Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up with a new HTX after shooting n the shop it tuned up amazingly. However after a number of shots I was walk back tuning and noticed tail left, checked thru paper and sure enough left tears. Appears I have a top cam lean / and have had to move the rest (hdx) all the way inside to get good flight, however in doing so will not be able to shoot a broadhead. The pics are at rest but there still is lean at draw.

Bow set 60lbs 26.5" mod 389 gr axis 400 cut 25.75".

I have contacted the dealer and sent a question to Mathews but being the weekend thought I'd post if there was an easy solution someone knew of?

Any input is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I would say your dealer is going to have to play with top hat bushings to get the arrow lined up correctly.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
I just got my HTR in yesterday so I'm not that familiar yet with tuning Mathews No Cam system yet, but without any yokes it's hard to control cam lean on a short ATA bow to begin with.
Looking at the last picture you posted is it possible that the cable that is installed on the AVS side of the top cam has less twists in it than the other side? That's just a guess but if so it might allow the cam to be pulled off to one side. I know the easiest answer is the roller guard is pulling it off, but maybe it shouldn't be that much?

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say your dealer is going to have to play with top hat bushings to get the arrow lined up correctly.
I read this from a past thread but it wasn't clear as to whether it actually resolves the issue, nor have I any experience with the nocams so wasn't sure how hard it was to do?

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got my HTR in yesterday so I'm not that familiar yet with tuning Mathews No Cam system yet, but without any yokes it's hard to control cam lean on a short ATA bow to begin with.
Looking at the last picture you posted is it possible that the cable that is installed on the AVS side of the top cam has less twists in it than the other side? That's just a guess but if so it might allow the cam to be pulled off to one side. I know the easiest answer is the roller guard is pulling it off, but maybe it shouldn't be that much?
Yes there is the cable on that outside of the cam but haven't been able to find any information as to whether they actually act like a yoke and would pull the cam in line so didn't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
From the pictures it looks like more then a top hat adjustment...looks like one of your limbs is not locked into the pocket correctly...make sure both limbs are against the back side of the limb pocket and the roll pins are in place..I would not shoot it until it is corrected...if everything is in place I would start by swapping the top 2 limbs around or just get new top limb under warranty.

With that lean the smaller top hat should be on the shelf or left side of the cam

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the pictures it looks like more then a top hat adjustment...looks like one of your limbs is not locked into the pocket correctly...make sure both limbs are against the back side of the limb pocket and the roll pins are in place..I would not shoot it until it is corrected...if everything is in place I would start by swapping the top 2 limbs around or just get new top limb under warranty.

With that lean the smaller top hat should be on the shelf or left side of the cam
Thanks, I've got tues off so will likely be making the drive to my dlr and just let them handle it as this is my 1st Mathews in a couple yrs and see if they can work on it or if it needs to be sent in.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm afraid this could be a little time consuming if it has to be sent in, but does anyone know are the htx and Htr limbs the same? If so that may help with turnaround times?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Only one thing worse than cam lean. Cam lean on a bow with no yokes. Hate it so much it's kept me shooting a solo cam.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only one thing worse than cam lean. Cam lean on a bow with no yokes. Hate it so much it's kept me shooting a solo cam.
Ya won't deny that, but it did shoot fantastic for me, and when it is all fixed (as sometimes they do go wrong) I imagine I will be very happy with it again, or should say hope I will.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Ya won't deny that, but it did shoot fantastic for me, and when it is all fixed (as sometimes they do go wrong) I imagine I will be very happy with it again, or should say hope I will.
No doubt. Awesome bow, sometimes were faced with lean. Whatya gonna do? That's why working with an excellent dealer is crucial. You are at their mercy.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do the Mathews dealers stock the shims or top hats do this in house or do the bows have to go in?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Do the Mathews dealers stock the shims or top hats do this in house or do the bows have to go in?
If a dealer needs them Mathews will send them...some dealers do and others don't...Cam lean is the first thing I check before I set up any bow so I stock them.

Your bow looks like it has a limb that is not correctly seated in the limb pocket

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If a dealer needs them Mathews will send them...some dealers do and others don't...Cam lean is the first thing I check before I set up any bow so I stock them.

Your bow looks like it has a limb that is not correctly seated in the limb pocket
I'm not sure how to tell if the limb isn't seated right. I'm curious if my dlr can't fix it what is Mathews turn around like?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
That right limb in last picture looks like it's sitting lower then the left . I'm going with what others have said , not seated right in the pocket or you got a weak limb .

·
Registered
6,690 Posts

sure looks that way

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

Looks like a weak limb on the right side and/or uneven tapping by the MFG. Like stated above, the smaller top hat is already on the right side, switching to a longer one will only make the lean worse.

These bows without yoke can be a hit or miss. Ideally, the cam should be have a slight "\" lean at brace and straight "|" at full draw due to the cable guard torque.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm not sure how to tell if the limb isn't seated right. I'm curious if my dlr can't fix it what is Mathews turn around like?
Look at the under side of the limb pocket to see if both limbs are against the back of the limb pocket....also make sure that the roll pins are in both limbs.

If your dealer cannot handle the problem turn around is very quick from Mathews..once they get the bow....in 20 yrs of being a dealer I may have sent 2 back...this problem should not have to go back to Mathews

·
Registered
566 Posts
i have the HTR and agree, something doesn't look right in that pic, I agree with bownazi. where did you get the bow? you said it tuned great, does that mean it initially paper tuned etc, then after a few shots it didn't?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts