Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im using my husband's login, I was wondering how many of you guys get up in a tree? I like to hunt in a ground blind, but he's saying i'll have a better chance in a tree. To me the climbers are big, bulky and heavy.

I know i have a better chance, but we do alot of walking to get to our spot(1 mile each way) my question is, do you guys go up , and what kind of climber do you use? Thanks, any information will help.
P.S. I'm also alittle scared.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mrs. hooked22 - I agree with your husband... IMO, a bowhunter has a MUCH better chance for sucess in a tree rather than on the ground... I use a Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber - it's not quite as comfy as my previous climber(API Grand Slam), but comfy enough... what it is, is the lightest, easiest to carry, most compact, and quietest climber I've EVER used(and I've used a few)...I finally came to the realization, that I spent more time carrying a climber than actually climbing with it, and that if carrying it was easier, I'd be more likely to get where I needed to be, to take the deer I wanted... I made that decision a couple of years ago, and have NEVER regretted it... Hope this helps...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Iwould say that a stand increases your chances on seeing game.But you do what feels right to you,if your scared of heights you might want to stay grounded.But honestly, if you get a good stand,you will soon be as comfortable on the tree as you are on the ground.
If you do go with a stand,get a good one for yourself.I would recommend "Summit"because they are great stands at a good price,and they send you a "seat of the pants"harness which I strongly recommend you use anytime you hit the tree.....best of luck....:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Climber

The big advantage is getting your scent above the animal. About 12-15 feet does it. Also, your shots are downward, so you are less likely to hit anything but your target or dirt. I use a Summit Viper and I really like it. It weighs right around 17 lbs and is made of aircraft aluminum. It also has the self contained locking mechanism for the cable, so you don't have to worry about losing any hardware. I use it on a variety of trees, but will not put a stand on hickory...too hard and slippery. Highly advise using a harness. It doesn't take that much more time to put on and use. A pretty good one came free with my Summit stand. I also think it's important to practice putting your stand up before season and practicing your shots from an elevated platform. I think you'll love hunting from a climber. You'll see more game and that will keep your interest. Gerber makes a real nice little folding pruning saw that will be invaluable to you for about $14. Good luck!

·
Registered
441 Posts
mrshooked22,I agree with your husband.treestands do give you a better chance at seeing deer.But if you are afraid of heights be sure you don't press the high part.12 to 15 ft usually is good enough.Be sure to practice with whatever stand you choose until you are comfortable climbing with it.IF YOUR FEET AIN'T ON THE GROUND WEAR A SAFTEY BELT.I use a Grand Ol'Man and an old model Summit climber.Most are well made just find the one that suits YOUR needs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
33 yrs of climbin in a tree does somethin to a man, might work on a woman too

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree 100% with the previous posts about safety harnesses - ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!!!! belt off if your feet are leaving the ground - if not for yourself, do it for your loved ones... I cannot stress that enough... As for seeing deer, that's one of the huge plusses of being elevated, not only will you see deer that you might not of seen while on the ground, you'll see them sooner, and be able to prepare for your shot sooner in their approach - which can be huge sometimes... Lastly, I'm not exactly all that comfortable with heights, either - but after being in the air a few times, ALWAYS being "hooked up" to the tree, and the increased sighting of deer, I'm soon over any "height discomfort" I might have been experiencing...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I also was a little, well lets not say scared but uncomfortable the first couple of times i used my summit bushmaster but after that i was fine. For bowhunting i usually go about 20ft but for gun hunting i'll go as high as the tree will let me. At 16lbs this stand would be great for you or you could go with the mini viper because it will be easier for you to use. I believe it is 17lbs. Summit stands are very solid and well made so there's no need to be scared. Plus you get a free seat of the pants safety harness.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:)Although I have a personal preferance with the summit climbing stand I would like to say and, tell you that before you even go out and hunt with a climber or, any tree stand safety MUST be first and, foremost. Work with your husband and, get him to assist you in practicing going up and, down trees with it. Learn how to use the stands features and, how to get onto the tree and, such. Also contrary to some ways of thinking there are no animals alive that are worth getting yourself hurt or injured for life by not using tree stands properly or taking (chances) short-cuts. I am not trying to scare you or talk you out of using an elevated stand as I too love my climber and, believe that it increases chances by helping get you out of the deers eye view and, it gives you a good vantage point to see around. I just don't want you to have a bad or experience that leaves you wishing that you would have never tried using a tree stand. I also use a three point body harness that supports the entire body and, hooks at the center of your back. I like to keep the rope that goes around the tree at a length that prevents me from falling very far. I am sure your husband has thought these things out but, I just thought I would throw my two cents in. I WOULD NEVER WANT OR DESIRE TO SEE FELLOW AND LADIES WHO HUNT END UP HURT. As far as stands the choices are many and, I like comfort if I am going to sit for any length of time. The choice is yours buy, take a look at summit as I like the way you can put your feet on the platform and, climb and, decend--it doesn't slip when used properly. Also is fairly light and, easy to get on a tree.I know there are many stands out there look at them all and make a choice with hubby involved. Good luck and, PLEASE do not get hurt. I think you will like the view from above. P.S.--the summit has two bags available that attach to each side of the arm rest area--you can stash stuff in them. I know a lady my wife works with who will read a small book while on the stand and, even play a little video game that is silent. I used to laugh until two years ago she filled her tag with a dandy eight point and, hubby ended the season empty handed. We don't laugh now. It wasn't luck either as she scouted and, wanted to put up in a tree at her hand picked spot. Her hubby was furious when he saw she had toted a book and video game to the woods. To this day we still laugh at this situation. She told us she new when get serious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts