Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm left handed and bought an HTR back in October/November. I'd not purchased a bow in probably 10 years and am very happy with the upgrade. Have said many times I may never buy another bow - love it and have split a few arrows. Took my shooting (and the overall shooting experience) to another level.

Went to my first archery tournament (fundraiser) with my son yesterday and won a brand new right handed HTX. It doesn't have a string loop and has never even been pulled back. Love the way it looks. Dealer tells me he will trade me for a left handed model - no charge - assuming I don't mount anything on it or pull it back. After doing some reading I just can't see a reason to make the change - unless maybe looking at a Halon. I haven't asked the dealer about switching to Halon and paying the difference, but I'm sure he'd allow.

Few questions:

1) Do you think I should make a switch from HTR to HTX?
2) if I trade this HTX for a halon and keep two bows - will it mess me up going back and forth between the two?
3) assuming I decide against keeping another bow - what is a realistic asking price for this bow (right or left handed)? Do you think it'd be easier to sell a new right handed one? Warranty has not been sent in or anything it is literally brand new - though I don't have the box for it - I assume I can get it.

Thank you for your advise.

Nitrosteel

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Going back and forth between two different bows should not mess anything up as they would both be setup to you and how you shoot. It's always nice to have a backup up bow in case something were to happen to one.
Me personally, I would trade up to the Halon if your dealer allows it. I have an HTR, and a Halon and love them both.
If you choose to sell it, I would think it will be easier to sell being right handed because right hand just seems to be more common! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
the HTR and HTX are quite similar, if you wanting a different shooting experience. get the halon. HTX is a solid bow if you really like the feel

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm debating between HTR and HTX right now. HTX is two inches shorter and a little lighter. I live in Montana and do lots of walking while hunting so a lighter and shorter bow is a little nicer. Also do ground blind hunting and tree stand hunting, and I like a little shorter bow for that. Just thought I would mention these differences in case they are important to you.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Congrats on winning a super nice bow. If you do not need that additional cash that selling the bow would bring, then I also agree two bows is a good thing. It not only gives you a back up but helps keep practicing interesting, especially if the second shoots a little different than first.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would have the best of both worlds. If you really like your htr and don't care about losing a small bit of weight and adding a bit of speed, trade that htx in towards a halon. I wish I had your problem no real wrong way to go.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It really comes down to draw length and personal preference. The htx only goes to 29" draw and some with a 29" draw have mentioned issues with the peep angle when at max draw length. If your draw is shorter than 29" you may like the added speed of the htx.
Ultimately you would have to shoot it and decide for yourself although I would probably follow the advice of those who posted above and go with the htr and halon. HTR and htx are too close to justify having both.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you don't want it is gladly take it off your hands lol. It's a great bow. If you like your HTR then stick to that. You're not gaining a whole lot with the new bow. Maybe a couple fps

·
Registered
294 Posts
Halon is shorter ATA than the HTR. The Halon is going to give you more speed. It's 50/50. If you want a good target/3D rig, order a Halon X. Most shops charge an extra $100 over the camo for black or stone. But you can wheel and deal em.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Or use the HTR for hunting and get the Halon X for target in 3d.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Halon 6 today. It cost a grand total of $100 plus QAD Ultra and sight. I can't see any negative except weight versus my HTR, and the weight isn't really noticeable. Man - it is fast and smooth.

I love the new camo color - couldn't believe a left hander was actually in stock. It was easy to talk me into it...

Nitrosteel

·
Registered
375 Posts
Congrats on the new bow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts