Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2009 VE with XT2000 cams. The limb bolts seem VERY stiff though - it takes pretty much as much force as I can put into it (with a normal Easton "multi" allen key) to turn the limb bolts - and it's not because the side bolts or the bolt at the back (i.e. inside of the riser) is tight - the stiffness/tightness problem is there even if these bolts are all loosened. I don't think it is rust.

So tight I've actually damaged the hex hole in one of the bolts (btw does anyone know what size allen key to use for Hoyt limb bolts? None of the ones on the Easton allen key seem to be a perfect fit.

Has anyone else had this problem? Would it help to put WD40 or penetrating oil or something similar in/on the bolts? Should I take the bow apart with a press and oil everything up or is it just the way these were built.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Have you loosened the little bolts on the side of the riser just under the limb pockets? I had a 2010 and I frequently forgot to loosen this lock down for the limbs. Just a thought....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - I did/do. Those are the ones that I meant by "the bolt at the back (i.e. inside of the riser)" - probably not the best description. So it's unusual for them to be so tight?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I can remember the bottom limb bolt being kind of difficult, but nothing like what you're talking about. I'd pour the penetrating oil to them and see what happens. Or break the bow down and put a little antiseize on the bolt threads. The size is 3/16" for the allen wrench.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Just thought I'd add that these allen wrench sets that are short to put in your quiver are handy, but being this short, it makes them hard to use on tight bolts.. I keep a 3/16" allen with a long arm in my workshop to use on limb bolts .

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thought I'd add that these allen wrench sets that are short to put in your quiver are handy, but being this short, it makes them hard to use on tight bolts.. I keep a 3/16" allen with a long arm in my workshop to use on limb bolts .
Thanks for this. I have a few loose ones too, but like the fat grip of the sets. Maybe I'll see if I can "mount" one of the loose ones in a "handle" of some sort.

·
Member # 75
3,498 Posts
The Outer Limit weight bolt wrenches with the long round extension work great.

All of my PE and UE weight bolts are really stiff, probably because of the short fulcrum of the pocket that increases the load on the bolt threads. Three of these bows are 2009 models that have 3/8 weight bolts that use a 7/32 allen wrench and they are easier to turn.

Taking the bow apart, cleaning the threads, and lubricating with anti-seize or wheel bearing grease will help but not completely. It will still be stiff but smoother.

My VE+ with the longer fulcrum pockets is much easier to turn and it has the smaller 5/16 bolts but I still like to use the long arm allen wrench. McMaster-Carr has allen wrenches with 12" long arms.

I suspect that the new Hoyts with the steel crossbars work slicker than eel snot.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Hell, I don't remember. The VE could well be a 7/32. I know both of my 12 VE+'s are 3/16

·
Registered
34,177 Posts
You probably just need to take the bolts out and clean them and then re lube them. I got a 2010 VE a month ago....The bolts were rather STIFF to say the least. Since it was a used bow and I needed to change the cams anyway. I took the bow COMPLETELY apart. I mean totally apart and cleaned everything and lubed up everything. The bolts move VERY easily as they should now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts