Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sultan of Smack
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Hoyt guys out there, do you typically have the bottom cam hit slightly before the top?

SCFox

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
For the Hoyt guys out there, do you typically have the bottom cam hit slightly before the top?

SCFox
Other way around for most humans on this planet. For most humans, with normal range of motion on the bowside wrist, top cam hitting first gets best results (vertical nock travel).
BEST vertical nock travel, means minimum spread for fletched groups when measuring in the vertical direction.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts

SCFox
So, when I say MOST humans on this planet, there are SOME humans on this planet, where what works for MOST folks does not work. I'm talking famous online tuners, who tune a bow for a feller that shipped a bow. So, hunter feller ships his bow to a famous online tuner guy. So, famous online tuner guy assumes the hunter feller is a normal human, with normal range of motion for the bowside wrist. Most online tuner guys have ZERO medical background. So, hunter feller contacts me, and says he paid $$$$ to get his bow tuned, and it shoots like crap. Tell him to come see me in person. Hunter feller drives hours. I ask hunter feller to shoot some arrows. AFter the first shot, I ask the hunter feller guy, how many times? He says, noticed did ya? He said both sides. Left side wrist, surgically repaired. Titanium plates and titanium screws hold his left wrist together. Release side wrist broken several times, but never surgically repaired. Ex motorcycle racer.

So, what works for MOST humans for tuning Hoyts, namely top cam hitting cable first, and small gap at the bottom cam...does not and never will work for this feller with a surgically repaired bow side wrist. He has less than normal range of motion on the bow hand wrist, so his pressure distribution on the grip of his Hoyt bow is nothing like most human shooters on this planet. TUne your cam sync (timing) for what gives YOU best shooting results.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,132 Posts
I want them dead on each other. Heck, I may not be able to tell the difference but dead on is how I set my bows up and I have for years.

·
Sultan of Smack
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other way around for most humans on this planet. For most humans, with normal range of motion on the bowside wrist, top cam hitting first gets best results (vertical nock travel).
BEST vertical nock travel, means minimum spread for fletched groups when measuring in the vertical direction.
Thanks, Alan

SCFox

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,998 Posts

SCFox
On the older hybrids I had the top hit first by a 1/32 inch and pull it tight thru to the bottom string stop.

From the Z5 cams forward, I’ve been doing the cams dead even on a drawboard and getting bulletholes in paper.

So my opinion is the newer Hoyt hybrids, tune them like a binary, dead even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Shooting spiral X cams and Vector cams: both for me I have the top cam hitting anywhere from 1/8 - 1/4" in front of bottom cam.

The reason I put the top cam in front is the feeling of the shot, and most importantly for creep tuning. I want the arrow to hit the same hole at 20 yds whether I'm trying to pull the limbs off or more relaxed into the wall. This has given me the best result.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
On the older hybrids I had the top hit first by a 1/32 inch and pull it tight thru to the bottom string stop.

From the Z5 cams forward, I’ve been doing the cams dead even on a drawboard and getting bulletholes in paper.

So my opinion is the newer Hoyt hybrids, tune them like a binary, dead even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly my findings as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts