Archery Talk Forum banner

HUGE ROADKILL...pics !!

2366 11
HUGE maybe an underestimate of the size of this blackie but what a shame... it was roadkilled this week near my home in Cambria Co. PA...weighed 522 lbs, would easily have been well over 600 come our late Nov. season, sure would have made someone the trophy of two lifetimes... I realize it has nothing to do with hunting but I thought that some of you would take it as a point of interest..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14,752 Posts
thats a big one alright,,have any pictures of the car??

· Registered
276 Posts
Wow he is huge. Its a shame he had to come to end the way he did.

· Registered
600 Posts
Yepper he is a Very Nice size bear... That time of the year again where bear and cars cross paths....

Today I was called away to help the local Taxidermist Skin out a Road kill Black bear the dec office dropped off for a half mount ...And we had to save the skull for them aswell, But odd this Time they didn't want the Back half of the Hide or rear legs and paws for lamps even....I Checked over the carcuss for some back legs to cook up or tenderloins to fry up tonight to eat.. But the rear legs after I skinned them seemed beat up as the skin/leather separated from the thigh area on both rear legs ..the tenderloins seemed in nice shape, But the dec offer that shot the bear 4 times at close range never told us how long again he shoot the bear before bringing it up,

yet they normally take just 1 Broadhead.. Maybe he was using a Rubber Lesshuman bullet 3 times and then noticed it and placed in a hollow jacketed round.... As I Could only see one threw and threw Shot Right in the arm pit to arm pit area of the carcus....

Anyhow it is a shame to hear of a bear passing away to a car or truck.. as a Hunter will harvest them without truck or car damage for added insurance for the owner.. also we will Most likely eat and have mounted what we harvest... Most hit with a car are Yelled at by the folks that hit it for the damage done to the car and left in the ditch for nature to take it's cure on the critter....

Best wishes and Add a Brush gaurd I guess....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.