Archery Talk Forum banner

Hungarian Recurve Bow Newbie

1286 4
Well, I'm just getting started here on Archery Talk and I have to say that I am very impressed with this site. Tons of experience and knowledge. So here is what I'm hoping to get some help with. I just received a Hungarian Recurve Bow with a 60# draw at 28 inches as a gift. I have only ever shot long bow and I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me what exactly to expect? Any suggestions on what type of arrows to use for target and for hunting, or any helpful tips for that matter. It has an extremely smooth draw and although I haven't shot it yet it seem as if will pack a pretty good punch. So if anyone could offer any guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

~Scout6
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a Kassai Bear. I will be shooting it this weekend. Very excited. I hope its enjoyable and doesn't beat me up. You kinda have me worried :) Not really. You know anything about this type/style?

· Registered
49 Posts
I've shot a few Kassais before. I am not sure if it's the Bear. They are alright with minimal handshock. Not super fast but really smooth to draw. Let me know how it goes. They are not bad for the money actually.

I usually, make my own Asian/Middle Eastern inspired bows. I usually stay away from the Hungarian types because it's hard to make an efficient bow with big tips. My favorite types are The Crimean Tartar, Turkish, and Korean Bows.

Here are a few I made:
Water Tree Branch Plant

Bow and arrow Arrow Bow Archery

Bow and arrow Longbow Bow Eyewear Archery

· Registered
220 Posts
I have 80# Kassai Bear. It is measured @30", so is it 60#@28 or 60#@30"?

There is some hand shock, even harder with thumbring, ok to shoot at mediterranean style.

Can´t compare with korean bow, which have no handshock.

JhoneilC, good looking bow.:thumbs_up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.