2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first several years I hunted from treestands,carried a plastic
pop bottle.I soon tired of carriy it and stopped.I relieved myself
from the stand.My success rate never went down and I never
saw one deer spook after smelling it.Only a few even seemed to
smell it at all.From what I have seen over 10 years I will never
carry a bottle or require anyone hunting my stands to.Even so,
I know this topic is often debated among hunters.Sorather than relying on my experiences, I called several deer biologists to determine the scientific community's thoughts on wether deer are
frightened by human urine. Professor Miller said all animal urines are complex. Urine contains hundreds of chemicals related to diet and physiology of the animal producing it. Miller said chemical differences exist in the urin of every animal,but that doesnt mean human urine will spook a deer faster than fox or coyote urine.
Miller is certain human urine does not contain our scent in the way deer recognize human ordor.
In other words,human urine doesnt smell like a person.To a deer ,it simply smells like urine,possibly predator urine,but not necessarily human.Of the four biologist interviewed--Professor Miller,Dr.Grant Woods,Dr.Harry Jacobsen and C.J. Winand---all said they urinate into scrapes.
Miller said he has also seen buck lip curl after smelling human urine. This shouldnt cause you to change your scent products,but it should cause less worry when relieving yourself while on stand.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I will be selling my urine on EBAY as a deer attractant!

My urine does wonders for those carbon suits if you soak them in it.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
LX_Shooter,
I've never noticed any adverse effects of human urine from deer either. I believe your findings are very accurate. :)

In fact a close hunting buddy of mine had an intruding hunter in his hunting area and on several occasions he would urinate on his tree to spook the deer away from his area. However, this became the demise of a nice 8-pointer as he sniffed the urine, the intruding hunter shot him through the spine. :rolleyes:

Yet anonther hunting buddy said that he'd urinated from his stand because he just couldn't wait any longer and had 4 does come running to the sound of the urine hitting the leaves. He's repeated this by using a squirt bottle of water and it had the same effect via the sound of it hitting the leaves. ;)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Banned
333 Posts
lx

I don't know about ar. white tails. But I DO know about georgia deer. If you pee out of your stand in georgia , THE JIG IS UP!!!!!' ,FACT: you may see [just may at best] small does or basket racks . but the ones we are all after ? not likely. ....tool....:)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys my findings are the same also but what I wrote was out of Whitetail Hunting Strategies if you want to read the rest.
It has an whole thing on different scent sititution's.
The guy that wrote it is Bill Winke........:D

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Funny

Billwinke quotes the same guys at U of Ga that did t he study using penned deer

They used graduate students, non hunters and I can t ellyou penned deer are so bored they will investigate anything

Feel free to pee fromyou stand and even do a number # 2 Pop too

Fell free this in America

But I won't be hunting with you OK

Once whenI was guiding bear hunts in Ontario I was walking up to a stadn that had a hunter on it witha pair of pails of bait to freshen it up sicne the bear ahs been cleaning it out every night

He didnt see me walk up and to my surprise he was " spanking his monkey" standing up facing the Bait pile 9 yards away

After that we made him hunt that stand till he left and he never saw a bear.

His Buddy, also from Jersey, decided our local baits were not good enough ..... he complaiend that the bear had quit hitting hsi bait .

Another guide and I went in one mornign and found he had Put a chicken, picked and I guess was frozen, Perdue on top of the bait like a yellow flag

Thats must have Spooked Mr Blackie so Bad they didnt even feed at night after that.
He didnt want us to remove the chicken either............

Maybe he peed too,.... I dont know but we would not let him change stands either

This is when the Ontario Bowhunters Assn offered Guided Spring bears Bowhuntsfor $85 a week up at North Bay Ont

Tink

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
take a bottle & pee in it, why be lazy. why take the chance of a lifetime & scare away that monster that may have come into your stand? If you wiz everywhere around your stand why even bother taking a scent free bath or buying 150.00 jackets with carbon in them?

Bill W. can do whatever he wants, he writes magazine articles but it does not mean his word is always right & they are printed on Golden Paper. I would be willing to bet most hunters (including other wirters) don't share his point of view on this topic.

I'll take the advise of Tink anyday over Bill when it comes to scents!

:D

·
Banned
333 Posts
I'M

with you tink,, if you want to ruin a stand take aleek around it !!! man that is funny about the monkey spanker i'll bet that was a real shocker .... what did you tell the other guides???? or was that part of the formula for DIXIE DEER LURE????:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I would believe someone that WAS NOT selling cover scent over someone that was.....;) ....But I'll I was getting at if the urge hits ya when you Dont have a bottle it's not like your comitting a sin, Has some would have you beleive....

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I think I would believe someone that WAS NOT selling cover scent over someone that was..

If you dont think bill winkie is selling something , you've never seen his show , or a mathews propaganda tape . After seeing him a few times I wounder why anyone listens to a word he says . While I've had luck pissing in scrapes before , I may stop due to the advise given by a real hunter , Africanbowhunter .

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
While chewing fresh, rut soaked tarsal glands like gum, I drink 2 quarts of CWD infested goat urine right before I go hunting. Deer often walk within 5 feet of me downwind without spooking. I don't know if they think I'm a sick goat or just a sick individual, but they fear me not.

·
Banned
333 Posts
t

I gotta hunt in texas ,, are they all like you???:D :D :D

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Polarbear said:
DeerTexas,

I am CWD infested goat urine intolerant. Can you recommend an alternative?
CWD infested goat urine is sometimes hard for even me to come by. When I can't find it and WI is fresh out, I rub 3 day old maggot laden buzzard vomit on my face, feet, and armpits. It works pretty good too. Critters just think I'm dead. Again, no fear. I've killed some of my best bucks this way. Try it!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Re: Re: DT-Tore Up From The Floor Up!

DeerTexas said:
You tryin to tell me you've never used 3 day old maggot laden buzzard vomit as a cover scent?
Not yet, No buzzards here.:( When I get the chance to come down and hunt with ya, you can demonstrate for me.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts