't chronoed it though. Does anyone know how fast it there's was shooting. mine is on a 27.5 Draw Length and 64 pounds with a 340 grain arrow. Seems fairly quick but seems like it could be faster. Could you list your speed, DL, DW, and arrow weight if you know. thanks

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
I got one about a month ago and already got used to the draw on it, i haven't chronoed it though. Does anyone know how fast it there's was shooting. mine is on a 27.5 Draw Length and 64 pounds with a 340 grain arrow. Seems fairly quick but seems like it could be faster. Could you list your speed, DL, DW, and arrow weight if you know. thanks
Mine is a 28.5" @ 65#, and shoots a 400 gr. arrow at just under 275fps.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I shot one for a few years. It performed flawless with no issues. It sold it and upgraded to the alpha max.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts

This is a very true statment. After all the complaining about the draw on Trykons in the quest for speed most if not all of the 2010 models are worse. It's almost comical to hear about the Trykons when they first came out and listen to the same people describe draws on their new 2010 bows which are way worse drawing as " smooth bow ever ". The Trykon is a really nice solid bow.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Wasn't it the last Hoyt bow to be used on dream season? I thought i remember them using them the year they came out.

Correct.:wink:

The Drurys went to PSE the following year after Terry says on the DVD that came with the 2006 bows that he expected to be with Hoyt for a long time to come.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts