Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new target bow. I am seriously looking at the Hoyt Protec or Pro elite or the Mathews Apex. I have a 31 inch draw length any suggestions.:darkbeer:

·
Banned
910 Posts
i see more Hoyts than Mathews at 3D shoots in my area...that wasnt the case before the cam and a 1/2. the Mathews I do see, the Apex is probably the most popular among the Mathews guys who have a 3-D specific bow.. I think Hoyts resale a lil better. I like the 1 short string and 2 cables much better than 1 long string and a cable.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'm a little biased toward the Protec, but I'll put in my vote anyway!:wink: Actually, I really like how they shoot and the grip/handle fit very well.
I would suggest trying to find a model of each one and shoot them before making a decision.

·
Made in USA
1,720 Posts
seems like the long draw length guys are shooting "lights out" with that apex, I had proelite and apex and the apex was the better aiming bow of the two:rolleyes: but..... the proelite hit behind the pin every time:) go figure:rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoyt

Had the ultra elite but the brace height was a bit low and the reflex geometry was a bit of a bummer could not get used to it shot better scores on FITA with a ultra sport. Sold the ultra elite today and will start testing the apex monday.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Dartonman said:
seems like the long draw length guys are shooting "lights out" with that apex, I had proelite and apex and the apex was the better aiming bow of the two:rolleyes: but..... the proelite hit behind the pin every time:) go figure:rolleyes:
must be the cam system:wink:

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
31" draw:eek: your a big dude!!! Go out and shoot the bows you want then make your decision based on that. I shoot Hoyt's for about a year, but when the Mathews Switchback XT hit the pro shop I felt more comfortable with draw cylce of it over the new Trykon, the XT doesn't feel like it's a 70lb. bow more like 60lb'r.

But honestly, go shoot them first, and let us know how it goes. :wink:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
bow

I am also looking at both but at this point Mathews is leading

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
Marius said:
Sold the ultra elite today and will start testing the apex monday.
Good deal.

Let us know how it pans out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hoyt or Mathews for Target

After asking the same question myself, I ended up purchasing the Hoyt ProElite.

Many guys at a range near where I live recommended the ProElite because they liked the smoothness of the draw and that it is very forgiving.

·
Banned
910 Posts
I know a couple pretty good pro am guys and they tell me they shoot mathews for 1 reason...if you do get in the money, Mathews pays more $ to pro am circuit shooters using there bows than anybody else. This guy buys his wife a Hoyt.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
hansel said:
Go out and shoot the bows you want then make your decision based on that.
Here's the best advise on the thread. ( the above quote ) Different bows feel, hold, and shoot differently for each individual. You'll know when you find the bow for you.

Good Luck,
Nick

·
Registered
434 Posts
Another Ford v. Chevy question:)

You really can't go wrong either way. Shoot both, and get the one that you like.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
31" dl

Apex
Pro-Elite with 3000 limbs

both will provide a nice ,comfortable string angle for that long draw which will have the peep closer to your eye.

less string angle is good no matter what you are shooting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im using an ultratec. i dont have any complaints. But I also have heard alot of good feedbacks regarding Mathews' Conquest(right for you). Apex 7 are for those with shorter draws.
Bottom line is, you need to try them for yourself because both are good bows. Dont decide based on what we will say here coz these bows are equally good.

Good luck! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I shot mathews for years & decided this past june that i wanted to see what hoyt had out so i went to a shop & shot several different hoyts & came home with the hoyt vtec. I was very impressed with the hoyts & that will be my new brand of bow from now on.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Mathews vs Hoyt

I was a long time Hoyt shooter and now a long time mathews shooter.I started this year back with a Ultraelite cam.5 didnt really like it so I converted to spirals liked them a little better but still felt harsh sold it and now im shooting the Apex 7 for everything and love it.There both great brands but I prefer mathews in general.Hope this helps its just what you get used to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts