Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just thought I would throw this one out there. If you had your choice between a HOYT or MATHEWS which one would it be and why? Personally I would pic a HOYT. I just can't find a more sweeter shooting bow between the two. I have yet to find a solo cam that will out shoot a hybrid cam or the spiral cam that Hoyt has. ANYONE WHO HAS A COMMENT OF ANY KIND ABOUT THE TWO JUST PUT IT DOWN FOR EVERYONE TO SEE. This will be a great thread for everyone to learn more about the two and how they compare!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I shot Mathew's for years & decided this year to try out the Hoyt line so i went to a shop & shot 5-6 different Hoyt's & the Vtec fit me like a glove i have never had a bow that was perfect from draw to release & now i do. I found my new brand of bow.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would have to go with Hoyt, I am definately glad that there are more than just the two out there. However if it was only the two, Hoyt is it. I just can't get used to single cam bows. I have had a few and shot several. I just don't like them. The hybrid systems are awesome. I like duallys too. My $0.02...:darkbeer:

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
It woudl have to be the Hoyt It didnt seem as smooth as the mathews but it did seem a bit more balanced and I have a preference for balance with out long stabilizers

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I would and did pick a Mathews lol. Now, since we are being HONEST, no one can get offended when I post why.

For starters, I hate the TEC risers on Hoyt bows, that is the biggest reason I'll never own a Hoyt. Second of all, I don't think the Trykon, or any Hoyt I have tried for that matter is anywhere near as smooth as a Mathews. The draw cycle on the Trykon was VERY harsh, and I am not the only one who has posted this or feels this way, I've even seen long time Hoyt lovers on here say it's harsh but you get use to it. Finally, their bows seem to weigh a ton for some reason and overall I just don't like the way they feel in my hand. They are fast little devils for sure and they are quiet, but all in all I am just not a Hoyt fan.

Now, Mathews on the other hand, to me the bows are just absolutely BEAUTIFUL. From the Realtree Hardwoods HD finish to all the sleek curves. They may not be as fast as other bows on the market, but they shoot plenty fast for me and they're the smoothest bow I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. I see post after post, after post on here and other forums of people having trouble with the 2 cam bows, the hybrid cams and all the other faster models, but I have never had any of my solo cam bows go out of time. I'll gladly trade some speed in order to save myself the headache of having to mess around with multiple cam set ups.

Now, I repeat, this is only MY OPINION, this is obviously not the law of the land by any means. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion as well, but let's act like adults and keep the bashing out of this one for once.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, that is interesting. I shot all the "hot" bows this year and the one that I liked the least was a Hoyt. Go figure. WDO

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ex-Hoyter

Give up my Hoyt once I shot a Mathews. The XT is smoother than any Hoyt I ever shot, less vibration for sure. My $.03, keep the change.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I had a Hoyt before I ever shot a Mathews. When the Outback came out I shot it and thought I'd shoot Hoyts forever. But when the Switchback came out last year I shot it and now I don't think I'll ever shoot anything but a Mathews. In fact I liked my 05 Switchback so well that I bought an 06 as my backup. I like everything about the SB except its speed. I use my bows almost exclusively for hunting and would like to shoot my heavy hunting arrows between 270 and 280 fps but like PABowHunt4Life says I'll take everything my SB has to offer and sacrifice the speed. I still shoot my FMJ's 253fps which will still blow through a deer. Just a great overall feeling bow.

TEXAS

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Accuracy

OK, so you guys that switch to Mathews from Hoyt which one seems the most accurate?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I shot 4 diifferent Hoyt bow this year and that was what I went to buy. This dealer was selling all his Hoyt bows at dealer cost. He had over 60 bows in stock. He was tired of the slow replacement parts shipments. He also carried Bowtech and Matthews. After shooting the Switchback XT it was over for me. None of the Hoyts were as smooth as the Bowrech or Matthews. The Matthews was higher in cost but it was well worth it. Both of my sons shoot Hoyt's and they now have the Switchback XT's. I raised them on Hoyt's.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I would have to say Hoyt between the 2, basically because I like the grip better ( didnt say riser , just grip ) I think Mathews makes a very fine bow and I dont think I would have any probs shooting one , there are bows out there that I like better than either of these 2 choices tho :)

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
TurboTec Man said:
OK, so you guys that switch to Mathews from Hoyt which one seems the most accurate?

I also had an LX which was a real shooter but I did sell it to get another SB. I really think the SB is a tack driver. I've only shot the XT a few times but others on the forum swear by them. For me the SB is very accurate.

TEXAS

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
IMHO I would pic a Hoyt! I didn't have the money to get any top notch bow but what i have works fine! It is a PSE Triton AKA Hoyt Triton.....(mini Trykon)

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
TEXAS 10PT said:
I still shoot my FMJ's 253fps which will still blow through a deer. TEXAS

My lord man, how heavy are those arrows that you're only getting 253 fps lol?

·
Registered
73 Posts
[Second of all, I don't think the Trykon, or any Hoyt I have tried for that matter is anywhere near as smooth as a Mathews. The draw cycle on the Trykon was VERY harsh, and I am not the only one who has posted this or feels this way, I've even seen long time Hoyt lovers on here say it's harsh but you get use to it.

yes it may be smoother on the mathews but you cant match the speed and still have the shootability of a hoyt

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
jimmd said:
yes it may be smoother on the mathews but you cant match the speed and still have the shootability of a hoyt

Didn't I already say the Hoyt was faster??? lol

Am I missing something? As for the shootability, it's all about the man behind the bow chief ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pabowhunt4life said it 4 me!

:wink:
PABowhunt4life said:
I would and did pick a Mathews lol. Now, since we are being HONEST, no one can get offended when I post why.

For starters, I hate the TEC risers on Hoyt bows, that is the biggest reason I'll never own a Hoyt. Second of all, I don't think the Trykon, or any Hoyt I have tried for that matter is anywhere near as smooth as a Mathews. The draw cycle on the Trykon was VERY harsh, and I am not the only one who has posted this or feels this way, I've even seen long time Hoyt lovers on here say it's harsh but you get use to it. Finally, their bows seem to weigh a ton for some reason and overall I just don't like the way they feel in my hand. They are fast little devils for sure and they are quiet, but all in all I am just not a Hoyt fan.

Now, Mathews on the other hand, to me the bows are just absolutely BEAUTIFUL. From the Realtree Hardwoods HD finish to all the sleek curves. They may not be as fast as other bows on the market, but they shoot plenty fast for me and they're the smoothest bow I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. I see post after post, after post on here and other forums of people having trouble with the 2 cam bows, the hybrid cams and all the other faster models, but I have never had any of my solo cam bows go out of time. I'll gladly trade some speed in order to save myself the headache of having to mess around with multiple cam set ups.

Now, I repeat, this is only MY OPINION, this is obviously not the law of the land by any means. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion as well, but let's act like adults and keep the bashing out of this one for once.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
My lord man, how heavy are those arrows that you're only getting 253 fps lol?

First off I'm handicapped by only having a 28" draw. I'm shoot Full Metal Jackets which are 28" in 340 spine with a 100 gr head. Finished weight are 459 grains. My bow is perfectly tuned and I'm drilling bulls eyes in my Yellow Jacket broadhead target with the Silver Flames.

TEXAS

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bashing?

I don't think anyone's bashing. I wanted everyone to be straight forward and say what they think. Everyone's has a right to their own opinion. Game On
But, if you think everyone's bashing thats your opinion right :wink:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts