Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a trip to Cabela's tonite to shot the MT Sport and the MagnaTec. Both were very nice and one or the other is going to be my choice.

Also, check out this tidbit of info! Cabela's is having a sale on their Hoyt bows starting tomorrow! This will take the MagnaTec from $329.99 to $299.99 and the MT Sport from $319.99 tp $289.00.

I also found a site and a rest that I am going w/.

Site:
It's the Trophy Ridge Flatliner. It doesn't have ALL the features, but it's $49.99 and that's really the biggest issue. The pins come out of the bottom and it comes in a 5 pin setup. What's cool about this type of Trophy Ridge is you don't need tools to adjust it.

Rest:
I am going w/ the Quik Tune Drop Away. It's $44.99 for the rest.

MT Sport = $290.00
Rest = $49.99
Site = $44.99
Arrows (12 Cabela's carbons) = $44.99
Release = $49.99
Stabilizer = $19.99
Misc = $20.00
Total = $519.95

This right around the price I am wanting. It's my first bow, so I don't wanna go too far overboard.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Think hard?

Just remember that the 10-20$ you save now by going through a catalog like Cabela's might cost you 50-75$ later when you need it repaired by your local Dealer!:eek: Ken

·
74,535 Posts
Good choice

I think you did good and good luck. Lets us know how you like it.

·
Made in USA
1,735 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. I'm sure my wife is thankful that I've never been to a cabela's store, but I'm wondering how they set you up with a new bow. Do they measure you for draw length and paper tune ? use a crankboard to make sure the cams are timed properly ? can you shoot the bow for a while before you decide ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Think hard?

I BOW 2 said:
Just remember that the 10-20$ you save now by going through a catalog like Cabela's might cost you 50-75$ later when you need it repaired by your local Dealer!
Well, I have a store here in Kansas City, so I don't have to mess w/ any catalog stuff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dartonman said:
Sounds like a great deal. I'm sure my wife is thankful that I've never been to a cabela's store, but I'm wondering how they set you up with a new bow. Do they measure you for draw length and paper tune ? use a crankboard to make sure the cams are timed properly ? can you shoot the bow for a while before you decide ?
My wife thinks that store is evil. =P

Per the guy there last nite, he said you just draw the bow back to measure draw length. This is one reason why I don't know if I am going to purchase bow there. Alot of guys are part time and I don't know if they know much.

I am going to a local dealer, Vic's Archery, here this Saturday to check out some bows before I purchase one at Cabela's. I have heard their customer service is excellent. If they can give me a comparable price, I will get one there.

Regarding your question about shooting in the store...yes, they do have a 10 yard range and will let you shoot before you buy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jamaro said:
Hey everybody
J-dawg here... Just to pass along some info.
www.archeryexperts.com also has some of the single cam hoyt bows for sale... Look in the clearance section.
There are some good deals.
Thanks for the info. I checked the site and found these deals:

*2001 PSE Carrera - Originally $579.99, now $239.99.
*2001 Hoyt Vortec - Originally $649.99, now $349.99.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Guess I was right then!

I See that you found that just because you have nice big store near you that does not mean it is filled with competent well intended people does it!:p
Most dealers would love to set-you up properly rather than have to "FIX" what the discount store did "TO" you the first time.
Ken

·
Registered
644 Posts
I watch the guys at Bass Pro sucker customers into buying bow and ill fitted equipment quite a bit. I've bitten my tongue a few times but had to tell one of the salesman he was on crack when he was telling a guy that a bow with obviously too long a draw( LIke 2"+) fit him just fine. Go to a pro shop, where they know how the bow fits and what works, and is thier lively hood and only buisness. No offense to some to you guys out there but a lot of guys NOT ALLl that work at those place are bowhunters only, who have never probably had any expereince woking on a bow,and to some chain stores that qualifies you as an expert in archery, I don't think so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey DarthTedd my uncle has a pro shop in Emporia. He has all of his hoyt bows on sale. They are cheap and you will get the best service. He is also a pro and shoots for Mathews so he knows all of his stuff. It is called the Gun Den. Hope you take a look.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Long Drive!

Thanks for the info, but I live north of Platte City, MO here in Kansas City. I think Emporia would be around a 2 hour drive. I would like the shop to be a bit closer in case I need service.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Hi eveybody
I agree that it is nice to have a good bow shop close to home but that is not always possible...
FOR ME, I think the bottom line is that bows are pretty simple machines. I think it makes us better shooters if we really understand how bows work and do our own work on our bows.
Have I made mistakes??? Sure but nothing too bad...
J-Dawg

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Try this spin!

J-Dawg, what would have happened if you "didn't" have a clue as to how your archery equipment worked. Do you think you would end up like the Thousands of first time Archers and Bowhunters that just could never seem to make it work? And the end result is they either have some of the worst form problems do to a lack of correct form knowledge or "THe Biggie" they just end up quitting.
I beleive the greatest reason for people turnover in our sport is a failure to acheive the satisfaction that they thought they would get out of the sport. Does the knowledgeable archer "Always" need to go to his Pro shop? Not at all but even the most experienced shooter can pickup something new to add to thier arsenal of Achery knowledge. So above all else support your local Pro shop and soon the "KMART" hunters will see the Blue light Special!:D Ken

·
Registered
644 Posts
Amen I bow. SOmething to be said for paying $20 more and getting a friend and a lifetime of service just by buying a bow from a shop. I now a lot of guys don't have pro shops nearby, but I know guys who travel 3 or 4 hours just to come to our shop. And people send thier bow for servicing from all over the US and abroad. Obviously, some proshops have a good enough reputation and skill to earn that buisness!

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I Bow
Good points...But I really believe that we should be as knowledgable(sp?) about our equipment as possible... If I am chasing elk and I have packed in 10 miles on my back.. I don't want to have to come back unless I have to... So.. i think it pays to be able to fix things ourselves..
About form.. yes.. WE can all learn okay maybe me more than others..
j-
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts