Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to get my first bow. I've been to my local proshop and have learned alot.. but I still don't know much about archery or bowhunting. Shot a bunch of bows.. mathews dxt, z7, switchback, couple of missions, the new bear attack and assault, Diamond iceman and stud, and my favorite, the hoyts.

For some reason, the hoyts feel best in my hand, and from what the shop owner says, "There is no best bow company, it's just what you prefer."

Well, I prefer the hoyts, and I think I've settled on the 2010 turbohawk. smooth draw, quiet, and fast enough for me.

But before I make the final decision, what do ya'll have to say?:blob1:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would say you right on track! That is one of the quietest bows I have ever heard and has really good speed at the same time. Bow also has the laminated limbs. I would say you cannot go wrong! Have fun

·
OWN YOUR SHOT!
3,465 Posts
Pse

I would say that the Pse Bow madness is your best bang for your buck, faster just as smooth and close in price. Just my opinion, the turbohawk is a great bow as well. Also Check out the new pse vendetta xl, or vendetta great bows at a good price as well

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I would say you have an honest dealer and would trust the guy. There are other brands to try also that you may like too. Bowtech has a fair bit of assortment but you never go wrong in buying a Hoyt bow either.

·
Registered
2007 BEAR INSTINCT
5,740 Posts
Martin Bengal for $399 at my shop and that is with the sts and ccs system(cable containment system) Super smooth draw, single cam, IBO is 320fps.
Check it out and save some money possible.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Wow. An owner not pushing brand X over brand Y? Nice. Keep this guy as your bow-tech whatever the cost.

The Turbohawk is a flat out winner. You'll find no shortage of people who agree with that too. Consider this, last year the AlphaMax was likely the most popular bow of the year. The TurboHawk for all intents and purposes is the AlphaMax; slightly different riser, and one less bushing behind it. And several hundred bucks less.

Buy it. :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I agree.........

Best bow for the buck! For a great hunting bow at a price that most can afford........it is #1 !
Greg:)

·
Registered
607 Posts
The shop owner is spot on, and the turbo hawk is a great bow for the price. The strings will streach a little so i would take it back to him after a couple hundred shots or so to put it back in tune.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your shop owner is dead on. There is no such thing as "the" bow for everyone. So much of what makes a bow "great" is how it feels and that changes for everyone. Let's face it, if there was one perfect bow that everyone loved, then there would be no other bow companies.

The TurboHawk is a great choice and a whole bunch of bow for the money. It sounds like you have found "your" bow and more importanly it sounds like you have found a shop you can trust. Good luck and I am sure you are going to enjoy the sport and your new bow.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You didnt settle on anything you picked one bad bow! Just because the bow cost a little less then some of the others what are you really loosing? Maybe 20 fps and a couple of oz? For around $400 less then a lot of bows you made a great pick and a very wise decision.

About to get my first bow. I've been to my local proshop and have learned alot.. but I still don't know much about archery or bowhunting. Shot a bunch of bows.. mathews dxt, z7, switchback, couple of missions, the new bear attack and assault, Diamond iceman and stud, and my favorite, the hoyts.

For some reason, the hoyts feel best in my hand, and from what the shop owner says, "There is no best bow company, it's just what you prefer."

Well, I prefer the hoyts, and I think I've settled on the 2010 turbohawk. smooth draw, quiet, and fast enough for me.

But before I make the final decision, what do ya'll have to say?:blob1:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I concur, I bought a new Turbohawk about 2 weeks ago! It is really my first bow. I owned a low-end PSE model about 15 years ago, and shot it very little, so my experience with bows was nill going into this purchase. I shot the TH, the AM, a Mathews Reezen, and one of the PSE speed bows, don't recall the model. To me, the Hoyts just felt right, and the AM felt no better than the TH, so I bought the TH. I love it, and haven't had this much fun in quite some time. I really can't speak on how quiet the bow is or how vibration-free it is because I have no experience to compare it to. I just love shooting it though, and comparing to my old PSE, it is a night and day difference. I did not know a bow could be this smooth. I will say draw on my TH is much smoother than the Mathews or PSE I shot. Just a very small hump approaching full-draw, very small. The PSE was a huge HUMP! I love it!!!!

Now the bad news, I busted my new TH just last week. I pulled a really dumb stunt, and accidently drt-fire from just over half-draw! Peep fell out of the string, string derailed on the lower cam, and the DL stop pin was bent, also, the string serving came apart. It was an absolute mess! Bow is currently in the shop, waiting on a new string and DL stop pin. Being a newbie, I was fully aware of dry-firing be VERY BAD, I just dropped the string my mistake, and lesson learned. I was a tad disappointed that the bow came apart from this mishap, but I have no knowledge if any bow will survive such a mishap? Cna anyone answer that question? Do some bow survive dry-fire? I suppose the bow did survive, but the string sure did not.....

Brent

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
The TH is a GREAT bow. I have been shooting bows a long time and this one has been my favorite. I have heard nothing but goods things about it. I LOVE mine!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great bow. You are essentially getting an Alphamax for a fraction of the price. And most importantly, it fits you the best.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm blown away by the replies.. this is a large forum. I purchased the bow yesterday... and I love it. Shoots great, really quiet and fast.

Can't wait till april. Gobble gobble**

1 - 15 of 15 Posts