Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just came back from my local shop after spending a hour with both of these bows. Here’s my take. Both bows are awesome and you can’t go wrong with either. With that said here are some of my findings and opinions.
Both bows were 29.5/70lbs the Hoyt came in at 71lbs and the Elite at 70.5lbs
Draw cycle both draw good but the Hoyt wins for me it felt a good 2lbs lighter than the Elite.
Vibration again both are nice but the Hoyt is dead in the hand with or without it’s little chub stabilizer. The Elite isvery good but there is a noticeable difference between the two. As far as noise goes both bare very quiet and I couldn’t really tell a difference.
Speed we shot a 427 grain carbon express maxima through a Pro Chrono. Both bows had a whisker biscuit and a loop on the string. The Elite was 297,298,297 and the Hoyt was 291,290,292.
Weight, both bows had a whisker biscuit on when weighed. The Elite came in at 4.9lbs and the Hoyt right at 5lbs this was without Hoyts little chub stabilizer. The shop tech weighed the Hoyt chub at 3.5 ounces
Finish, both bows were immaculate the Elite was in OD green and the Hoyt was in Buckskin. Both colors look amazing. I know Elites camo finish will look nicer than Hoyts as Elites use color fusion and Hoyt use old film dim for their cano patterns. But Hoyt does solid colors good.
Before I went to the shop I figured I’d be ordering a new Enkore. But I’m really digging the Hoyt. I have to go back to the shop Friday night and get new cams out on my ritual35 and will most likely be ordering a new Ventum33 in Buckskin.
These are my findings and opinions and I’m sure some others will disagree. But Hoyt did a good job on their bows this year. I Can’t comment on the Rx5 because I’m not a fan of carbon bows and did t shoot it. I know they probably won’t tune up as easy/fast as Elite’s SET Technology. One thing I didn’t like about the Hoyt was lack of a bushing for a side bar mount. You have to buy their sidebar bar mount if you want to run one. If you get the chance shoot both of these bows they are top notch.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good idea posting this in a different thread for more visibility. Saw this in the other Hoyt thread.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surprised the Hoyt calculates out to about 324 IBO. I guess that is why it was easy to draw.
The Elite only calculated out at 330ibo. And from what’s been reported as they hit 340ibo quite regularly. The bows weren’t tuned as we pulled them out of the box slapped a whisker biscuit on them and shot them. I’m assuming the mix of not being tuned, using a whisker biscuit and shooting them through a Pro Chrono has something to do with both being 10fps below their ratings. I’ve also been reading here that a lot of the new Hoyts are hitting their numbers.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,343 Posts
The pro chrono has to be running slow - which is not at all uncommon for them. It may be a little early to have evidence on the new Hoyts but plenty of evidence that the Enkore is hitting the numbers.

Reactions: lee31

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
I don't get why Hoyt's carbon bows weigh nearly the same as most everyone else's non carbon bows????

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I don't get why Hoyt's carbon bows weigh nearly the same as most everyone else's non carbon bows????
People’s number one gripe about carbon bows is hand shock and noise. Hoyt made theirs heavy to alleviate that. Now people are mad that it’s heavy. With current technology, you can’t have both.

If you want super light with manageable to minimal hand shock depending on arrow weight, buy a Mach 1. If you want a cool looking carbon bow that shoots like an aluminum bow, buy an RX5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
People’s number one gripe about carbon bows is hand shock and noise. Hoyt made theirs heavy to alleviate that. Now people are mad that it’s heavy. With current technology, you can’t have both.

If you want super light with manageable to minimal hand shock depending on arrow weight, buy a Mach 1. If you want a cool looking carbon bow that shoots like an aluminum bow, buy an RX5.

Can't argue with any of this! Good points!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t know the answer. But I didn’t shoot a Carbon Hoyt as I’m not interested in 1500-1600 dollar hunting bows. I made this thread and the short review between two really nice aluminum hunting bows.

·
Registered
24,755 Posts
Personal preference but weight is the last thing I consider when it comes to a carbon bow.

Hoyt will do well this year. With that said, I’m still completely happy with my RX4 Ultra.

·
Registered
16,668 Posts
I don’t know the answer. But I didn’t shoot a Carbon Hoyt as I’m not interested in 1500-1600 dollar hunting bows. I made this thread and the short review between two really nice aluminum hunting bows.
Dang where you seeing 1500-1600 for the carbon rx5? They are 1699 around me

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang where you seeing 1500-1600 for the carbon rx5? They are 1699 around me
I dunno I just figured they were about 5-600 more than the aluminum bows🤷‍♂️. If they are really going for 1700 dollars that’s idiotic. They don’t really offer any advantage over a aluminum bow. Even if they do it’s not worth that kind of money.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,343 Posts

I get your point but I'm confused by your thinking. The ENTIRE argument for carbon bows when Hoyt first started pushing them was that you could get a lighter bow riser with the same stiffness. And initially, they actually delivered on that. Are there some tradeoffs? Yes, but that was the whole point of carbon. Yes, the "warm to the touch" thing became an afterthought benefit some touted but that's barely meaningful and easily addressed (heck, for many years I've been using racket grip tape that costs a couple of bucks like many pro shooters use and have never had cold riser issues).

So one can argue that adding significant weight to the Hoyt carbon bows has helped lessen hand shock and noise but they've then walked away from the entire reason for introducing carbon. And carbon costs a LOT more. Yes, someone can go get a Mach 1 if they want a real carbon bow that actually achieves the intended purpose. But for Hoyt, the question remains as to what is left to justify anyone in their right mind buying a Hoyt carbon bow and paying the significant premium when no tangible benefits remain in the Hoyt carbon vs. aluminum bows?

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Ventum and Enkore the two best 2021's I have shot this year, Ventum actually the best bow I have ever shot.
I get that I will only know for sure once I can stretch it out a bit.
The Enkore is extremely nice, and was on the top of my list for a while.
Depending on your draw length, both will be comparable in speed. Maybe the Enkore wins by a few feet per second.
Both the Enkore and Ventums draw smooth, but the Enkore is definitely stiffer throughout the entire cycle.
Both seem to balance well and have nice grips. The Elite grip still may be the best in the business.
The Ventum's are both quieter and deader than the Enkore, actually I think the Ventums are the quietest and deadest on the market now. Yep, slightly better than the beloved Mathews.
Fit and finish goes to Elite, the Hoyt solids are nice, but the Elite camo is much nicer.
Two of 2021's best, if I could only have one I have to say it would be a Ventum.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Personal preference but weight is the last thing I consider when it comes to a carbon bow.

Hoyt will do well this year. With that said, I’m still completely happy with my RX4 Ultra.

weight is generally one of the first if not the biggest reason most people want a carbon bow. In my opinion, I wouldn’t even consider a RX5 just on mass weight alone. Plenty of aluminum options that are lighter and much cheaper

1 - 20 of 35 Posts