Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear guys, I really need some help.
I'm new to compound bows. Just got a used one recently.
A RH Hoyt 2003 cam & 1/2 Protec XT2000.
At the cam, it is currenty set to 'A' position.

Sent it to shop for service & tuning.The guy told me that the draw lenght is not suitalble for me.It should be about 27-28.He mentioned that I'll have to change the cams and strings.

How can I identify what cams is it and which cams should I be looking for?

According to the tune chart displayed (frm Hoyt)the bow's cam & module is 'F-6',correct?
Then I should be looking for the 'B-2' or the 'C-3' cams,right?
What's the draw length range for 'B-2' & 'C-3' cams?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
The B-2 one's should work for you.
Has a draw range of 25.5-28. The cams module side go from A-F in 1/2" increments. The Hoyts chart show the draw in the D setting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Let off modules

The bow came with the high and low let off modules.
Can I reuse them for the B-2 or C-3 cams?

Errr,what cam & modules is the bow having anyway?

:confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm having a 'F-6' cam. Can I still use the let off modules
for the 'B-2' or 'C-3' cams?

How do I get in touch with Hoyt guys?Any email address?

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
No, you cannot use the modules from the F cams on a B cam.

To contact hoyt, look up their number on the HOYT USA website.

Good luck, I think you will like your protec.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Letoff modules

I love :D the Protec. The thing is that it's draw length is not suitable for me.I see and enbrace the bow almost everyday,but I can't really shoot it :( .And that's driving me up the ceiling.:eek:

Thanks for your helpful reply,but
I've decided to get the 'C-3' cams.
will the letoff modules work for the 'C-3'
cams?

Wanting to trade, but it seems that there are not many people with a draw length of 29.5-30.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Blacksheep, I am pretty sure that letoff modules are different for each cam size.

Also, if you are concerned with speed, the Hoyts are much faster when shot at, or near the top of their draw length range.

If your drawlength is 28" or less, you would want to go with the B cams.

If speed is not an issue for you, the C cam might be easier to resell since its 26.5"-29" range probably covers more people than the B cam would.

Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Difference in speed

I'm living in Asia.Telephone call to US can be slightly costly.Any email address?

My draw length is about
29 (recurve)
The shop guys told me I should be going for
28 for compounds,mentioning that my bow arm have
to be slightly bent to absorb the bow's torque when shooting.
What do you think?

I didn't know that there is a difference of speed in diferrent cams.
Slight or huge difference?

So the only thing I can do is to sell off the 'F-6' cam and buy a 'C-3' cam,right?How much would the cam cost?Any clue where I can get it?

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I am not sure about the drawlength the shop is telling you.

Here is the most accurate way I know to measure drawlength...face a wall and spread you arms out to the side, palms facing the wall...measure your wingspan in inchs from fingertip to fingertip. Divide that number by 2. Now subtract 7 1/2.

That is your drawlength.....here is an example

My wingspan is 73"
Divide by two=36 1/2"
Subtract 7 1/2"
=29"

The speed difference....all else being equal, seems to be about 5 or 6 feet per second. Not really alot, but when you are trying to shoot a protec for 3-d, and you have a short drawlength to start, that 5 or 6fps comes in handy.

BTW, this is just my opinion, but I think that the cam 1/2 shoots best on the E or F slot.

As to the cost....I honestly have no clue. You would probably have to go through a dealer to get the right cams if you cannot find a set for sale in the classifieds here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Draw length

I've tried using the bows at the shop to measure one's draw length and it measured to about almost 29,about 28 6/7 inches.

Then with the help of my uncle(who shoot recurve,who also introduced me to archery)measured about 29.The method we used was that I fist my bow arm to the wall and my draw arm to the anchoring chin.we measured the lenght from the wall/fist to the anchored fingers.This was for recurves.

Can I use the same shooting style / form that I've shot with a recurve/long bow for a compound?

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Now you are asking the wrong guy!:D If you ever watched me shoot a recurve, you would laugh until you cried!

MerlinApexDlyan is on here alot, and I am pretty sure he shoots recurves alot, as well as compounds. He would be better able to help you out there.

By the way....28 6/7"........what kind of tape measures do you have in Malaysia?:D

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
You can shoot compound with the same form you use for recurve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A smile on my face

I was using the 28 6/7'' to make up 28.8++.It was about 28-29,DL.

A big THANK YOU :D to you guys,Big Country & Ian for telling me the I can in fact use recurve form to shoot a compound.

The Archery thing with me started when my uncle gave me a long bow to shoot with.I loved it until the limbs cracked :( . Found out later that I couldn't sleep,I was kinda addicted to shooting arrows.To find a replacement,I went from almost buying a Hoyt Gold Medalist to the current 2003 Protec that I have.(archery in Malaysia is not a too affordable sports).I've been shooting recurve form since long time and now the shop guys are telling me to bend the bow arm a little to take the torque / recoil of the bow when release.Had problems adjusting the form.

Thanks to you guys I can now stick back to my old form on compounds. I was actually trying the old form that day on the field,and I was actually very comfortable with it.

Thanks again :D, can't wait to try it. Trying to set up the target box to shoot in my house.
:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The recurve form WORKS !!!!!

A BIG THANK YOU to you guys,

It actually works!!!!!!:)

Been trying to fix that for weeks.At least there is some consistency going around.
Lost an alu arrow doing that though.Flew off somewhere.Neighbour's house I think.Hope their dogs don't get
too hungry.
But they say no pain,no gain,eh?

Currently the arrows keep hitting the upper right portion of the target face.Any suggestions to this? I'm thinking of adjusting the arrow rest, or do I need more practice?

Thanks

:)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts