Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt in South Texas and last weekend I got eaten alive with chiggers while out in the field. Any suggestions on insect repellants that will keep off the bugs but won't broadcast my location to every whitetail in the county? FYI I do hunt using a scent lock suit.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
Coulston's Duranon Tick Repellent. This stuff is super. Ticks don't think about getting on you, chiggers stay away, gnats don't bother you. Mosquitoes try to land on you and they fall over dead. Plus it is odorless. The only thing is you CAN'T spray it on your skin. Big no no. You have to hang your closthes OUTSIDE. Put on some rubber gloves then spray your clothes and then soak your clothes. Then let it dry for like 4 hours. Do your camo, your hat, your socks, your lucky unnderwear! The stuff last I believe like 2 weeks with washing. I haven't had to use it in a few seasons. The bugs weren't bad in the place I was hunting. But when I hunted marsh land with everything that bit guys swore by this stuff so I tried it. I used to laugh at the mosquitos as they would land on my shirt our jacket and then fall over dead.

The last time I bought some it was $8.99 at the Pro Shop.

·
Registered
321 Posts
How good is "No Stinkin Bugs"?
I could smell it,it smells like OFF.
Does it matter to the deer?

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Duranon is Oldorless when dry

Red The Hornets Posit Bu dorn put it on oyur skin

It willget into your systemand hurt you but on the outside of clothng its OK

Also caleld Permonone

bass pro shops sells it most better grade Sports Shops too

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Duranon was desined not to enter your system

permanone is designed not to enter your system it bonds to clothing not your skin

Its safe and willprevent Malaira & west Nile Virus which does kill you

Use deet of you wish
The man had a good question

there are several choices It willnot poisen you Sir

TINK

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Re: Duranon was desined not to enter your system

Chiggers are ***** cats compared to seed ticks.

Permanone is the ONLY route to go to keep them off until after a couple of good hard frosts.

Skeeters - Try ThermaCELL

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I use No Stinkin Bugs and mine smells like earth, not Off.
I use it sparingly and then spray Scent Killer over it anyway just to be sure. No bug bites.

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
Duranon and Permanone are the only things that I have EVER used that actually works. Even if you use spray with DEET in it you can and still will get bit. Plus the stuff doesn't last that long. I have pulled alot of ticks off within a 1/2 hour after putting on stuff with DEET. It doesn't work 1/8 as good as Duranon or Permanone. When I go fishing I takea Bounce fabric softner sheet and rub it all over my neck, face, arms and legs. The bugs don't mess with you at all. But it doesn't last to long.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Seed Ticks -

"The tick life cycle includes four stages: egg, six-legged larvae, eight-legged nymphs and the adult. Engorged female ticks deposit large numbers of eggs either in one large batch (several thousand) or several smaller batches. The eggs hatch into small six-legged larvae (seed ticks). These seed ticks crawl up on vegetation and, as a host animal passes, attach to an animal (quests). Once attached, the seed tick feeds on blood and either remains on the animal (one-host tick) or drops off to reattach later as a nymph. The nymph, after feeding, drops off and changes to the adult, which will reattach later. The survival rate for seed ticks, nymphs and even adult ticks is very low because of a hostile environment or difficulty in finding a host, but this is offset by the great number of eggs deposited by the female, and the capacity of all stages to survive long periods without feeding."

Seed ticks bury in and will itch for at least two to three weeks. They come in clusters of several hundred. So if you get one on you, you've usually got a hundred.

Mean little motor scooters..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dens228 said:
I use No Stinkin Bugs and mine smells like earth, not Off.
I use it sparingly and then spray Scent Killer over it anyway just to be sure. No bug bites.
I bought the "Earth scent" and I can definitely smell Earth scent....along with OFF.
It worked for me Yesterday as far as keeping the bugs off,I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tested it on deer.
I kicked up two does while trying to stiffle a sneeze(release raked quiver)so I can't attribute it to the bug spray.
They were 40yd away,downwind,in the rain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts